The XProto Project - AquaFusion, Vertical, Chrome, Industrial.

Soldato
I'm finally delving into the realm of open frames! I've been missing my Evolv Shift X with its vertical layout but remembered how much of a pain it was to configure and get right, which also subsequently made cooling abit pants if i had internal rads fitted. There is no difference with this new build though, i will still be using the external rad (Invested too much to just leave it out now). However i will configure this one to allow for a all in one contained system with a single radiator incase i need to take it somewhere so i don't need to lumber the huge MoRA360 radiator around as well.

I will achieve this using Quick Disconnects allowing for quick MoRA360 detach and a single radiator install, should be plug and play in theory... We'll test this out when the time comes! This would also mean installing a pump somewhere within the system, though i've considered doing a all in one radiator with pump attached. I've seen a few variants of this type of config so will dive into it some more before i finalise the design. I will probably do this in stages, get the system built first then configure the single radiator later down the line.

Case chosen for this project: XTIA XPROTO L

uiyV2sk.jpg

Went with the extra long version for future gpu expansion, since everything seems to be getting bigger these days! This will allow for a 4090 FE aircooled if i wish to do so and will easily fit a watercooled card and some other gadgets below it (Flow meters, stat screens etc).

Like a numpty, when i bought the case (currently awaiting shipping) i forgot to purchase a set of Fan/rad mounts so will get some 3D printed by a friend using an existing file! I've asked him to modify the file and make it able to house 2x120mm fans so i can open up my options abit here. Also extended the mount by 10mm to allow for abit of a gap between the case and the fan mount itself, run cables, airflow etc.

iXlT2uF.jpg

zNrJGLP.jpg

I also thought about the tubing runs and how it will be held in place for rigidity since im using Quick Disconnects and mainly the MoRA360, i don't want the soft tubing on the MoRA pulling on the hardline tubing on the main system. Since i usually use a PCIE passthrough to get the Hardline tubing something to terminate to, i can't on the open frame so i decided to invest in some Hinged clips which i will modify somewhat allow for the tubing to sit snug inside and held in place without movement.

£2.something from Tool station for a pack of 20! Bargain!

O1fkGy6.jpg

The hardline tubing sits a little loose inside since it was rated for 15mm tubing so i will add some foam onto the inside of the top catch to help clamp it down properly. I've already done a test and it works which i will post up a little later.

With the vertical stack also comes another problem in the form of cables sticking out from the top! I have 2 options here, invest in the inverted mount allowing me to tip the case upside down so the cables face down and come out from the bottom OR invest in cable extensions. The cable extensions will mainly be for all my gpu outputs since i use them all, 3xDP and 1xHDMI and will allow me to run them down to the bottom of the case where i can attach allow for a clean exit out the bottom. A fellow redditor recommended these from ADT-Link:

5LXjBYy.jpg

In a 30cm length i think should be enough but i may go for a 35cm so it can sit close to the bottom of the case. Drill a couple of holes and mount them to the inside, or possibly really strong VHB tape would work too.

Case delivery should be a couple of weeks so will update this thread once everything is here. Will be reusing my current build components which consist of:
  • Intel 12700K
  • RTX 3090 Palit Gamingpro
  • Asus ROG Z690-i motherboard
  • Asus Loki 850w SFX-L psu
  • Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600mhz
Watercooling will consist of:
  • Heatkiller MoRA360 Radiator
  • Phantek T30 fans x 9
  • Heatkiller Reservoir with D5 combo
  • Koolance Quick Disconnects
  • EKWB Momentum2 Monoblock for cpu/motherboard
  • Corsair Hydro XT slim hardline Fittings
  • Corsair Hydro XT 14mm PMMA Tuning satin black
  • EKWB Micro rotary fittings
  • XSPC Inline filter
  • Bitspower inline digital flow meter

Thats all for now! check back in soon!

Soldato
OP
I love the XProto. I have visions of doing a build with a couple of 420mm rads slung under my desk. Sadly, budget deficit prevents, so I will have to live vicariously through your build

The project is slowly coming together, within the next couple of days i should be receiving most of the watercooling parts and also the Aqua Computer RGB controllers and internal usb hub splitter.

Lots of tubing to come still and finally im in the process of designing a Custom Distro plate for this little beast! I figured if im going to build another relatively extreme design i may as well go all out on this one.

So to start i made a rough sketch of the distro and where the ports and runs will be internally. Fill and drain ports included to keep things simple too.

Soldato
OP
Testing out the RGB stuff from Aquacomputer tonight to make sure it all functions. Absolutely blown away by the configurability of the Aqua Suite software! Ordered a couple of other sensors to incorporate into the new loop as well so hopefully if all goes well i can commence the build this weekend.

Soldato
OP
The case arrived early! Nice surprise! Still missing a few bits from aqua computer but i can commence the build tonight and work through the weekend.

Soldato
OP
Abit of progress from last night but still a ton to do. I really misjudged how little space there is inbetween the 2 panels! It's a good job the Asus Loki has really soft psu cables otherwise this would have been near impossible.

I missed a few bits while assembling so may need to go back and reassemble and incorporate those missing cables. Abit of a faff but necessary at this point.

Having the Aquacomputer gear underneath the case and not sandwiched inbetween was a good call too, it defo wouldn't have worked or ended well! Ended at 3am with this:

Tonights job will be running the tube lines and making it as clean as possible. Later on i'll add the temp sensors from aquacomputer when they arrive but i probs won't see those till next week at this rate.

Last edited:
Associate
Testing out the RGB stuff from Aquacomputer tonight to make sure it all functions. Absolutely blown away by the configurability of the Aqua Suite software! Ordered a couple of other sensors to incorporate into the new loop as well so hopefully if all goes well i can commence the build this weekend.

Are you able to get the 5V 3 pin working on the Faberwerk 360. I bought the wrong one by accident, but see the newer one uses its own connectors.

Soldato
OP
Are you able to get the 5V 3 pin working on the Faberwerk 360. I bought the wrong one by accident, but see the newer one uses its own connectors.

Yep they worked fine, its 4 channels split between the 3pin 5v or the rgbpx connector so one or the other. I plugged in the Phantek neon strips and it worked fine.

Soldato
OP
Base build and setup almost done! Once everything is up and running i'll start work on the more detailed distro block. I still need to make some adjustments in particular cable managing the rgb stuff... it's a mess and i really need shorter cables. I wish they made 15cm rgb cables and extensions. I'm at a point where stuff is either too long or too short and there's nothing inbetween that fits my needs.

My initial thought of mounting the Farbwek underneath the case has fallen flat on its face.. it's too tall with the Molex cable plugged in and so the only way now is to mount it to the side of the psu. This where my cable problem started as everything was perfect up until this point.

Associate
Yep they worked fine, its 4 channels split between the 3pin 5v or the rgbpx connector so one or the other. I plugged in the Phantek neon strips and it worked fine.
I'd be interested in getting a Faberwerk 360 since I have an Aqua Computer Hi Flo NZXT (which is awesome btw), and Octo and need the software anyway, however there is still no way to set the motherboard default light without having to install the Asus software which is annoying.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd be interested in getting a Faberwerk 360 since I have an Aqua Computer Hi Flo NZXT (which is awesome btw), and Octo and need the software anyway, however there is still no way to set the motherboard default light without having to install the Asus software which is annoying.

The Farbwerk 360 worsk really well, i can safely say its probably one of the best RGB management components i've ever used! The software as mentioned before is phenominal, so much tuning and combinations. I'm still messing with it now as there's so many combinations with all the light strips and rgb components i have in my blocks and psu as well lol.

Yeah unfortunately the motherboard can only be modified and controlled by Asus Software BUT have you tried something like open RGB or any other 3rd party to just set the motherboard light colours then save it and remove the software? I can't remember what i used before but it would say and right to the registry so on startup it would remember my settings but i wouldn't need to load up the software anymore or even have it running.

Soldato
OP
Never been a huge fan of open cases, but this build is really nice. Good job!

Thanks man, it's only the start of the journey! Next up is building the design up for the Distro at the front. Now that i know what it looks like and how it will run i can take accurate measurements.

Soldato
OP
Looking awesome. I really like the way you've mounted the QR hardware on the case feet

I was gonna drill holes at the bottom to mount the brackets that hold the QD's in place but i didn't want it to be permanent incase i change the design at some point. Using VHB tape was the best solution and it worked out great in the end.

Soldato
OP
@OC2000 this is how i've connected up the Farbwerk using the 3pin 5v connections instead of the rgbpx. All working fine and easy to configure. The rgbpx are much better connectors though, i think they are mini JST connectors and are much stronger.

Soldato
OP
Added an additional sensor and monitor panel to the front! Maybe a little overkill now but i love my stats panels and aquacomputer provides. I got the Vision Touch monitor which i connected to a aquacomputer temp sensor to give me a accurate read out of the outlet temps to the radiator. I'm waiting on another temp sensor for the return water temps which i will connect to the Farbwerk 360 to see how effect the cooling solution is passign through the MORA360.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom