Thermal Grizzly Mycro Direct-Die CPU Water Block - Sockel AM5

Associate
So who else is excited for this Block? I have watched some of the development vids that were posted. The temperature reductions alone make this pretty much the best on the market and a no brainer.

Soldato
So who else is excited for this Block? I have watched some of the development vids that were posted. The temperature reductions alone make this pretty much the best on the market and a no brainer.

Designed by Derbauer (Hope I spelt that right) I saw his video ages ago whilst he was still in the finishing process of designing it, it did look very nice, but for me, id be more concerned with the de-lid than anything else, ive only ever done 1 delid and that was to a haswell, I killed the chip, great overclocker too, brought another, successfully delidded it, got the temps way down, but it was a rubbish overclocker, im not too concerned about my temps now, im running a 65w 7900 non X and once youy've got curve optimizer sorted, it never goes over 75oC under water, but still boosts to 5.5ghz.

This video:

Associate
I don't think delidding is "worth" it anymore, arguably it wasn't really worth it back then either, not with the performance the newer chips offer. Obviously if you want to do it to mess about and have some fun, fine!

I did kill a processor with direct die, an old 9900k that was a pretty good overclocker. It was actually working fine, nickel waterblock ontop of it with liquid metal applied, but when I came to do some loop maintenance and took the waterblock off, it had stuck itself so hard to the die that I couldn't get it off without it literally pulling a chunk off the die. There was bits of silicon and dust everywhere inside the case, underneath the motherboard "armour" and such, a pain to clean and an expensive mistake at the time.

I still don't really understand why it adhered itself like that though. With that in mind I just stick to making things quiet and undervolting now. It'll have been user error I'm sure.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You can pretty much guarantee it's going to be stupidly expensive plus you have to go with the hassle of delidding your cpu and voiding the warranty. Delidding doesn't seem worthwhile any longer. It was different back when Haswell was current and I knocked a whopping 15-20 degrees C off a hot running 4790k by delidding and then relidding after putting some liquid metal between the die and IHS.

Soldato
You can pretty much guarantee it's going to be stupidly expensive plus you have to go with the hassle of delidding your cpu and voiding the warranty. Delidding doesn't seem worthwhile any longer. It was different back when Haswell was current and I knocked a whopping 15-20 degrees C off a hot running 4790k by delidding and then relidding after putting some liquid metal between the die and IHS.
I think he said about £130 for the RGB version, then of course as you said you need to delid your chips, so there's another £60 for the tool to do that, and possibly kill your chip either by delidding or scraping off the excess solder.

I may consider buying one for the shear simple look of it if he made a non direct die version.

Associate
OP
I am still hesitant with the delidding, but the tool seems to remove considerable stress and issue. plus the cryosheet removes the liquid metal leaching issue and reactions with the heat sink. and a 20 degree drop is significant.

Associate
That's the reason this block exists: delidding is very much worth it for AM5. That chonky-ass IHS AMD used in their quest to retain cooler compatibility with AM4 has shown to be a real issue.
Sure, but for your average user, or even above average (whatever that means)? I don't have a problem with people doing it at all, it's something for an enthusiast for sure and I only messed with my 9900k because I found it interesting and it meant I put off a system upgrade for awhile longer, it satisfied my itch to mess around with my pc again.

I can't really think of many reasons people would actually require the increased performance, though I'm sure there are edge cases. Maybe it helps with longevity of the chip, but an enthusiast will have moved on to something faster before that becomes an issue. Probably :p.

Soldato
Oh it is very much an enthusiast thing. If you have the technical chops to not want to re-use an AM4 cooler and are aware that the chonky IHS slaps a 20 degrees onto your CPU, then this product is for you.

Intel delidding came about because of the toothpaste Intel used from Ivy Bridge onwards hampering thermal efficiency. Wasn't an issue for your typical user, but enthusiasts and overclockers want to eke out every last drop of performance, or lower their operating temps. Same with Ryzen 7000 (and presumably beyond).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That's the reason this block exists: delidding is very much worth it for AM5. That chonky-ass IHS AMD used in their quest to retain cooler compatibility with AM4 has shown to be a real issue.

The biggest thing for me is that now CPU's have gotten so expensive the voiding of the warranty is now a major problem. It was different when you could get a top i5 for £125 and my first delid on a 4670k was done in a vice with a hammer. Even the lowest AM5 cpu is almost £220 with the majority well over £300 up to £670. That's not worth voiding the warranty in my opinion as not everybody has that sort of money as pocket change to replace a failed/broken cpu.

Associate
I can't remember which video it was, but GN put something out not too long ago where they showed a pretty straight forward delidding technique for AM5 that didn't look like it required much in the way of force/pressure to get the IHS off the chip.

Don't know if anyone here remembers it, but I think it might have been their investigation of the chips that were getting cooked with way too much vcore at 'default' settings?

Associate
OP
I think this could make some waves tbh, once people have got them and tested them and seen the performance boosts it can bring due to temperature head room. Because 20 degrees is huge.

Associate
OP
Theres a watercooling site that has these on pre order (the clue is in my sentence), £120 for the RGB version + £61 for the de-lid tool
You’ve made no point? What is the purpose of your post. We know they’re on pre order, the idea was to discuss potential gains, experiences with. And benefits or cons to such a product… you know have a discussion…

Soldato
You’ve made no point? What is the purpose of your post. We know they’re on pre order, the idea was to discuss potential gains, experiences with. And benefits or cons to such a product… you know have a discussion…
A lot like your response really.

People were mentioning pricing, ive listed the prices.

EDIT: Didnt know OCuk had these:

RGB Version: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ther...Rd9ic_jXhQTGhNQq9NVIF_Oe7LKmvqwYaAlaREALw_wcB

Non RGB Version: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ther...Rd9ic_jXhQTGhNQq9NVIF_Oe7LKmvqwYaAlaREALw_wcB

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom