Thermalright SI 100 Cooler

Associate
With the overhanging type of Low Profile Coolers, such as the SI 100, does anyone have a preference for the overhang being over the RAM or over the VRM's on the MB?

I have both options on the Mitx board I'm using.

Associate
OP
Slight Hiccough! I mounted the cooler with the overhang over the VRM's and it doesn't fit in the Kolink Rocket Complex!

This is due to the MB exiting through the base and the power supply socket is extended from the base and gets in the way!

I'm going to have to reverse it so the overhang is over the RAM and then re-fit when I upgrade the RAM.

And it was all going so well. :cry:

Associate
Well, unless you have freakishly tall RAM it shouldn't matter too much, the SI-100 gives you 50mm clearance if I remember correctly. Depending on your boards layout though it might be a PITA to remove the RAM or certain cables without removing the cooler.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've found mounting fan to pull air away from cooler instead of pushing air in usually gives lower temps. Reason is pushing air into cooler turns out on mobo and up on RAM / GPU, then gest drawn back into cooler fan. With fan pulling air away from cooler air flow over mobo into cooler, up and out. ;)

Associate
OP
Well, unless you have freakishly tall RAM it shouldn't matter too much, the SI-100 gives you 50mm clearance if I remember correctly. Depending on your boards layout though it might be a PITA to remove the RAM or certain cables without removing the cooler.

Yes it would have been fine. As you say, loads of clearance so swapping the RAM would have been possible (with LP RAM) in situ.

Change of plan though, as I couldn't get the CPU power cable to fit in the Rocket Complex so I've shelved the case and will go to a build in a Lian Li O11D Mini using the Arctic Freezer III.

I felt the SI 100 would have been a good cooler though. It felt substantial, well built and fitted really easily.

Associate
OP
I've found mounting fan to pull air away from cooler instead of pushing air in usually gives lower temps. Reason is pushing air into cooler turns out on mobo and up on RAM / GPU, then gest drawn back into cooler fan. With fan pulling air away from cooler air flow over mobo into cooler, up and out. ;)

I did seriously consider trying that @doyll . Change of plans though, so I won't have a chance to test it out on this build.

Back
Top Bottom