This Business and Moment...

Soldato
Woo got a feeling we're preparing for a board level slinging match/assault.. been asked to prep.. so should prove fun couple of days.

Soldato
Christ he still won't leave me alone and seems to think I can't dismiss him because he was unwell.

Do people like this really think that by continuously pestering their former employers that we're suddenly going to go "ah yeah ok mate cya in the morning" :confused:

I was really torn earlier as he seemed a decent chap but he's managed to **** me off enough to ensure he never sets foot in this place again and he can whistle for a reference too.

They may seem nice but also looks to be unreliable.

Reliability gets the business moving forward, not being nice. They had their chance.

Soldato
Second month of being self employed again, still getting use to sitting in peace and doing project work without constant harassment from staff and clients :D

Definitely made the right decision, about to sign my 7th client tomorrow, just finishing up my first solo Magento build in forever, got a headless project on the way and built a little site for myself using Astro/Tailwind/AWS Amplify.

People keep asking me what my growth plans are but this is the life, no overheads, no stress!

Soldato
Think out finance has achieved a Unicorn badge today. The fallout from this is going to reach beyond-epic mythical status..

Soldato
OP
I applied for the 3 internal jobs I need to as a part of this redundancy process today. They're all at the same level, so it's not like I can claim they're a down step or anything. Was asked if I can do an interview while I'm away on holiday for two weeks coming up haha I mean, I will, but I'll probably be on a beach somewhere drinking cocktails.

I'll tow the line though

Man of Honour
Curiosity at work - got some new top spec systems in rather than the usual near decade old hardware but some of them are on the end of ~30m cat5 network cable runs and just won't connect to the network (old hardware was fine). If they stick a switch temporary in the middle of the run works fine, if they set up one of the systems temporary where a shorter cable can reach works fine but a longer one won't. They tried one system with a USB LAN adaptor and that worked fine but apparently not allowed to do that let alone open the systems up and put a NIC in. From the sound of it they are going to have to install some extra switches.

Replying to an old post of mine but another thread reminded me, actually got to the bottom of this recently when they were adding some new hardware to the network it was discovered whoever did the original cabling did a poor job of it with several issues of incorrect wiring (they basically had to completely redo one of the patch panels), or Ethernet sockets not wired up at all, some network interfaces are more tolerant of it than others for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Soldato
All joking aside, the UK Gov earns 2x my GF's annual salary from me via income tax.

I can't complain too much about my comp in absolute terms, only in relative terms to the value I bring compared to others.

Still - the only winner on Comp day is the UK Gov who get to earn some more money for no effort on their part.

Soldato
OP
I applied for the 3 internal jobs I need to as a part of this redundancy process today. They're all at the same level, so it's not like I can claim they're a down step or anything. Was asked if I can do an interview while I'm away on holiday for two weeks coming up haha I mean, I will, but I'll probably be on a beach somewhere drinking cocktails.
Got a last minute interview for the product growth manager position I applied for (I applied for product manager, product growth manager and product operations manager because I kinda had to and it strings things out more) this afternoon, which is ideal as I'm off on holiday tomorrow but also came down with the flu sunday night.

It was funny, because by default when you're in the interview setting (it was remote) you get sucked into answering the questions like you care, but I realised half way through, WTF am I doing?! I don't even want this job. I also listened to him talking about the job and thought it sounded utter ****. It's basically a glorified project manager pretending to be a product growth manager... either way, did it. Don't think I'll get it and don't ******* care either way. It'll still be awful.

Soldato
You know when you can read the hyperbole and identify a root cause.. Yoda Am I.

Turns out we may well get a rainbow unicorn badge out of this..

In other news it appears a company recruiter is forwarding my CV to the line manager. He seemed to be quite enthusiastic. Had a nosey last night as background research seems interesting - the recruiter made and interesting comment, my line manager will ask two questions and then it's up to me to ask questions (this seemed odd hence research) for 30-45 mins and then I have a 90minute with additional people if I make it that far. Turns out the line manager has been in the job for 3 months and a background that only has narrow and shallow understanding of what I understand being the remit.
I'm trying to gauge the line manager and what the wider ask is, the recruiter seemed to have a basic picture but it just feels like early days or inexperience in this area. Only issue - how will we work together and will they consider me too experienced.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s definitely my favourite so far and offers the most in the role as it’s a bit of management accounting, bit financial reporting, international with forex and currency management, listed company, chance to take internal ownership of netsuite for them and the company is doing something interesting. Just gotta see how much they offer.

How did things go with this?

I've been tasked with researching a move to Netsuite. I used it as a finance system in my previous company and got a reasonable amount of knowledge and was heading towards superuser territory whilst not being involved in the more technical setup as there was a designated team for that.

I'm more of a systems accountant in the current role and so would be looking to lead any migration/setup.

Soldato
does anyone have days where they don't do anything? I currently have 1-2 days per week where its quiet. I usually just do a udemy course/youtube videos related to the job but I feel a bit guilty as i'm earning a reasonable salary (35k) and the job is fully remote.

Soldato
And it’s looking like mythical legendary status badge is being achieved.. and trying to find the how/ifs/whys..
i suspect the entire development team will be stood down at this rate.. for a flagship project.. lol.

Looking forward to Monday’s interview now..

Soldato
does anyone have days where they don't do anything? I currently have 1-2 days per week where its quiet. I usually just do a udemy course/youtube videos related to the job but I feel a bit guilty as i'm earning a reasonable salary (35k) and the job is fully remote.

Swings and roundabouts. At the moment I’m in an in between as my old team has been canned, and waiting for HR to approve a new job spec for me.

I’ve also had periods where I’ve had to cancel evening dinner/football/gym as I’ve had too much on.

If it goes on for an extended period of time, speak to your manager :)

Man of Honour
I never have days where I don't do anything but certainly I have some days that are pretty quiet. I'm in a weird sort of role where I don't have a lot of day-to-day responsibilities and not a huge number of tangible deliverables so my day tends to be driven by what meetings I have, what emails/IMs come in plus obviously some longer terms strategic stuff. I've come to realise this is good and bad:

+It frees me up to add a lot of value on specific things, I'm pretty good at reviewing stuff others have come up with and pointing out enhancements, pitfalls and such like in a well-reasoned and constructive manner, making suggestions on how we can do things better etc. I'm not bogged down with a relentless schedule and endless tasks like I have been in other roles that has prevented me from providing my pearls of wisdom. I can't think of the best way to describe this without sounding arrogant but feedback suggests I provide a lot of good insight, my written comms are excellent and people value my opinions on things.
-This makes me feel like a bit of a charlatan at times in the sense I look back and think "what have I actually physically delivered in the past week/month?!?" I've basically helped steer things in the right direction but tangible outputs directly coming from me? Not a lot.
-It puts me in a bit of a malaise at times whereby because I don't have that pressure hanging over me, I take my foot off the gas. There will be days I let drift by perhaps only doing 4hrs proper work, if there's nothing that particularly motivates me. I have this sense of unease that this will catch-up with me eventually because I've allowed too many plates to slow down their spins too much.

edit: I guess to put it into numbers, I had a job in the past where a 50 hour week wasn't even enough to keep my head above water, that would just be dealing with the most pressing stuff in a quick and mediocre fashion. Whereas now 25hrs is probably enough to get things done on a 'normal' week giving another 10hrs to ensure I do things to a good standard, add value / innovate / slack off depending on my mood.

Last edited:
Soldato
How did things go with this?

I've been tasked with researching a move to Netsuite. I used it as a finance system in my previous company and got a reasonable amount of knowledge and was heading towards superuser territory whilst not being involved in the more technical setup as there was a designated team for that.

I'm more of a systems accountant in the current role and so would be looking to lead any migration/setup.
Well I’m still in the role, so can’t be all that bad. It’s certainly been a challenge getting to grips with a new system whilst sorting out a lot of historical issues and handling an IFRS conversion and first audit, oh and did I mention it’s for multiple separate companies with a convoluted holding structure?:o , - still got a long way to go but hopefully most of the 12 hour days are behind me now. It’s ended up as more of a controller role all be told - definitely good experience to step up from and I did say I didn’t want to be bored.

My thoughts about NetSuite would be to avoid going to them directly; find a good local consultant who can help you set it up properly in the first place - because it’s a pain to unravel things retrospectively. ACS aren’t great in my experience so far, NetSuite Support is better but I’ve actually found researching things myself in their documentation and elsewhere has gotten me most of the answers I’ve needed. Generally only needed support when something hasn’t worked as per their documentation. It hasn’t helped that our Oneworld account is technically overseas so all our contacts are in a different time zone to me and they don’t offer anyone local.

I’d also aim to conduct a thorough review of your current processes before starting to even think about moving. Map everything out in inconsequential detail because there will be things that need to be done differently in NetSuite and it’s better to know about them in advance rather than finding out about them after you’ve gone live.

It’s also wise to think outside of the finance function because integrating with other systems (Salesforce etc) isn’t cheap or easy and only gets more difficult as time goes on and you’ll need all the buy you can get from other stakeholders.

You’ll also need to budget for not only NetSuite but also third party SuiteApps because a lot of functionality which is now common in cloud accounting isn’t in NetSuite natively yet (or not at the same level). The way it does a lot of things is annoyingly unintuitive so ideally you’d want someone who can take care of all that admin who isn’t also responsible for other finance functions (setting up roles, permissions, workflows, saved searches, reporting, etc). I’d aim to get the basics done to begin with and then treat further integrations and automations as new process improvement projects.

Ping me a message if you want to know anything specific.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom