This Business and Moment...

Man of Honour
I've been in a similar situation where I applied internally and came a close second to a role I wanted. After I ended up having a career path chat with the department head and they created a new role for me that was better than the internal role I originally wanted. If a company wants to keep you they will find something to make it work so don't be too disappointed if you didn't get it but make sure you have a clear idea on what it is your looking for
Similar situation here. I interviewed for a role in another department, when I discussed this with the VP for my division he then created a similar but broader role within his area. Definitely worked out for the best because although the functional skills had a lot of overlap the role I ended up taking was much more focused in a specific area that I've developed a career in.

Soldato
OP
Just got back from Thailand after 17 days there. I can't be ****** to even look through this inbox. It's possibly the least motivating thing when you know you're up for the boot, you don't care and if they want to **** you off, they can at this point. I have my 1:1 today and I honestly couldn't give fewer *****. I just want to eek the whole thing out as long as possible and play the game really

Soldato
Spoke to my boss today as things have been stressful and disorganised at work for months. He knows I'm not happy and that this level of mess isn't something I can tolerate. We're towards the "end" of a maybe 18-24 month project and expected to deliver in April/May. Every single milestone and readiness/testing deadline has been missed but that hasn't made the programme management worried... All deadlines fully intact despite the absolute chaos.

I don't think I can keep up this level of stress/dissatisfaction for another month or two. I appreciate the company can't afford to have me go part time or lower the workload, so said I'll likely ask for a raise. He argued it won't make me happier or less stressed... Fair point however, please demonstrate one way in which the company has accommodated my needs and requests since I tabled them 10 months ago?

Might just **** off out the door tomorrow.

Soldato
Into the last few weeks of the delivery - and the client is not ready (their program has a change request at the last moment they missed we found yesterday). Also they want activities as part of the deployment that weren't planned.. all this seems like a delaying tactic for someone that's on the hook with board level audit actions that are overdue.. disorganised is possibly the word.
What is interesting is after we presented to the client I feel the opinions have changed.

Had my regular 1:1 on Monday with the boss. After prompting him around the end of the project, lack of clarity within the organisation structure moving forward, I think he's realised I'm prompting on things he should have in place and aren't and putting in place work that solves questions from the board for the client. He's asked me to drive the picture after the project delivery, switch to product-orientation, build the business cases and roadmap, team structure and ways of working with the client. Usual stuff.. What will be interesting is how people will react..

In other news the second interview was pooched - we agreed a time, they changed it without contacting me and confirming, and only contacted me after. What was funny is they wanted a presentation on how they should do what I have delivered right now - that concerned me. In the past I've had an interview, presented a product strategy, gave them a copy of the presentation, got turned down but the company had obviously stolen the ideas (obvious if you knew the presentation). The old trick of - we don't know how to solve the problem so we're going to get interviewees to solve it for us in a number of ways for free.

A stay of exit-cution for now and I'll see how this new boss attitude turns out..

Soldato
In the past I've had an interview, presented a product strategy, gave them a copy of the presentation, got turned down but the company had obviously stolen the ideas (obvious if you knew the presentation). The old trick of - we don't know how to solve the problem so we're going to get interviewees to solve it for us in a number of ways for free.
"This is my IP so I'm going to have to insist on a legal agreement signed between me and your company that prevents you from using any of my ideas unless I'm an employee of your company."

Amazon Web Services insists on interviewees signing NDAs before they can be interviewed, so why not the same for interviewers?

Soldato
Hmm just had a wide discussion with the G-CTO.. I see three independent approaches, that aren't complementary and only one that appears ratified in part by the group board.. So now my enthusiasm is looking decidedly dashed because there's lots of "get **** done" and "empower to deliver" but there's no real understanding of the value of what **** is or how hard we can hit the nails based on priority. Decidedly washy.. which means no real long term plan other group board plan but without naming the game.

Ok back to looking for new roles again.

Soldato
Hmm just had a wide discussion with the G-CTO.. I see three independent approaches, that aren't complementary and only one that appears ratified in part by the group board.. So now my enthusiasm is looking decidedly dashed because there's lots of "get **** done" and "empower to deliver" but there's no real understanding of the value of what **** is or how hard we can hit the nails based on priority. Decidedly washy.. which means no real long term plan other group board plan but without naming the game.

Ok back to looking for new roles again.
That’s every company I’ve ever worked for. :D

Soldato
So.. the programme is nearing the end of the major delivery.. 42 product services delivered, across multiple operating companies.. and after being red status (long story but finance approval delays in the separate companies) it's status would now be fully green if it wasn't for a pesky delay hidden from us by a team in one of the companies that appeared on Thursday night. On the good side - we're now both ignored by the CDIO and the program has been showboated to the CEO last week (we're all a bit miffed we didn't get either an invite, recognition or a thank you - which demonstrates the cultural issues).
We're also starting to take on some additional teams to help solve issues in the group CISO... and even the BISOs are happy with the effect the programme is having.

Next week sees the first beyond the delivery discussion where the team will hammer out the next year.. the problem is the tree above is neither open with information, preoccupied and overloaded with burning fires, and doesn't delegate authority.

There's some simple remedies.. but we've been so focussed in getting stuff done, that we've not been distracted by the noise. So we're back to culture shock once again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Starting to question if i've voluntarily spread myself out a bit too much. For my operating group i maintain our instance of Adaptive Planning. It's great software and i enjoy that side. We've then gone through a restructure where part of our group split off to it's own group. They're still on our instance of Adaptive.
Then in Q2 last year another group were interested in Adaptive but were shocked at the costs as they're only quite small. I got approval to add them to our instance and it was great experience integrating them from scratch.

However i've now gone from one instance being for a single group to 3 separately managed groups. We used to have a single CFO who could dictate various assumptions (such as Inflation % per country), but now i have 3 separate people wanting a different % for their relevant entities. Typically this is last minute changes, so i've botched convoluted IF statements in Formulas, but it's not scalable at all. I really need to step back and reconsider the way the system is organised and laid out to make sure it "fits" everyone.

Should be a fun project, but trying to get time to do it with minimal disruption since it's business critical software will be tricky. Especially as i'm about to embark on implementing Netsuite which should also be a great experience.

Soldato
That'll help massively - hopefully they've already created a bunch of workflows, saved searches, roles, custom forms, etc so you can just replicate it easily.

That's my next goal - at the moment nothing is integrated with NetSuite and our sales team is wedded to Salesforce and committed for another 4 years so getting an integration that just ensures our master data is the same, and potentially pushes opportunities from SF into NS using products with a fixed price book with the correct units so that we can start using Analytics Warehouse is probably a year ahead.

This is one area where I've found NS to be pretty limited. Out of the box it can't do a lot - there's a bunch of optional modules; Advanced Billing and SuiteBilling, Billing Groups, Customer Aggregation as well as Advanced Revenue Management which are pretty complicated to set up but quite powerful. Currently we've got to the point of using billing schedules and basic automation of invoicing but moving to SuiteBilling with an API integration from our other systems is the next step towards full automation. ARM in particular can be tricky to get to grips with and needs constant care and attention I've found otherwise it'll quickly go wrong. Thinking out your item set up so that revenue recognition is correct at source is an easy win rather than trying to fix it afterwards.

Yeah I've heard a lot that NS isn't great with manufacturing. We're SaaS and I can see the potential of NetSuite but it's going to take a lot more work and money to get to where we want to be so currently it's a case of balancing that against other priorities. Just having someone with the right attitude and patience to work these things out internally is incredibly valuable as otherwise you're paying ££££ for a third party to do the work.

Realised i never got back to you on this. Thanks for the comments. We're SaaS/Maintenance based too so Netsuite ticks an awful lot of boxes for us. We're a bit rushed as one of our US entities was just at the final stage of committing $100k to a Salesforce customisation to restructure their recrev and billing process which is something Netsuite does out of the box, or at least with Suite Billing.

Had a few kick off calls with Netsuite direct, and just had a call yesterday with one of their implementation partners who seem like a good fit for us (Macrofin). Just waiting on a final quote but we've got decent buy in from the main decision makers. It's a tricky time in that our CFO is leaving to another portfolio in the company, but one of the group leaders is stepping in to cover and seems on board and has her recommendation.

Soldato
I think I’ve come to a realisation since writing the above reply - it might be time for me to move on again.

Been a lot of events with the company in the last few weeks (all public so no issue with my talking here) that have destroyed customer confidence, employee moral and no sunlit uplands in sight yet.

I’ve also been thinking about the types of people in most workplaces - do’ers and talk’ers. I think it’s rare that you find people who are a good mix of both, most people in my experience tend to be mostly one or the other, with varying degrees of capability/competence. I’d judge myself to be mostly a do’er, with very little patience for the pure talk’ers.

This place at the moment is full of talk’ers which is why very little gets done, very little gets fixed and historical issues have been left to fester for years as staff turnover has continued unchecked.

Already updated my CV with the recruiter who helped me last time and got a couple of opportunities in play, both nice bumps in salary, so we’ll see what happens in the next few weeks. Time to spend the weekend planning a holiday.

Last edited:
Soldato
Spoke to my boss today as things have been stressful and disorganised at work for months. He knows I'm not happy and that this level of mess isn't something I can tolerate. We're towards the "end" of a maybe 18-24 month project and expected to deliver in April/May. Every single milestone and readiness/testing deadline has been missed but that hasn't made the programme management worried... All deadlines fully intact despite the absolute chaos.

I don't think I can keep up this level of stress/dissatisfaction for another month or two. I appreciate the company can't afford to have me go part time or lower the workload, so said I'll likely ask for a raise. He argued it won't make me happier or less stressed... Fair point however, please demonstrate one way in which the company has accommodated my needs and requests since I tabled them 10 months ago?

Might just **** off out the door tomorrow.
Well, had another talk with boss this week after we identified a conflict of interest discussing a raise. He advised me to go talk to other colleagues first. So I did, and got some decent feedback - supportive of asking for a raise or new terms, but warning me off calling anyone's bluff as it won't go down well.

Yesterday I was handing over as I'm away next week, and asked for a formal pay review. Boss tried to say "We'll chat about it when you're back". No, we won't chat about it, we're chatting now. I told him I want him to make contact with HR and draw up whatever is on record from my negotiations taking this role last April, and come back to me by phone. Then we'll talk about how much change I've implemented in the lab this past year.

Really starting to feel like his approach is just to placate people and put them off indefinitely :(

Soldato
My promotion at work has just been announced (albeit without confirmation of salary) but I have recieved a strong offer from elsewhere which I suspect will be more than the proposed salary for staying.

Feel a bit awkward I suppose but after two years of dissapointing payrises I feel it has to be done. Even if my current job matches the salary I am not sure I want to be somewhere it takes the threat of leaving to get them to pull a finger out.

Few trade offs - longer commute to the new job via train rather than car, worse pension. Shorter hours though (9.30-5.30), slightly more generous benefits package overall.

Soldato
So last week was interesting. I have a gut feeling we'll be losing people to one of the sub-companies in the grand decentralisation.. leaving a couple of people.. until they decide it's not worth it. We have some good ideas for 2024 features .. now, due to the messed up financial operating model, aren't likely to be funded because there to busy saving the their burning bush flagship that has to be complete this year..

The culture of this place is not about enablement, it's about stealing your reports ideas and present them as your own. That goes against some fundamental values - I prefer to be known as someone that develops the best people that are recognised as being the most innovative due to the latitude they have. This place is a top down dictation and micro manage. It's a retarded culture.

Man of Honour
Well, had another talk with boss this week after we identified a conflict of interest discussing a raise. He advised me to go talk to other colleagues first. So I did, and got some decent feedback - supportive of asking for a raise or new terms, but warning me off calling anyone's bluff as it won't go down well.

Yesterday I was handing over as I'm away next week, and asked for a formal pay review. Boss tried to say "We'll chat about it when you're back". No, we won't chat about it, we're chatting now. I told him I want him to make contact with HR and draw up whatever is on record from my negotiations taking this role last April, and come back to me by phone. Then we'll talk about how much change I've implemented in the lab this past year.

Really starting to feel like his approach is just to placate people and put them off indefinitely :(
If you've tabled requests a year ago that haven't been met the writing is on the wall, the manager might genuinely be doing their best but there are often hurdles they can't overcome alone.

"calling bluff" is only a thing if it's a bluff. To me a bluff is more chancing your arm because you want more money but don't deserve it / feel you can get that money elsewhere. If you deserve better, have financial security and are confident in your ability then just quit already. Just don't expect them to pay what you deserve, logic/value often doesn't come into these sort of things, they may very well let you leave then hire someone worse on more money than you wanted, that's just the way it goes but at least you have got out of an unpleasant environment where you are underpaid.

Man of Honour
My promotion at work has just been announced (albeit without confirmation of salary) but I have recieved a strong offer from elsewhere which I suspect will be more than the proposed salary for staying.

Feel a bit awkward I suppose but after two years of dissapointing payrises I feel it has to be done. Even if my current job matches the salary I am not sure I want to be somewhere it takes the threat of leaving to get them to pull a finger out.

Few trade offs - longer commute to the new job via train rather than car, worse pension. Shorter hours though (9.30-5.30), slightly more generous benefits package overall.
My advice here, having previously been successful in interviewing for and being offered a promotion without salary being discussed, is get your ducks lined up for the discussion.

They way I've seen it played before is they simply hand you a letter with a number printed on it, this is some sort of psychology thing because they are actively avoiding discussing the number and it being in writing makes it subconsciously harder to challenge. "Congratulations, you new salary will be £x" in a letter is a firmer position than a conversation around "we'd love to offer you this role, and are prepared to pay you £x", because there is no natural flow or verbal lead in, you have to actively be the one to raise the subject.

So have in mind the number you deserve and what your counter will be. The fact you have a firm offer elsewhere puts you in a good position, and absolutely the number they are offering needs to be well in excess of this because rest assured this is a one-time thing, you get the promotion and then its back to 1% 2% rises etc. So you need the ammunition prepared as to why they need to pay MORE than the other offer - shorter hours (40hrs a week needs about 14% more salary than 35hrs a week), the fact you have lots of tacit knowledge in the current org, etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well after criticizing and critiquing myself for all last week I dropped the hiring manager a message asking for some feedback from the interview even if they cant/wont tell me the outcome for another 4 weeks. To my surprise she said to pop a meeting in her calendar that day and we had a 30-minute catchup.

I was fairly happy to hear though that I "surpassed what they were expecting in the interview" and “interviewed extremely strong" to the point they were happy they interviewed me. The only feedback she could give me was on the first sift, I needed to be a bit more specific with some of my answers to the questions they posed, other than that, there was no constructive or negative feedback they could give from my interview. She was choosing her words carefully though to not hint if I had secured it or not, but she did say out of the 5 they interviewed, 2 people interviewed extremely well and I was one of them.

The optimist in me wants to say its 50/50 chance of me getting it but I’m still stuck waiting to find out until the end of March. The pessimist in me thinks I've not got it though as we were also talking about my development path at work and she offered to mentor me out of the blue which, while it is good and surprised me, it makes me think I haven’t got the job and she’s offering the mentorship as a consolation.

The saga continues. On wednesday it'll be six weeks since my interview and the 4 weeks since i was told there was a 4 week pause on recruiting activity, ended last Friday. I sen the Hiring manager a message last Wednesday morning to query if there was any update and i've still had no response. If it turns out i dont have the secondment after all this wait I think it safe to say im going to be fairly ******* peeved.

Soldato
I'm currently lining up for the perfect way to give my notice....

I have a multi-week business trip to the US planned, and if things line up I'll give my notice on the day that I come back

Which would put my last day exactly on the day that testing starts for the big initiative that I'm currently running.

I guess it's too bad that I'm potentially being offered 50% more to work elsewhere...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom