This Instant And Moment - 2020!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Did some shopping the other day in Sainsburys and one of the items was a bottle of shandy that, according to the bottle, contains "less than 0.5% alcohol by volume", went through the self service till without a problem. Now jump forward to last night and I went to get a few more bits and bobs for Christmas and grabbed myself a 6-pack of Heineken 0.0, same tills and I had to wait for a member of staff to appear and authorise the sale.

Can anyone else figure this out?

Shandy is under soft drinks in the back-end system IIRC. Alcohol-free section items are under BWS. Checkouts automatically generate prompts based on the category the item is in, rather than the properties of the individual item itself.

Quite surprised this still hasn't been fixed :p

Soldato
Ever get the impression you're wasting your time?

(Twitter Thread)

The bits about homelessness aren't really true. But how many students can cover a ~£2,500 shortfall for an extended period of time? I'm lucky I have savings. Though between my student loan being short, and me being on Furlough most of the year, those are starting to run out...

Phone CS are no use either. Though not quite so bad. Still the same response re: wait time though.

Associate
Great, fridge door left open for ~12 hours overnight. The day after we did all of our christmas food shopping. It appears our fridge just shuts off if the door is open (no alarm) so even though it was only open a couple of cm it was 15C inside. Stuff does feel coldish still and milk etc smells ok. Not really feeling food poisoning on what's left of christmas though...

**** this year!

Soldato
Well ******** the recipe I was planning to use for making a cake for tomorrow says it won't work if I sub the sugar alternative they've used with the sugar alternative I have *face/palm*

Think I've reached the peak of my Xmas eve stress, why do I do this to myself :o lol

At least the veg is all prepped for tomorrow and the cheese puff pastry things I made turned out ok :)

Oh also...no work until 13th Jan :cool:

Last edited:
Consigliere
Great, fridge door left open for ~12 hours overnight. The day after we did all of our christmas food shopping. It appears our fridge just shuts off if the door is open (no alarm) so even though it was only open a couple of cm it was 15C inside. Stuff does feel coldish still and milk etc smells ok. Not really feeling food poisoning on what's left of christmas though...

**** this year!

So sorry to hear. :(

Hope you found a solution! Have to laugh about it really...have a drink or 5. :)

Caporegime
Happy Christmas everyone.

@RobHu I cant see there being a problem... It was just unrefridgerated but still cold for 12 hours, then refrigerated again. Even the milk is still fine according to your nose, so stop fussing and carry on as normal. :p

If the food still felt coldish it cant have been anything even approaching 15C inside the fridge either.

Man of Honour

**** this year!
I think you’ll be alright - it’s not a huge amount of time. Just assume you got your turkey out at 6am to cook at 6pm. I’d be surprised it has spoiled that quickly. Meat tends to smell bad if it’s off so that’s probably your best bet.

Anything that’s cooked, doesn’t require cooking etc will be fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Merry Christmas folks.

All the kids are sorted here and mostly quiet which is good. Hopefully I can get a chance to chill out, try to relax and get over the COVID that I was fortunate enough to get as an early Christmas gift this year.

Soldato
Had a suspected over-filled kettle trip the power out first thing as there was water in the extension block feeding it. Kettle was inherited from previous owner so will be replaced ASAP.

Was getting firewood from log pile on balcony when three shotgun blasts boomed out, sounding really close to the house. Looking up, I saw our neighbour and his hunting dogs on the over side of the valley almost a kilometre away. Took me a moment to realise there was a stiff breeze blowing from him to me with nothing in the way. The neighbour’s hunting partner appeared from the tree line and I could hear their conversation as if they were stood a few metres away.

My city boy brain still forgets how sound works out here sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom