This man knows who stole my phone, can anyone help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Looks like he has gone to bed, phone is in the dark and no noise near it. I have been able to make it record and send me videos and any texts/calls but no location yet. I've changed all my passwords and password restores so I think most of my info is safe.

I have the ability to wipe the phone memory and sd memory. Obviously I'd like to do this but it'll probably reduce my chances of him turning on the gps etc tomorrow...

What is doing all this? :confused:

Associate
Thread has potential.

Don't think he will wipe it at this stage, if he was going to do it he would have done so at the start.

Probably needs a charger, will take 3 days to get a cheap one off e-bay!

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;23658611 said:
The one thing which would certainly make this ten times worse is posting it on 4chan so, you know, don't follow through on that earlier idea you had.
Exactly. You don't want this guy counter-suing you.

Associate
I don't know why your name made me giggle but it did. Good job :)

Don't think I've had that reaction before!! :p It's meant in a completely non-stalker/trenchcoat sense!!

On a more related note, I hope the op manages to get his phone back and this scumbag gets caught. I wasn't really that aware of all the tracking possibilities for my phone tbh, but I'll certainly be putting some form of tracker on my phone tonight! If nothing else comes of the thread, at least it's raising peoples' awareness of phone security options. :)

Soldato
I'm guessing it's an Android phone jsmoke, which means that he could probably procure a charger from a nearby dog :p

But seriously, it's not that hard to get hold of a charger for a phone these days, even if he didn't steal the charger he could have dropped into any shop on the way home and picked one up.

hmmm...if he feels the need to steal in the first place, I am guessing he's on a low income or JSA, so a charger £10-15, that's a good chunk of JSA. Also he may have to go into town or get one off ebay, not an unreasonable question.

Associate
........ I wasn't really that aware of all the tracking possibilities for my phone tbh, but I'll certainly be putting some form of tracker on my phone tonight! If nothing else comes of the thread, at least it's raising peoples' awareness of phone security options. :)

Exactly what I was thinking too. Hadn't wanted to root my new Note 2, but after reading this, will be rooting away and then adding Cerberus on.

OP, I really hope you get your phone back and this scumbag gets what he deserves. If you do find out where he lives then don't forget......ring door bell and adopt boxing pose ;)

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Post this on http://www.sheffieldforum.com - it *might* break their rules on posting personal information though. Check that first. You might be OK to just post the photo and ask if anyone knows who it is.

BTW; why the hangup about GPS being on / off? Using WiFi / cell triangulation, I can be located within < 50m usually without the GPS receiver being on (or did you disable the location services all together?)

Soldato
OP
I'd just disabled it all recently. I'd been having trouble with very short battery life and after using some power monitoring software found that for some reason google maps and facebook kept using gps despite the programs not being in use directly. I was in the process of looking for other solutions but as a short term fix I just disabled the gps/location options, battery life went from ~13 hours to have about 40% remaining after a days use! Of course now I'm regretting this decision... At the time I didn't realize you had to be rooted for Cerberus to turn the gps on.

Soldato
I'm amazed what you can do using that software, will definitely give that a go today, seems very good to help tackle a situation like this.

Were the police any help with assisting you on this? Hope it gets sorted soon, I'd be lost without my phone!

Associate
If you can find out the mac address of the router (not the IP) then you can look it up on wigle.net. If someone's logged that access point while wardriving you'll be able to get a rough location on a map.

I've searched for Sohail but there's too many results and you can only filter by address in the US.

Associate
Hope you get your phone back buddy!

Sure he'll charge it up and then slip up on some private information by text or something... Shame about the gps etc.

I've always had cerberus but didnt realise it could be ROM intergrated. So just done that now for peace of mind.

Soldato
So I can't track it but I did manage to take this awesome photo!

20130130004332.jpg

Hansom chap I'm sure you'll agree!

Can you elaborate on this a bit more as it seems a bit dubious...

You are saying you snapped this picture using the remote app you are using to monitor?

It's clearly not the person who stole the phone, so what was he doing? Holding it up to show this guy or take a picture of him himself and you just took the photo during monitoring?

Although somebody might know this guy, you want to be very careful how you tread with an internet campaign to find your phone, especially if you go posting on 4Chan. You may well be looking at a guy here who is totally innocent and could end up defaming him.

Soldato
OP
Well originally they said that as there were no witnesses/evidence there wouldn't be an investigation as such. The only way I'd get my phone back would be if he was arrested for an unrelated crime and happened to be carrying my phone. The police said everytime they arrest someone their phones get plugged into a computer that automatically downloads all calls/texts/phone data and logs it for evidence. This would pick up the phone was stolen.

Which tbh sounds fair enough, I can understand not much if anything to go on at that stage.

Once I started getting data from the phone, especially the photo I called back and they had the officer who attended call me. He asked me to email everything I had to him and he'd pass it onto the burglary unit in the morning. He confirmed by email receiving it and that someone else would be in touch today.

So far pretty good service! They were at the house about 5 minutes after we called (non emergency number!) and feels like they have been fairly honest about what we can expect to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom