tips on how to get x2 16GB sticks to work together at 6000mhz

Soldato
I have a corsair Vengence RGB 32GB ddr5 kit that i'm having trouble playing nicely together, sometimes I have to remove one stick to get the PC to boot
they won't run at the stated 6000mhz, and there is no 6000mhz32 gb profile to use
right now they booted at a selected 6000mhz in the bios, but they are not running at full speed cpuid currently says4851mhz, fluctuating higher and lower
any advice?
(this is on AM5)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Are these EXPO or XMP?

I assume you checked that they're in the right slots according to the manual?

How are you doing it? Just selecting 6000 as the dram frequency? That won't work, because there are other voltages to set.

Soldato
OP
Are these EXPO or XMP?

I assume you checked that they're in the right slots according to the manual?

How are you doing it? Just selecting 6000 as the dram frequency? That won't work, because there are other voltages to set.
I started with changing frequency to 6000mhz and leaving everything else on auto
I can't find the stinking voltage section on my board's BIOS which is driving me a little crazy there are a load of different voltages to change listed under the ram, unlike the usual single master voltage box, it's annoying because I do know the steps of overclocking ram,
they are AMD XPO, there is one 6000mx profile there, but it doesn't work, I checked again, and I can't tell if this is raising any volts or not it doesn't give any hints for such under the profile title
thanks.

Man of Honour
I started with changing frequency to 6000mhz and leaving everything else on auto
I can't find the stinking voltage section on my board's BIOS which is driving me a little crazy there are a load of different voltages to change listed under the ram, unlike the usual single master voltage box, it's annoying because I do know the steps of overclocking ram,
they are AMD XPO, there is one 6000mx profile there, but it doesn't work, I checked again, and I can't tell if this is raising any volts or not it doesn't give any hints for such under the profile title
thanks.
I can't tell you how to manually overclock DDR5, but I believe EXPO/XMP profiles change more than just the DRAM voltage, so it would take a bit of reading to do that.

If you can't pull the current voltages from the BIOS, I'd try with hwinfo.

Man of Honour
my anti virus detects a trojan horse, and I just can't bring myself to add the exception
I've downloaded it recently and no problems detected, I'd make sure you're getting it from a legit source, but there's plenty of altnerative hardware monitoring tools.

Associate
What motherboard?

There should be a drop down menu in the bios for expo 1 or 2 on Asus boards, this would then automatically boost the ram speed to 6000 (if it can do it)

Is the ram on the qvl list?

It's concerning your having to remove sticks of ram to get it to boot, which may mean an issue elsewhere (CPU/motherboard)

Associate
I have a corsair Vengence RGB 32GB ddr5 kit that i'm having trouble playing nicely together, sometimes I have to remove one stick to get the PC to boot
they won't run at the stated 6000mhz, and there is no 6000mhz32 gb profile to use
right now they booted at a selected 6000mhz in the bios, but they are not running at full speed cpuid currently says4851mhz, fluctuating higher and lower
any advice?
(this is on AM5)
Have you updated your BIOS?

That’s the first thing you should do.

Next is manually setting the voltages for the DRAM and SOC.

Soldato
OP
Have you updated your BIOS?

That’s the first thing you should do.

Next is manually setting the voltages for the DRAM and SOC.
yes, ofc, I am on the most recent bios
there is a massive amount of different voltage settings on this ddr5 in the bios, it's not quite as easy as it used to be,
I had to have the motherboard replaced, while hunting down another problem, and the ram ended up in different slots, at least now the ram will work in dual channel mode, but no luck so far on hitting the magic 6000mhz!

Soldato
OP
Newest bios and look at the memory context restore option. Mikes unboxing did a good video on this setting to disabled.

I've tried everything to do with memory context, it is my understanding that ideally you want restore on, so it only has to train the memory once, and from then on, it always uses the same training results every time the pc is started, thus reducing boot time, so yeah, if only I could get the memory succsesfully training , and booting at 6000, I would leave context restore on

Associate
I've tried everything to do with memory context, it is my understanding that ideally you want restore on, so it only has to train the memory once, and from then on, it always uses the same training results every time the pc is started, thus reducing boot time, so yeah, if only I could get the memory succsesfully training , and booting at 6000, I would leave context restore on
Set it disabled. Guy in Viideo said he was having trouble so has it disabled.

Last edited:
Soldato
The ram voltages on an ASUS board are in the extreme tweaker menu, you have to be in advanced mode not easy mode, then enable XMP, this is call DCOP in the ASUS bios, scroll to the bottom of that menu and you'll find the voltages, give a tiny bit more than required, the 2 ram voltages are Dram VDD and Dram VDDQ, these should be set the same, so in your case its probably 1.35v, but I always give a little more, so 1.36v for both incase of drooping etc, then set SOC voltage to 1.25v as a starting point, you can try lowering it or raising it if your not stable later on, stability depends on your chips IMC, some people need 1.3v all the way and others need 1.15v, never go any higher than 1.3v, I need 1.28v to remain stable at 6400MT/s CL28.

To disable MCR, go into the sub menu Advanced DRAM settings which is in that extreme tweaker menu and disable MCR and also disable Power down, MCR has been known to cause problems as it skips training and recycles old data, it doesnt always get it right, so one boot can be stable, and the next completely unstable, if you want to use MCR then set it as enabled you also have to enable power down, this has a big latency penalty in windows as it basically puts your ram slots into a low power state which needs waking up everytime you want to do something on your PC.

Save and exit and see how you get on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom