To CBT or not to CBT :-P

Associate
Hi all,

My CBT is up in July and I was wondering if I should renew or go for the license. I have a Lambretta V125 Speciale and have no intention of going higher than a 125cc.

I've put 1000 miles on it in 2 years so is it worth going for the license or just renewing the CBT? Thoughts welcome please ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Your insurance will be invalid. The insurance company will do anything to get out of paying.

Also, if you ever get a producer from the police, they'll ask for one. The producer will be dated so even if you manage to get a sneaky CBT before the time is up and or you've asked for an extension, the date of CBT completion will be after the date of the producer.

There's probably more reasons, but that's two serious ones I know of lol.

My advice, just get one. I'm only on a 125cc and have been since I was 21. I'm now 38. I'll always just do it. I know I should just do my DAS license. But I'm happy with the method I use. I don't need a bigger bike. Getting from A2B cheaply, slowly is fine for me for my short 15 mins journey to work.

Edit: Just realised I read your post wrong. If you want or need a bigger bike then do the DAS. It's probably is cheaper in the long run. My bad, thought you was on about should I just run with no CBT indefinitely lol. Apologies.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
...have no intention of going higher than a 125cc.
I doubt you would say that, if you test rode an R1 with 200bhp that hits 120mpbh in 1st gear. My SV650 felt like a 125 afterwards, its hard to describe, you need to experience it.

With a license its easier to rent abroad too, just do DAS, don't go for A1 or A2, unless you're under 24, then I would wait.

Man of Honour
Given how long it can take to get through the full licence at this time of year (test centres are booked solid from mid April) you might find you need to renew the CBT anyway to make sure you have a valid certificate when you present for the full tests. Others are right though, if get you leg over a faster bike it changes your perspective on the 125.

Soldato
I went on the back of a mate's R1 way back in the day. He went down the road with me for no more than a mile and I was hooked on having that in my life. We got back to his house and he told me a) he was being careful with me on the back and b) we didn't get out of second gear.
My mind was blown the first time he wound the throttle on. I'd felt nothing like it ever before. Even fast cars. This felt insane. And this is a stock R1 you could go out and buy and ride same day.
Just saying. :)

Back
Top Bottom