Toyota Alphard Camper - BOUGHT & EXCITED -

Associate
Really enjoyed this thread. My future in-laws have just ordered one (import, conversation (including a hybrid system).

Really looking forward to their van arriving.

Soldato
OP
Well a few mods happened... so here we go...
1). Changed from grey boring carpet to this bentley patterning on the pop top bed... looks and feels well nicer
346837291_3824919754315032_4029038656114185086_n.jpg

2). Instead of this horrible florring... I've gone full carpetted...
343617925_1933281707022941_3893877481624607924_n.jpg

343408559_260260919779922_4936149348825995545_n.jpg

343325409_893274301758222_4183246048879012209_n.jpg

s2s4dU9.jpg

VylLCOr.jpg

Soldato
OP
Floor is deffo a big upgrade, new roof is nice but why on why didn't you get a starlight headliner!!!11! ;)
hahahaha... yah it's weird as someone said that I though the diamond was blindy enough hahaha...

Looks great. Really do like that interior.
Cheers yeah it's come on a little since I first bought, more kinda comfy and cosy now I'll be honest.

Just been away with a mate all weekend... good crack, great walk etc... loved it... had the awning setup nicely as well, great campsite!

UOzpdXm.jpg

E68dXV8.jpg

PCGgs2H.jpg

YEVgrAD.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
OWNER UPDATES NEARLY 2 YEARS LATER

Well just to give some updates on the Alphard Campervan. It's bee perfect, it's been spot on reliable although I will say that I did spend money on every single main bush being replaced underneath as no matter what you do, it's a 2007 and there's only so long rubber will last... I then Lanoguarded the whole thing like my 350Z/SRT8... so I at least know it's going to last. It's getting circa 25 miles to the gallon which considering the weight and the 3.0 V6 engine, I reckon that's perfectly fine. Nothing has broken or failed... and I'll be away on the first trip of the year this late May bank holiday and then using it a lot. I didn't use much over winter, I wanted to do some snowy winter campsites but didn't get around to it... which is a shame, but will be making an effort this winter!!!

Anyone looking at Alphards, just buy it... but be aware you WILL need to changes bushings out on older models if they've not already been done. Engine and gearbox wise, spot on!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've been on and off on getting the Nissan version (Elgrand) shame we don't have the newer ones in the UK.
Yeah it's basically your two choices, Elgrand or Alphard... both have their pluses and minuses tbh... but yeah... you have to wait to get the later ones in UK and I believe that the importing costs now have doubled since pandemic so... yeah...

Soldato
Anyone looking at Alphards, just buy it... but be aware you WILL need to changes bushings out on older models if they've not already been done. Engine and gearbox wise, spot on!
Is it a driveway job for the bushes?

Definitely tempted --- I pay ~240/mo for my lease on the Pug so I have convinced my wife to swap the 240 to a finance on an Alphard :cry:

Soldato
OP
err you could do it on drive but tbh it's quite a pain in the arse job but there's an amazing guy Birmingham way who can do it all in a morning... he's just 100's of them that it's second nature personally I wouldn't do the axle bushes myself tbh... I'll do things like control arms or things like that if I have to but anything more than that is more than it's worth to just pay the reight person!

Man of Honour
I've been on and off on getting the Nissan version (Elgrand) shame we don't have the newer ones in the UK.
Yeah it's basically your two choices, Elgrand or Alphard... both have their pluses and minuses tbh... but yeah... you have to wait to get the later ones in UK and I believe that the importing costs now have doubled since pandemic so... yeah...
I had a 1997 Elgrand 3.2 Diesel, one of the motors I regret selling the most - but if I were to do it again I would go Alphard for Toyota reliability vs Nissan quirks.

Soldato
OP
I had a 1997 Elgrand 3.2 Diesel, one of the motors I regret selling the most - but if I were to do it again I would go Alphard for Toyota reliability vs Nissan quirks.
yeah it's kinda where I was... I own a Nissan 350z and it's been awesome but have heard some "quirks" with the Elgrands so, just wanted something that doesn't cost,,,,,

Soldato
We went to look at camper vans today. No intention to buy one, just being nosey. These look like great vans. They had one at the place we went to. Seems to do everything you need, all in a compact space. It looks like it's worked really well for you.

Caporegime
Reading this thread has got me itching again. Have wanted a 3.5 Vellfire for ages. We bought the GR86 last year instead and this year is my car resto so going to have to wait one more year!

We did test drive a few and there is really nothing like it on the market. All the transits/T6's are still incredibly spartan builders van even in the higher specs. The V Class is quite nice but has a tiny engine.

Not only do these have 4wd and a beautiful engine but the comfort from the seats is just range rover type levels without the stigma of being a 4x4.

Soldato
Been trying to convince my Mrs on Alphard/Vellfire or Elgrand conversions for a while as a swap for our second car but she's not having it. I'll force her to read this thread and hopefully will make her change her mind :cry:

Soldato
My 04 Alphard is my main car now (did have a bmw 640D too). I love it, apart from the thirsty fuel use! It's not so bad on long trips, drive at 60 to 65.

I love the fact you can take everything when you go away. We went to Devon last year, way more stuff than we normally take and still space! I go mountain biking, throw the bike in the back with wheels on, still space in the middle row to jump in and get changed. Getting back after a wet ride and having a private changing room on wheels is so much better than trying to get changed in a towel at the side of the car! :D

It's got a bit of a creak on full lock. Thought it'd fail MOT last year, but was not a problem. Not sure what the issue is

Soldato
OP
Been trying to convince my Mrs on Alphard/Vellfire or Elgrand conversions for a while as a swap for our second car but she's not having it. I'll force her to read this thread and hopefully will make her change her mind :cry:
Yeah it's always a toughy, I see why so many go for the VW, but for me it was always a no from my personal preferences i.e. 1). I can't stand VW tbh, 2). Diesel engines 3). I think they're a little under powered 4). Everyone has them (but good reason is they make the best use of space as they're designed for van purposes)... just not my thing... I love being different and having this and modding it a little, love it, just even love looking at it looks cool. Also gets lots of looks when out and about. I also love the V6 engine, nice and smooth, ultra reliable as it's a Lexus engine as well... parts easy to come by for that engine if needed so...

Yeah everyones different and want a different thing... but for me, just the cool JDM thing, always fancied owning something that's lived it's life over there... why who knows.

Back
Top Bottom