Track pad not consistent

Associate
I have just picked up an Acer Helios 18 (refurbished) and it is a great machine except for track pad inconsistency. Generally it is fine, but if playing a game and using keyboard and mouse at the same time, the track pad doesn't pick up inputs.

As an example (I wouldn't usually play an fps with a track pad, but gives the example) in cyberpunk, holding W to move forward sometimes means that you cannot look around whilst walking. It isn't exclusive to this game, does it in stellaris as well.

I've just updated all the drivers I can find, but does anyone have any ideas before I return it? It was a bargain, so would like to get it working if possible.

Associate
OP
Oh I wouldn't play an fps with it! I shouldn't have to accept this on a high end laptop, not spending a couple grand on a laptop for workarounds. It's large enough, don't need to carry extra items around.

Track pad is generally fine however.

Customer support just offered me a wireless mouse and keyboard to get around it - it doesn't solve the fault however.

Man of Honour
Trackpads are generally horrible on the best of laptops. A poor substitute to a mouse or even touchscreen.

Soldato
Could it be related to the fact that you are applying physical pressure when pressing down a key, and this is affecting the response of the trackpad? Do you have an external keyboard you can attach, and then try pressing the key on the external keyboard, and see if the trackpad works? If it does, you know it's related to physical pressure.

Associate
OP
Trackpads are generally horrible on the best of laptops. A poor substitute to a mouse or even touchscreen.
Don't disagree, but a lot of the time the track pad is going to be used.
Could it be related to the fact that you are applying physical pressure when pressing down a key, and this is affecting the response of the trackpad? Do you have an external keyboard you can attach, and then try pressing the key on the external keyboard, and see if the trackpad works? If it does, you know it's related to physical pressure.
Possibly I suppose, although it feels fairly solid and I'm not being rough with it. I've tried using the trackpad with considerably more pressure than normal to try and get it to register, but no dice.

Associate
OP
Thank you for the suggestion, but the firmware appears to be up to date, as far as I can tell. The retailer has agreed to take the laptop back as an RMA, so will hopefully get it repaired/refunded.

Thank you everyone for your advice, however. Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom