Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Anyone here done spread betting? I used CMC markets last year while at university and made a fair bit, especially off the drop of RBS to 10p and placing a trade of £150 a point and seeing it rise to 20/22 the following week or so. It's good for beginners in some cases given that you do not have any real exposure to the markets.

Only downside is that its margin based, so you can lose more than your initial investment.

As for books and dvds Jotun, I would say experience is the best learning tool in stocks... as you trade you will begin to pick up trends and ways to do and not to do things. If you want to read beforehand, maybe take a look at Intelligent investor by Benjamin Graham which is fairly well known.

Associate
As for books and dvds Jotun, I would say experience is the best learning tool in stocks... as you trade you will begin to pick up trends and ways to do and not to do things.

Absolutely agree.

When there's large sums of money involved, you learn very quickly. Any company you want to invest in...research, research and research some more but never fall in love with that company, you're only there to make money.

Caporegime
How did you guys here get in to this? Any books/dvds etc you would recommend having a look at? I've been having a play on bullbearings.co.uk, 5 out of the 7 companies I've "bought" shares for are worth more than when I started, but that was just from a look at the graph and guesswork :D

Just started playing around then as I got more experience started investing more. I started following the stocks when I got shares through my work scheme, i then added a few more out of the scheme as I saw that stock as quite safe. Then i started with banks.

It's scary the first time you put a grand in something, now I don't even worry.

However we were in the times of massively unvalued shares IMO, some may go (I lost a £250 punts on Urals) some may fly, eg: I had some barclays that i got at 68p, sold far too early though.

Soldato
I had 22500 shares in CAL.L last week and was up 30% when they dropped the OO on us, and the SP dropped by 50%. I will be taking up my full allowance which will give me near 70000 shares but that will put me out of day trading for a good while.

However, with the commercial property market looking up and CALs debts secured, things are looking good, the SP is even holding up against the natural sell caused by the OO. I think £1 is not far off the cards which would make me a very happy man!

Soldato
The more research the better your trades, simple as that. When you know the daily rate for a Panamax drybulk carrier going from Oz to China, the thermal efficiency of a solar cell and why virtual server technology is making money, you're getting there..

That's all rather fanciful and misleading.

Sole reliance on fundemental trading is often the road to ruin.

Soldato
I'm a 100% technical trader, I only ever look at the fundementals to know when NOT to trade! Big news release? Chances are I'm sat on the sidelines waiting for the dust to settle so I can pick off the stragglers in 15-20 minutes.

I know a successful 'news trader' and do you know what he does, he goes against the grain on every trade. Positive news? He's short!

Does he do well going against fundementals? You bet he does.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had 22500 shares in CAL.L last week and was up 30% when they dropped the OO on us, and the SP dropped by 50%. I will be taking up my full allowance which will give me near 70000 shares but that will put me out of day trading for a good while.

However, with the commercial property market looking up and CALs debts secured, things are looking good, the SP is even holding up against the natural sell caused by the OO. I think £1 is not far off the cards which would make me a very happy man!

I've just had a look into these, it looks a good buy however I saw it happen with my Lloyds shares when they had a rights issue, the shares took a nose dive just before the new shares were issued.
This will happen on 10th Sept for CAL, they're currently at 40p, if my estimations are correct (not a cat in hells chance probably) I reckon they'll dip to maybe 30p and I'll look at getting in then.
I bet none of that happens though, between now and then they'll have doubled and I'll have missed out on a wad of cash!

Associate
Has been a great last few weeks for me, got in to ppa and gkp (my favourite share!) at their lowest which has seen me make a lot of money. Banks are doing incredibly well at the moment as is TW which i predicted months back but never took the punt :(.
Also yell is doing incredibly well and showing support around 40 now which is great news!

All in all a good few months!

Soldato
What's your mid-term view of the major indicies and their effect on your positions?

The problem with 'investing' is compounding in a savings account often, over time, returns a bigger gain. Investing is very, very limiting in that you are swimming against the tide.

You only have to look at the funds that actually achieve a higher rate of return than say an index tracker to realise how difficult 'investing' really is, regardless of how hard you apply internet research there's no ryhm or reason, it's often a cold hard gamble.

Pensions are a prime example of being locked in the long game and underperforming.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Do you guys actually have a strategy or do you merely 'research' public knowledge?

By the sounds of it you're all investors, no traders here?

Buy low, sell high is my strategy :D

I just have bought into stocks that appear low, hence banks and companies like Aviva. Seems to have worked so far, but agreed I'm investing rather than trading

Soldato
Buy low, sell high is my strategy :D

I just have bought into stocks that appear low, hence banks and companies like Aviva. Seems to have worked so far, but agreed I'm investing rather than trading

In the current market for sure that old adage is much easier to comprehend, but what happens if say in six months you want to make another entry and the prices are higher than they are now - what is low and what is high?

Soldato
When everyone gets bullish, it's normally a timely signal to head for the nearest exit!

Even so if you really insist, I'd suggest looking at defensive dividend paying stocks until this madness has cleared.

Back
Top Bottom