TravelUp flight booking - still "On Hold" nearly 48 hours after booking

Associate
Booked some tickets via TravelUp on Monday lunchtime. Paid by CC and received the TravelUp reference and airline reference (Saudi Airways) pretty much straightaway. As I always do, checked the airline on their own website/app, and booking is shown but marked has "On Hold" due to not receiving payment.

Yesterday got an email from Saudi saying if payment is not received by the 9th the tickets may be cancelled. Spoke to TravelUp and the said it can take up to 72 hours for them to make payment.

Interestingly, the email from Saudi mentioned a payment amount about £50 higher than what I paid, which seems like TravelUp will making a loss on these.

Should I be concerned that they won't pay and the tickets will be cancelled?

Thanks!

Associate
OP
I don't want to cancel as it was a good price (over £200.oer.tickets cheaper than direct with the airline) and I want those particles dates. It's a multi stop trip as well so booking with another airline would be difficult.

Soldato
Just call up Credit Card company to cancel the payment then book direct?

I avoid booking via 3rd party these days for flights. Hotels I still use Booking.com but not for flights, not even with Expedia anymore.

Tend to agree - Used Expedia twice in 10 years for flights and both times they have messed us around, cancelled flights, changed them after booking etc.

I'd always book direct these days as it's rare to find a "deal" via any 3rd party websites.....

If it's too good to be true - it probably is.

Associate
OP
Well in this case, Saudi have just issued the etickets so all is good

There is always a risk involved but it's mainly around the tickets not being amendable or cancellable

Soldato
True, but TravelUp have a reasonable reputation and got through to talk to someone within 5 minutes.
Travelup do not have a good reputation. During Covid, I had to fight tooth and nail to get a refund on flights. They tried to charge me £100 admin fee after Cathay cancelled our flights. They turned their telephone lines off, there were multiple facebook groups with several thousand people complaining. The reviews online are filtered and bad ones are removed.

I would strongly recommend not using Travelup!

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Using a 3rd party for flights just adds stress so why bother? Always book direct even if more expensive.

Soldato
Was looking for some holiday tickets and travel up came on top in search results via Skyscanner. But due to my past (bad)experience with another agency I decided to go direct with the airline. It was £130 expensive(for a £4.5k worth of tickets) but the headaches and uncivilised last time in a similar situation made me to go direct. Previously it also started with the same issues the OP had.
Glad it worked out for the op in the end.

Back
Top Bottom