Trials and tribulations of a new Admin.

Soldato
OP
So the dying G5 won't give in. All the services are (I think) transferred off, and to test I shut it down - give it a couple of weeks and if no-one whinges about anything, wipe it (I have a backup of it anyway to retrieve any files hiding there but nowhere else).

So I turned it off. Half an hour it was back on. So I turned it off again. 2 hours later is was back on. Looking at the iLO log it always comes back on exactly on the hour (but not every hour as there was a 2 hour gap for one of them).

The power config is set to not auto power on, the NICs are set to not WOL.

Any idea where else to look?! OS is 2008 R2.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Interesting - HP MSL drivers install nice and easy on Hyper-V server 2012 R2 without issue. When I've installed the Dell equivalent I had to amend the registry to pretend it was regular server 2012 R2 first.
You are installing HPE drivers on a Dell server?

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

So the dying G5 won't give in. All the services are (I think) transferred off, and to test I shut it down - give it a couple of weeks and if no-one whinges about anything, wipe it (I have a backup of it anyway to retrieve any files hiding there but nowhere else).

So I turned it off. Half an hour it was back on. So I turned it off again. 2 hours later is was back on. Looking at the iLO log it always comes back on exactly on the hour (but not every hour as there was a 2 hour gap for one of them).

Reset the BIOS to factory defaults. Make sure you *don't* pick the one that wipes the drives as well!!

Soldato

Pull the power cables out?....

Associate
Are there any tasks in the task manager which could be causing this?

Seems rather strange, but could be a possibility?

My server turns it self on and off (technically hibernates) by using the tasks.

However if all else fails;

Ww7esicl.png.jpg

Soldato
As I am in a similar position that I've moved from SEO/webwork to SEO/web/IT/Networking/backend dev and I've read through this thread, I understand none of it :p

Steep learning curve ahead I think.

Soldato
OP
Ghost busters? I'm going straight for Chuck Norris :)

Interesting - we do have spiceworks so will have a dig around.

NTFS is more resilient, but not immune. I don't think it's been looked after very well. It's STILL 35% fragmented and the backups are running horrifically slowly.

Learning curves can be challenging but very rewarding.

Associate
What backups are you doing that are really slow?

If it consists of lots of very small files there is likely little you can do, it's always a problem.

The way we've tackled it is to divide our Full backups over 7 days. Monday 'a-e' folders run their full, with every other day an incremental. Tuesday 'f' folders run their full, every other day an incremental, etc.

It's a lot more complicated to setup, and takes a bit of time to calculate how to divide it up somewhat evenly across the week but it's working really well for us.

Soldato
OP
If it's a thermal issue I'd expect to see something in the logs? I think the shutdowns/restarts are down to old age, but the turning itself on again on the hour is still stumping me!

The monthly backup is literally everything on the server. Baremetal the works. The idea being restore to the latest monthly then use the dailys to bring it up to date.

I think it's the fragmentation doing it as it really is in a complete mess :(

Soldato
OP
To try and clear space to help with defragging I've been archiving old user accounts - found a folder of profiles from server 2003 days.

129 folders, and at least four of the former users are dead. None in service, but 2 cancer, one old age and one murdered. Not sure why but that made me think a bit.

Associate
Take a look in performance monitor at %disk time, which should flag up if fragmentation is a problem. Maybe hookup an external drive to backup too then leave the tape drive backing that up?

Associate
The monthly backup is literally everything on the server. Baremetal the works. The idea being restore to the latest monthly then use the dailys to bring it up to date.

I think it's the fragmentation doing it as it really is in a complete mess :(

Naturally it depends what you also have housed on C: , but any way you can just bare metal the OS Files, and then do a traditional backup for your file shares, etc?
You also want to exclude the swap file if it's not already. We sidestep the issue on our VM's by having that on it's own drive, but on a physical box it may not be feasible.

I think you need to split the backup into more manageable chunks, baremetal is good for a full DR situation, but is a bit of a sledgehammer when it comes to needing a file level restore.
What if the CEO demands a file that he spent the whole day creating and it only appears in the baremetal backup - how do you get it back?

Back
Top Bottom