Triple monitors and a stand

Associate
OP
Oh yeah duh :rolleyes:

So first 2 with DVI and the 3rd with DP if i remember the AMD specs correctly?

Yeah, that sounds about right.

So onto the stand. Great. /me facepalms

One piece of advice for the stand: Don't use the supplied screws for the VESA mount on the monitors; they have too much play in them. Use the Dell ones already in, remove them and use them to attach the plate to monitor. I think someone on the internet had issues with this, and was complaining about hole sizes and the fact the screws didn't fit.

Now to a bigger problem.

The provided stand came with 2 bolts for attaching the arm extensions. One was right, one was similar, but not the same. The supplied rounded head one won't fit the allen key, so no way of tightening it. The threaded and non threaded parts are also completely different lengths.

I'm also past the closing time for said company, so it'd likely be Thursday before I get another one. Website seems to suggest I can order one for tomorrow, but that's likely going to cause more problems. Will email them and then chase it tomorrow.

A smaller issue, is there seems to be a lot of play/room for movement of the assembly that go around the verticle pole. I'm not sure if this is expected, but for the middle monitor it can represent quite a difference in angle. Also, it doesn't feel secure like this.

There were some plastic sheaths (?) that came in the holes of the arms and the centre monitor attachment. I'm not quite sure of their purpose. On the instructions they seem to be show as still in place when putting the centre monitor attachment, but not so much in the arms. Black for the arms is obviously not going to show up as well in black metal. The white one for the centre does.

Guess I'll take this monitor off the vesa mount and put it on its proper stand for now. Wonder if I can get 2 setup on my current desk... ;D

Associate
Yeah, that sounds about right.

So onto the stand. Great. /me facepalms

One piece of advice for the stand: Don't use the supplied screws for the VESA mount on the monitors; they have too much play in them. Use the Dell ones already in, remove them and use them to attach the plate to monitor. I think someone on the internet had issues with this, and was complaining about hole sizes and the fact the screws didn't fit.

Now to a bigger problem.

The provided stand came with 2 bolts for attaching the arm extensions. One was right, one was similar, but not the same. The supplied rounded head one won't fit the allen key, so no way of tightening it. The threaded and non threaded parts are also completely different lengths.

I'm also past the closing time for said company, so it'd likely be Thursday before I get another one. Website seems to suggest I can order one for tomorrow, but that's likely going to cause more problems. Will email them and then chase it tomorrow.

A smaller issue, is there seems to be a lot of play/room for movement of the assembly that go around the verticle pole. I'm not sure if this is expected, but for the middle monitor it can represent quite a difference in angle. Also, it doesn't feel secure like this.

There were some plastic sheaths (?) that came in the holes of the arms and the centre monitor attachment. I'm not quite sure of their purpose. On the instructions they seem to be show as still in place when putting the centre monitor attachment, but not so much in the arms. Black for the arms is obviously not going to show up as well in black metal. The white one for the centre does.

Guess I'll take this monitor off the vesa mount and put it on its proper stand for now. Wonder if I can get 2 setup on my current desk... ;D

Thats a shame with the issues you have got, hoepfully it won't be too long for you to receive a replacement. Atleast you will be able to use a couple of the awesome monitors for the time being though.

Associate
OP
Thats a shame with the issues you have got, hoepfully it won't be too long for you to receive a replacement. Atleast you will be able to use a couple of the awesome monitors for the time being though.

I've requested they send me a replacement before I send mine back. Hopefully if it turns out they've got a stock issue, with the 2 bolts I can hopefully make one working kit at least! That, and they'd better open a lot of boxes pretty quickly! :D

I've taken a few photos for size comparison, so will post them in a little bit

Associate
OP
By the look of it, I'm not going to have a replacement stand and/or bolt before the weekend.

Got one reply yesterday asking for photo proof (fair enough), which I did mid afternoon after my internet playing up at home. I did reply initially to their request for images to say it would be later in the afternoon (couple of hours). Before the end of the day I got a reply to my email saying they would be delayed.

No reply today, and considering it's now 8 minutes to closing time, I'm not going to get one.

For ease, I swapped my 2 x 22" monitors and have just been using one of the 24s. I'll probably set another one up tonight and see how it looks. Then work out if I can fit 3 with their original stands on my desk too...

Associate
OP
Was it the TS743A you bought? Even though its a lot cheaper then the XFx sounds like a lot of hassle!

It was yeah, but not from a place that lists it as that.

For the bolt it would seem I received a bad item. From the initial response it would seem the rest of the stock is alright.

After not being able to send the images as an attachment (their mail server rejected the total size), I uploaded them elsewhere, and forwarded the link twice. Seems they both got lost, but they received them today.. Slightly annoyed about that, but not sure if they are to blame..

When I do manage to get the bolts sorted out for you I will then contact you.

Not sure why they don't/can't send me a full replacement on next day (saturday even!) delivery. Slightly annoying as I paid for next day delivery of it so I wouldn't be waiting around, but seems it was pretty pointless doing so :(

It would also seem the spaces do indeed need to be in-place. That should sort out most of the play. No rush to try and get it done on my current one, until I know what the solution is going to be..

Associate
OP
Damn.

ParcelForce delivered me a new set of bolts today, yay. Still not sure about using the sheaths/spacers. I can't get them into the clamps and onto the monitor stand too.. Waiting for a reply on that.

In other news I've setup all 3 monitors. Well, I say that. Then I found out you couldn't use DisplayPort as a target with HDMI/DVI or whatever as a source. Easily fixed; I already had a DVI-HDMI cable.

Then it turns out that NVIDIA only let you run 2 monitors per card. Fail.

I've got an EVGA 03G-P3-1584-AR GeForce GTX 580 3072 MB.

I was thinking of getting 2 cards on my next upgrade (soon). So likely 2 x 670 or 2 x 680..

EVGA GTX670 FTW+ 4096MB in SLI or something? Not sure if 2 x GTX 680 is necesserily worth it.

Probably should open a new thread.

Luckily, I'm in the states in about a month...

Associate
Hopefully its still just a single batch/competitor issue and that they will send you out a whole new replacement.

And yeah all the 5series and older nvidia cards only support 2 monitors per card. Just get a couple of 670's as theres not much performance gain for the money between them and 680's. I probably should have listened to not breaking the 2GB vram usage when I got my cards but oh well.

Associate
OP
And yeah all the 5series and older nvidia cards only support 2 monitors per card. Just get a couple of 670's as theres not much performance gain for the money between them and 680's. I probably should have listened to not breaking the 2GB vram usage when I got my cards but oh well.

http://videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

There doesn't seem to be much gain (in rough numbers!) of a 580 -> 6[78]0. Certainly nothing in comparison to what my my GTX 280 to 580 gave!

Amusingly it would seem the 580 cards can still be bought for a similar amount nearly 18 months later

Couple of GTX 670 FTW+ cards seem a good target..

Associate
It sounds like a lot of hard work just to set up a stand! I'm using the Dell stands atm but really running out of space on my desk! I upgraded from a 560 to a Sapphire 7970

Associate
OP
It sounds like a lot of hard work just to set up a stand! I'm using the Dell stands atm but really running out of space on my desk! I upgraded from a 560 to a Sapphire 7970

My desk is just under 5ft wide, but the monitors lined up against the back are about 5ft6 wide.

Stand was picked up for replacement on Friday. We shall see... Noting it'll be 2 weeks later tomorrow :(

Associate
Yeaah. You do wonder.

Hopefully the replacement should be all good...

Yeah hopefully, atleast then we know whether to stay interested in the product or run to XFX for a premium cost. Just wondering if it was a dodgy batch.

Shame overclockers dont stock the stand so you'd get better customer service etc.

Back
Top Bottom