TSOHost

Associate
Kinsta look decent but they are far more expensive than Krystal. I don't need anything major. The lack of SSL with TSO is what's driving me away. The ruby plan on krystal looks like it will do what I need.

Soldato
I moved away from TSO to Stablepoint. I think the guys running that are the original TSO guys. (Could be wrong!)

Customer service is always a near instant response which is what TSO used to have!

Soldato
Kinsta are great, the only concern with them is the "Monthly Visits" metric that they use as a limiting factor between plans. It's just an upsell metric because visitors don't directly correlate to server resources required to run the website.

To give you a real world idea of this, I host Site A receiving around 750,000 unique visitors per month on a very basic plan that would cost a fiver a month if it weren't for some backup/replication addons. Another site I host is 2-3000 visitors per month but requires far more server resources and bandwidth.

Associate
I moved over to Stablepoint today. Overall it went smoothly and now I have SSL. I flicked a setting in cpanel to force https as I noticed it was defaulting to http otherwise. Thanks to @tsinc80697 for pointing me in their direction.

Not long after the move I received an email from TSO asking why I was going?

Soldato
Kinsta look decent but they are far more expensive than Krystal. I don't need anything major. The lack of SSL with TSO is what's driving me away. The ruby plan on krystal looks like it will do what I need.

This. The SSL certificate expired on the site I am the webmaster for a couple of weeks ago, they have put obstacles in the way to try to install a new certificate from lets encrypt. They have asked me if they want to provide a certificate, but that costs money and its a charity website which they cant afford to pay. So I've found an alternative and godaddyhost will be kicked to the kerb.

Soldato
Just come here to see who's hosting with who as I've been with TSO for about 15 years as well, they started off amazing and now are awful. Live chat takes 3 hours to get through to, no Let's Encrypt free SSL support either. They auto-moved me without mentioning it from one package that was around £45 a year to one that's £450! Luckily I just happened to notice it on my dashboard as I was clicking through something, otherwise they would have auto-renewed at that price. 8o Can't be legal, surely??! They said I was using more space than I should have been. If they had alerted me I could have just deleted the 10 years of pointless auto-backups but instead I've been having to manually move to a cheaper package again (they said they can't help move me back, how convenient) which has taken days and I'm still not done. It's a nightmare!

I'll take a look at Krystal and Stablepoint, any preference between them overall? cheers guys.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone know if TSO still operate out of their Slough DC or have they merged infrastructure with GoDaddy now?
I'm started to assume the latter but never been able to find anything.

A few years ago.. Go Daddy wasn't it.
Started to go to pot when Host Europe, they owned Heart which says everything, bought them (Paragon); only got worse since GoDaddy grabbed Host Europe.

...no Let's Encrypt free SSL support either...
They do support it but it's certainly the case with their VPS products that you have to request it via a ticket which is moronic but that's TSO for you.
Both Krystal and Stablepoint are decent, and i would give AllHost a look as well.

Man of Honour
Anyone know if TSO still operate out of their Slough DC or have they merged infrastructure with GoDaddy now?
I'm started to assume the latter but never been able to find anything.
The Slough DC no longer exists, kit was moved out a while ago and the building was bulldozed:

As far as I can figure out, for a while now any Tsohost signups have been deployed to Godaddy datacentres in USA, Strasbourg or Asia.

But it's tricky to work out because on the tsohost.com homepage it says:

"

Why choose tsoHost?

In online reviews, our customers wax lyrical about the speed of our web hosting solutions and the capability of our support team. Lip service is also paid to how flexible tsoHost’s hosting plans are, and how secure our solutions are. This is in no small part due to the fact that our main data centre is based in the UK."

However here it says https://www.tsohost.com/data-centre-and-network :

" For most of our products, you can pick between locations in Europe, Asia and North America.....Multiple factors, from the location of your headquarters to the location of your client base, will influence your choice of data centre location. If green credentials are an important factor for you, then our Strasbourg DC could be the option for you."

So I'm not entirely sure, but certainly nothing is setup in the old Slough DC anymore as it doesn't exist.

Aside from this I can't quite believe they've just turned off the Gridhost platform when apparently many people were still using it judging by twitter/facebook.

Soldato
Not sure if I can post where I’m hosting my site now, but moved away from TSOhost finally for hosting.

Just a basic personal website so now paying £36 a year.

Domains are still with them but can easily be transferred if need be

Last edited:
Soldato
Also moved away from tsohost completely now. I used to buy my domains, host them, and email with them. Unfortunately their support and service went from amazing to average to pretty poor. They also tried the massive price increase thing on me a while back - I complained and they charged me the old price, but they have still let me down since.
Along with the fact that they don't support MFA - I had to move away. It's a shame - they were amazing! I used to get support directly from the owners back in the day!

I used to get support directly from the owners back in the day!
indeed. vidahost/tsohost owners would post here iirc.

fair play to them for doing well and moving on. i wonder how they feel when they look at what they made and how it's viewed now. is seeing it bigger and more profitable a good feeling, or do they get sad to see it rated much lower (by ocuk users)

Soldato
indeed. vidahost/tsohost owners would post here iirc.

fair play to them for doing well and moving on. i wonder how they feel when they look at what they made and how it's viewed now. is seeing it bigger and more profitable a good feeling, or do they get sad to see it rated much lower (by ocuk users)

One might worry history is due to repeat itself with the shoe on the other foot.

Hopefully they can pop along and give some transparency/reassurance to the somewhat recent expansion of the Stablepoint World Host Group conglomerate https://worldhost.group/#brands

I am generally a fan (and existing long-term customer) of Stablepoint but it's an interesting move indeed particularly as their new and existing hosting services are moving from the public-cloud based services (AWS/GCP/AZURE/DO/etc) - which was one of the main attractions imo - and now on to rented and co-located servers (from OVH, Leaseweb, Colocrossing, etc).. which really cuts out a big chunk of the USP* and wasn't particularly announced to customers.

stable2.png
stable2.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
One might worry history is due to repeat itself with the shoe on the other foot.

Hopefully they can pop along and give some transparency/reassurance to the somewhat recent expansion of the Stablepoint World Host Group conglomerate https://worldhost.group/#brands

I am generally a fan (and existing long-term customer) of Stablepoint but it's an interesting move indeed particularly as their new and existing hosting services are moving from the public-cloud based services (AWS/GCP/AZURE/DO/etc) - which was one of the main attractions imo - and now on to rented and co-located servers (from OVH, Leaseweb, Colocrossing, etc).. which really cuts out a big chunk of the USP* and wasn't particularly announced to customers.

* [spoil
Given I've now used almost every major cloud/infrastructure provider I can say they all have their ups and downs. Some much more so than others.

Don't really want to talk too much about my business here since usually it's not allowed, but I wrote to every customer about moves to our own fully-owned best-in-class hardware. NVMe for everyone! :)

I checked out Tsohost.com just now and the homepage still proudly talks about a "bespoke 150-metre dark fibre network ring". Sigh.

Soldato
Also moved away from tsohost completely now. I used to buy my domains, host them, and email with them. Unfortunately their support and service went from amazing to average to pretty poor. They also tried the massive price increase thing on me a while back - I complained and they charged me the old price, but they have still let me down since.
Along with the fact that they don't support MFA - I had to move away. It's a shame - they were amazing! I used to get support directly from the owners back in the day!

Same experience here. Loads of issues with TSO. Slow customer support. Supposed malware on my sites even though I couldn't find anything (and neither could they). Downtime. Failure to properly manage Let's Encrypt. Plenty of price rises. Went to another provider and they have been a million times better.

Back
Top Bottom