TV Fixtures and TV Rights thread.

Caporegime
I know it's not currently an option but I'm certain that they'll be watching the situation with Eleven Sports with a lot of interest. If there's any chance that the 3pm blackout isn't legally secure, I'm certain that we'll see some sort of compromise when the next lot of rights are sold - a single Saturday 3pm kick-off for example.
If it does happen it'll likely start with foreign football rather than any UK 3pm kick off. We'll see if Eleven Sport tries any legal avenues.

Don
OP
If it does happen it'll likely start with foreign football rather than any UK 3pm kick off. We'll see if Eleven Sport tries any legal avenues.
Well the PL rights aren't going to be up for sale for nearly 3 years again so it'll be a perfect trial before they're due.

Don
OP
BT Sports have retained the rights for the CL for the 2021/22 season through to the 2023/24 season. There was some talk that ITV were going to bid for the rights of some games and it would have been nice to have football on free to air TV again but BT's CL coverage is fantastic.

Caporegime
As a Sky subscriber I can't justify the amount they charge on top. £30 odd for a few PL games and CL? No thanks.

What really winds me up is that when Sky lost the rights originally then put the prices up I said "Hold on im paying more for less content here" and they said the reason they let BT have it was because they had canvassed Sky customers and the result was they didn't care about CL football. Apparently they did care about the Eredivisie though :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

They've even lost that now.

Caporegime
As a Sky subscriber I can't justify the amount they charge on top. £30 odd for a few PL games and CL? No thanks.

What really winds me up is that when Sky lost the rights originally then put the prices up I said "Hold on im paying more for less content here" and they said the reason they let BT have it was because they had canvassed Sky customers and the result was they didn't care about CL football. Apparently they did care about the Eredivisie though :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

They've even lost that now.
Sky spent less than £200m per rights period for the CL rights and bid what they thought they were worth. Spread that out over four years, per customer and it’s pennies per month. How insulted would you have felt if Sky told you they were discounting your Sky Sports Sub by 8p per month after the loss of x sports rights?

anyway, sky sports can be had for less than £20pm these days in addition to the Entertainment pack.

Caporegime
Sky spent less than £200m per rights period for the CL rights and bid what they thought they were worth. Spread that out over four years, per customer and it’s pennies per month. How insulted would you have felt if Sky told you they were discounting your Sky Sports Sub by 8p per month after the loss of x sports rights?

anyway, sky sports can be had for less than £20pm these days in addition to the Entertainment pack.

Let's not get into what a disgrace Sky are, I'd be here all day.

A discount for less content would've been nice rather than putting the price up however.

Don
OP
This is probably a more broader subject than just football rights but I think we're going to see more and more changes to the way subscription tv is offered in the future. As @MissChief touches on, Sky have already fragmented their offering into smaller packages so people can pick and choose what content they want to pay for and what they don't. With Amazon moving into sports and with DAZN growing all the time, that's only going to put Sky under more pressure to be even more innovative with how they offer their content. I'm sure it won't be long before we'll be able to buy PL football from Sky, BT, Amazon or whoever else without having to pay for every other sport and or having to pay for their 'entertainment packs' too. Obviously if you're the person that wants all the entertainment packs, movies and every sport from every provider you're probably going to be worse off but hopefully it'll benefit the majority.

Caporegime
This is probably a more broader subject than just football rights but I think we're going to see more and more changes to the way subscription tv is offered in the future. As @MissChief touches on, Sky have already fragmented their offering into smaller packages so people can pick and choose what content they want to pay for and what they don't. With Amazon moving into sports and with DAZN growing all the time, that's only going to put Sky under more pressure to be even more innovative with how they offer their content. I'm sure it won't be long before we'll be able to buy PL football from Sky, BT, Amazon or whoever else without having to pay for every other sport and or having to pay for their 'entertainment packs' too. Obviously if you're the person that wants all the entertainment packs, movies and every sport from every provider you're probably going to be worse off but hopefully it'll benefit the majority.

It's an interesting subject, one which Sky is well aware of. Sky has, recently anyway, looked at some of it's competitors and decided 'lets work with these guys' rather than continually fighting with each other. Sky's deal with Netflix and complete integration into the Sky Q box is unheard of and is also the first time Netflix has allowed such integration. That Sky and BT Sport are also working together to bring BT Sport to Sky and allowing it to be retailed by Sky (which looks like it may be finally happening in Jan or Feb next year) shows what a great position Sky is in.

The acquisition of UK La Liga rights by Eleven Sport and the subsequent puling and redistribution of those rights show that the overwhelming majority of people still want to watch Sport on a big screen, sitting on a comfy sofa, not on a tablet, laptop or Mobile phone if they can avoid it. Sky have a steady and slowly increasing userbase of customers that can be retailed to with an already existing distribution network readily available. It's the reason Boxnation, Premier Sport, Racing UK and even BT Sport themselves are on the Sky Platform. Sure it may not be particularly cheap, but it's still a lot cheaper and gives more potential customers than any other distribution method, as Eleven Sport found out. It will certainly be interesting to see how many people watch the Amazon Christmas Football matches as this will no doubt give a big indicator of Amazon and if they think showing more matches can be beneficial to them.

It should also be noted that many people here and elsewhere have been proclaiming Sky's demise for several years now but they consistently buck that supposed trend and help keep them gaining customers with new content and new Hardware. I can't see them disappearing any time soon and now with Comcast investment (which means no paying for NBC shows and likely having an exclusive on every NBC show as well as Universal films and their back catalogue) available they may even start to expand into the rest of Europe too.

Now TV is expanding massively within Sky with a lot of hiring going on, is going to 1080p soon (4k/UHD is likely a long way off to not step on the Sky Q offering) and will likely roll out into the rest of Europe soon.

Man of Honour
the overwhelming majority of people still want to watch Sport on a big screen, sitting on a comfy sofa, not on a tablet, laptop or Mobile phone if they can avoid it

Not sure how long this will last though, I used to have similar views about general consumption of content but mobile devices are becoming quite ubiquitous now alongside the improvements in networking etc. La Liga is one thing but I would expect if there was a viable alternative to Sky for EPL football etc it could gain traction online.
Sky have done well with Sky Q in terms of the online integration and it's now even a case that I will choose to download a film we already have from Sky rather than faff about trying to find the DVD. Offering Netflix I think helps as well as this can see them shifting to more of a 'platform provider' as much as anything as people like the convenience of having everything in one place with a consistent interface.

Soldato
I quite enjoy Amazon's coverage of the pl, much better than both sky and bt, here's hoping they continue that high standard with the cl games.

Soldato
The delay in part I would guess is down to the quality they are broadcasting in. I would imagine that's the excuse Sky will use for their poor quality on SkyGo and NowTV, its to allow real-time viewing without delay :p

Soldato
yep, and if you use your phone for that you are ahead of the broadcast

Last season i tried to do a player to score next as he was being subbed on but it wouldn't let me. Turned out he scored within a minute of coming on, the delay meant I hadn't seen it yet. Not impressed.

Don
OP
The guy that runs Amazon Prime video has tweeted that Amazon have the rights for the 'top pick matches every Tuesday'. So basically Amazon have the rights for the 2 PL teams matches every Tuesday with BT keeping all other matches on Tuesdays and everything on the Wednesday's.

Two rounds of PL matches on Amazon over Christmas wasn't a big issue - anybody that didn't have Prime could take a free month trial to watch those games but now, if you want to watch all PL football and PL sides in Europe, you really are going to have to sub to 3 different broadcasters.

Caporegime
The guy that runs Amazon Prime video has tweeted that Amazon have the rights for the 'top pick matches every Tuesday'. So basically Amazon have the rights for the 2 PL teams matches every Tuesday with BT keeping all other matches on Tuesdays and everything on the Wednesday's.

Two rounds of PL matches on Amazon over Christmas wasn't a big issue - anybody that didn't have Prime could take a free month trial to watch those games but now, if you want to watch all PL football and PL sides in Europe, you really are going to have to sub to 3 different broadcasters.
There isn’t really many midweek PL fixtures until late in the season anyway, especially when European competitions are in full swing.

Don
OP
There isn’t really many midweek PL fixtures until late in the season anyway, especially when European competitions are in full swing.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. What I was saying is that previously, when all Amazon had wad 2 rounds of fixtures over Xmas, anybody that wanted to watch all PL football and PL sides in the CL could do so without paying for Prime, at least not for the whole year. Now that Amazon have regular CL games, if you want to watch everything that's an extra £8 per month.

Back
Top Bottom