TV on a budget

Soldato
Top gear challenge for the TV gurus, if you had £100-£200 to spend on a second hand approx 50” TV what would you be searching for?

I want a bigger TV but don’t want to spend much cash at the minute!

Associate
Definitely interested in people’s thoughts on this, just purchase a house and needing a tv for main bedroom but haven’t got a large slush fund left.

Associate
If it wasn't going to be used for anything heavy and was just for casual watching, think I'd try and look for a discounted or secondhand Hisense, this is coming for someone who is an LG OLED snob.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If it wasn't going to be used for anything heavy and was just for casual watching, think I'd try and look for a discounted or secondhand Hisense, this is coming for someone who is an LG OLED snob.
Will replace my main tv which is an ancient 37” plasma I’ve always been pretty happy with the picture and space constraints in our old house ruled out a significant increase in screen size (might have squeezed in a 40” with a thin bezel). Now we’ve moved the old TV looks a little lost in the new living room bad sadly major refurbishment works limit the TV budget as it simply isn’t a priority!

Soldato
OP
You may be significantly disappointed with a cheapo new TV coming from a plasma, even an ancient one.
I have considered just tracking down a similar age Panasonic plasma as surely they are worth peanuts at 10-15 years old

Tv doesn’t need to be particularly new I’m happy to go old to get the best bang for buck.

Last edited:
Caporegime
At a push, Panasonic TX-50MX610B is £250 at Costco currently, so comes with a 5 year warranty.

Or the slightly larger Hisense 55E7KQTUK for £330.

Hell, I'm using an pretty old and basic Samsung 32" in the bedroom, does the job when sticking to tv or films that don't benefit from bombastic screens/panels.

That said, I do want to upgrade to a 42" OLED for around £700 at some point.

Soldato
OP
thanks @tamzzy and @krooton those are some great value options!

Now I’m doing that man maths thing and thinking well I had my last TV for a decade because I bought well when I got it should I up my budget and buy something that will last me a good few years and avoid the risk of dissapointment! Is there anything in the £5-600 bracket in a 50-55” that is enough of an upgrade on the budget options to tempt me?

Caporegime
thanks @tamzzy and @krooton those are some great value options!

Now I’m doing that man maths thing and thinking well I had my last TV for a decade because I bought well when I got it should I up my budget and buy something that will last me a good few years and avoid the risk of dissapointment! Is there anything in the £5-600 bracket in a 50-55” that is enough of an upgrade on the budget options to tempt me?

Or for a slightly smaller TV but brighter panel better for hdr
https://www.costco.co.uk/TVs-Electr...-Mini-LED-4K-Ultra-HD-144Hz-Smart-TV/p/499465

I was lucky enough to pick up a 65" Philips PUS8808/12 for 600 last week, but prices have jumped back up.

Last edited:
Associate
I’d aim for a Panasonic plasma. Preferably a VT.

Granted it’ll only be 1080p but the image quality still holds up.

You could also sell it for what you paid for it too!

Last edited:
Soldato
£100-£200? I'd just eBay with a filter set to local only, and find the nearest 50 inch that was also the cheapest. They will all be LCD/LED at that price range if not faulty, and therefore much of a muchness. Maybe some of the older Sony smart ones will be decent.

Soldato
OP
I’d aim for a Panasonic plasma. Preferably a VT.

Granted it’ll only be 1080p but the image quality still holds up.

You could also sell it for what you paid for it too!
Amusingly I’m in negotiations for a 46” Panasonic plasma aiming to bring in well under £100 so a decent upgrade in screen size and an improvement in picture over the current 37” plasma that’s ’only’ 720p! Just need to bring the owner round to my way of thinking on price!

Back
Top Bottom