Twin Towers steel set for US warship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
bit off this, I think:(

Twin Towers steel set for US warship

_38248740_ffurnace300.jpg

Steel salvaged from the wreckage of the World Trade Center in New York has been sent to a Mississippi shipyard to be used in the construction of a new US warship

The metal was taken from the Fresh Kills landfill in New York, where the debris of the twin towers was dumped after they collapsed in last year's 11 September attacks.

According to reports, a massive structural beam which supported the south tower will be used to build USS New York, an amphibious vessel capable of carrying more than 1,000 soldiers.

The recycling for profit of metal from the twin towers, where nearly 3,000 people lost their lives, has proved to be process fraught with emotion and controversy.

plus ici;)http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2611059.stm

Associate
Messing with a Nd:YAG, DCM and a Raman Shifter
Originally posted by Chrisp7
I guess so... but it seems to be a pretty potent symbol of what has actually come out of 11th September - hope this makes sense!

Thats the thing - I don't see 1.6 billion tonnes of debris as a symbol - its just a mess that needs to be cleaned up, any recycling the steel make good economic and environmental sence. I don't want to sound heartless, but it just seems very strange to me that some people seem to have an emotional attachment to the rubble from a tragedy like this.

Soldato
Its typically 'american' tho that the steel is not being used for any normal purpose but for a warship called New York. It's a very patriotic move.

Associate
seems a good use of materials and recycling

i mean, what would be in worse taste, them building a ship to protect the USA coast and rights, or them building a plane with it?

Permabanned
Originally posted by PurDunamis
I don't think it was a deliberate choice - just happend that way, not many things you need that much steel for:)

Aye quite, I think some are reading into this too far. Because tbh not much steal is needed in such large quantities as this as most things are alloys or plastics these days.

Soldato
To be honest, I wouldn't want to captain that ship. I think it would be kind of jinxed...after all, there is the blood of 4000 people on it....and it would be yet another status symbol that AQ and others would want to attack.

"Look world, we did it again".

Hmmm =/

Suspended
I think's it's right that they use the scrap metal.

True it was involved in a terrible attrocity (sp?) but what would you do with the metal, bury it?

Recycling is good and simply junking the metal would have been a needless waste of money.

Associate
At the end of the day , its a big lump of steel , the boat needed a big lump of steel , lets put this big lump of steel , where its needed , with the boat that needs a big lump of steel.

Is it me or is it sounding a bit like a Dr Seus 'Cat in the hat' book? Who coincidently reminds me of Jamiroquai.. lol ;)

Associate
hmmm i'd rather it went to something useful..... :(

what a waste. And yes it is symbolic. American pride blah blah blah lets overthrow any government who have money and dont allign with us yadda yadda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom