UEFA Champions & Europa League Football Thread QF 2L ** spoilers ** [16th - 18th April 2024]

Man of Honour
i think away goals needs to be bought back

first leg ends in a tie the match then may aswell of not happened it means absolutely nothing
It doesn't mean nothing though, it means the second match needs a winner to decide the tie, unlike if there is a victor in the first leg. The whole point is you play home and away to make it fair, rather than just playing one match, both sets of fans get to see the big european tie at their ground, more TV money bla bla.
I mean, if we're going down that route you may as well flip the argument on its head and say if a team wins the first match, and the 2nd match is a draw, then the second match 'may as well not of happened it means absolutely nothing'.

edit: as for away goals, I didn't feel they needed to be removed, but I'm not particularly fussed either way. The biggest issue I have with away goals is when they get counted in extra time because then one team gets more time to score away goals than the other team. I remember Arsenal losing to Wigan due that that crap.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
i think away goals needs to be bought back

first leg ends in a tie the match then may aswell of not happened it means absolutely nothing

Yeah, i feel like we've lost something with no away goals. A tactical element that was always interesting. Dunno what the data says but perhaps we do get more goals across the two ties though

Yep away goals was a lot cooler and not a great change

You lot are mad. These have been the best set of QFs I have seen in god knows how long.

So far we have had 29 goals over 6 games and the two best games are hopefully to come tonight. Thats an average of nearly 5 goals a game.

Soldato
You lot are mad. These have been the best set of QFs I have seen in god knows how long.

So far we have had 29 goals over 6 games and the two best games are hopefully to come tonight. Thats an average of nearly 5 goals a game.
Away goals were horrendous!

Last edited:
Associate
I was delighted when they scrapped the away goals rule, however in the office I'm in a minority of one. People have either forgotten how tedious the vast majority of away goal counts games were or they are simply furious that somethings changed. The rule didn't have any upside and I don't think should ever have been introduced.

Id like to know what people loved so much about it.

Man of Honour
So basically what you find in football is that often the fear of failure overcomes the opportunity for success when it comes to risk taking.

Away goals: Supposed to avoid away teams parking the bus, in reality, makes home teams park the bus.
Golden Goal: Supposed to encourage attacking play to get the winner, in reality, teams are too worried about letting in a goal

Even the change to 3 points for a win in the league isn't quite as impactful as it should be. Basically when a match between two evenly matched sides is tied, game theory dictates that both teams should be pushing hard for the win. Lets suppose you were to win 40% and lose 60% because you've left yourself overexposed. On average, you still get more points (1.2) compared to a draw (1). Teams settle for draws far too readily.

Caporegime

Definitely caused some dull affairs but I think most of them would have been regardless

Tension felt different, 2005 Liverpool Chelsea being a great example

Back
Top Bottom