Underperforming nations

Associate
Having a quick glance through the medals table, it seems to me that there are two countries significantly under performing based on population and previous performance - India and Australia. India see themselves as just as important in the world as china, yet in sport they are showing they are still 3rd world. Australia seem to set themselves out to beat the uk in everything they do, yet as the hosts from just 12 years ago they are not doing well at all with just one gold after the first full week.
This also makes things look very good for the home nations at Glasgow 2014.

Soldato
Australia, much like Russia, seem to have been desperately unlucky so far. They've both got loads of Silver but very few Golds (3 for Russia).

There was an article in the Guardian recently that pointed out that Australia are lacking in top class swimmers at the moment, which has been one of the main reasons they're languishing. Combined with having been unable to get much in the rowing (such a shame!), that's cost them.

India just don't seem to have much interest in the Olympic sports. As I just posted in another thread, they have 23 medals in their history! For a country of their size that's shocking.

NZB

NZB

Associate
A lot of Australias good events so far are also ours, a good chunk of the silvers they have could have been gold if it weren't for us.

E: Here's a fun fact, there are 3 times as many people in the UK as there are in Australia.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Australia usually get a lot of golds from swimming but USA has dominated it.. they must have got about 75% of their medals from swimming.

Caporegime
Look at the history, I'm surprised so many people are surprised about our performances in this olympics so far.

Australia were winning well under 30 medals before the 96 Olympics, the 96 Olympics saw it go up significantly and then again in 2000 at the home olympics, it went down by a fairly large number in the very next olympics and further still at Beijing.

Look at the Chinese, they used to win sub 30 medals not that long ago it was increasing and in the run up to their home olympics went through the roof. America has since 1900 peaked massively for olympics but more recently you see the numbers coming up the olympics before. When they had them very close to each other LA/Atlanta the numbers didn't go down much in between and even more recently its been fairly stable.

Basically when people start to bid for the olympics the home nations goes into "find every kid who is good at sport in any way and run him to death till he wins something".

In the past it used to be, olympics over, go get a crap job now but in the past 15 years the "pro" nature of athletes and advertising money going through the roof, sponsorship has made athletics so insanely profitable we don't really see such a massive drop off. Athletics has been huge in the UK for a while, we will have pumped WAY more money into it than almost any other nation, we'll peak and then a lot of these guys will stay athletes.

Australia are 12 years on from their olympics, barely anyone involved then still involved(competing wise), the upswing of people taking up athletics after an olympics is well and truly gone.

Spain, 4 medals before Barca, 22 at barca, a general slowing down over the next 15 years and 3 so far here, well and truly back to where they were.

This happens, you have huge spending, investment, coaches, sporting venues built, training facilities built, paying coaches, then a decade later half the training facilities are run down, the coaches have retired, the athlete's don't get funding to train so have jobs and train on the side and it goes down hill, as they do less well, less kids get into athletics.

Look at the numbers for the Melboure olympics mid last century, 1/13/11 medals in the year before, 35 for the year it was in Aussie, the 5 years after were 22/18/17/17/5 medals.

The greeks, who should really care about the olympics, years running up to Athens were 1/2/8/13 then 16 medals in the year they held it. So no where, then a ramp in quality when they know they'll host it, then 4/2 medals in the years following.

Basically expect any country who hosts it to ramp before, peak, then disappear, with only a few ultra sporting nations to stay pretty high all the time, Aussie won't completely disappear, USA never will, Russia/China, we'll probably use this and continue much higher than normal for a pretty long amount of time.

India just suck, they are one of the poorest countries around with more poor people than pretty much any country in the world, the country is in a horrific state, they can't afford to invest in athlete's to "force" them into becoming a nation that could compete. They've never gotten over 3 medals in an olympics, ever, they just don't give a damn about athletics as a nation.

Basically no one is underperforming, very few countries who haven't been a host nation care all that much about it, home nations almost always do significantly better than normal(but see the increase in the previous olympics as well), almost always drop off dramatically after.

Last edited:
Soldato
Look at all that text.

Basically when people start to bid for the olympics the home nations goes into "find every kid who is good at sport in any way and run him to death till he wins something".
I think I might be wrong, but isn't there also a requirement for the home country to provide a team in every sport? Or is it that they often just take up the chance because there's no need to qualify in them?

Because I'm sure I heard we never had a handball or a water polo team before they awarded us the games in 2003, and we set them up specifically for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
India just suck, they are one of the poorest countries around with more poor people than pretty much any country in the world, the country is in a horrific state, they can't afford to invest in athlete's to "force" them into becoming a nation that could compete. They've never gotten over 3 medals in an olympics, ever, they just don't give a damn about athletics as a nation.

India has plenty of money, it's just shockingly poorly distributed thanks to mass corruption.

In answer to the OP, India does not really care about any sport other than cricket. Hockey is quite popular, and football is popular in the communist states of India. That's about it though.

Caporegime
Because I'm sure I heard we never had a handball or a water polo team before they awarded us the games in 2003, and we set them up specifically for it.

I looked it up after your post it was july 2005 we were awarded the games and still I find it hard to believe it was that long ago, my god the time has flown!

Associate
at these games, russia is certainly the biggest underperformer. Looking at their record, they should be in 2nd or 3rd. Even 4th place would be underperforming for them but they're way below that.

They have plenty of medals just mainly silver and bronze. Must be disappointing but they've just been quite unlucky I guess.

Having said that, we got 2 golds today but we could very easily have had up to 5 or 6, we just got pipped to the post in several events by a very small margin. This is what's happening to russia they just have a lot worse luck than us.

Associate
trouble is the base sports of the olympics are centred around european models

lots of other sports that some of these countries would do better in but are not popularist outside of there own areas i guess.

theres only 36 is it sports represented .. cant rememebr off hand

Man of Honour
theres only 36 is it sports represented .. cant rememebr off hand

36 categories although it's slightly more complicated than that - there are a number of different events within the catch-all term of athletics but then there's four different types of cycling listed separately (although again with different sub-events in there), two types of canoeing, two types of gymnastics etc.

Canada are doing rubbish but come the winter olympics things will look completely different.

Canada have about half our population and don't tend to ever do particularly well in the Summer Olympics as far as I remember, exceptions such as Donovan Bailey aside.

Caporegime
Caporegime
Look at all that text.

I think I might be wrong, but isn't there also a requirement for the home country to provide a team in every sport? Or is it that they often just take up the chance because there's no need to qualify in them?

I think selection was based on passing the qualifying standard to get funding to go. Outside of that you needed to find another way to fund yourself.
I'm sure there are 1 or 2 events that didn't have people / teams qualifying but are there now.

Caporegime
As the host nation you do not need to qualify for any event, so Team GB took the oportunity to enter into every event.

You don't have to do it, but GB decided they wanted too.

Soldato
Canada never do that well in the summer olympics, as a canadian myself i am disappointed but at the last Winter olympics we absolutely caned every other nation and took the most gold medals ever in the winter olympics.

Yeah thats what I mean, someone said about countries being geared up for different sports, Canada spends enough time covered in snow to necessitate being good at wintery things. The UK will always be pants at the winter olympics, but thrive in the summer olympics.

Back
Top Bottom