Poll: United States Grand Prix 2016, Austin - Race 18/21

Rate the 2016 United States Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don
So who would you put in next year's Renault if it's between Mag and Jolyon - it's a tough one isn't it.. there's hardly anything in it really, either one going would be a loss for the Sport as I think they've both got great potential in a competitive car.

I think in the last couple of races Jolyon has been more of a stand out - he had a bit of a rough start to the season with some silly mistakes, but is now showing some good potential (and in the right car probably has the potential to be a winner).

Magnussen just doesn't seem to set the world on fire, but in a better car would probably be a reliable and consistent (albeit boring) points finisher.

Soldato
So who would you put in next year's Renault if it's between Mag and Jolyon - it's a tough one isn't it.. there's hardly anything in it really, either one going would be a loss for the Sport as I think they've both got great potential in a competitive car.

Kmag, he has outclassed Palmer throughout the season 8 pts to 1, also Kmag has proved in the past that he could race with the big boys and get podium finishes. Palmer hasn't shown anything special all year except a couple of decent performances in the last races but a day late and a dollar short in my book.

Palmer whining and asking for team orders reminded me of Grosjean a few years ago crying about Kimi. Palmer doesn't deserve a works team seat, instead he should be a at Sauber, Haas etc.. to improve before getting a works seat

TBH I am hoping Renault can get Ocon (being able to beat Max has to count for something), though the pundits think he will be at Force India. who knows maybe Bottas may reconsider after the dismal race he had with Williams this weekend. I don't see things drastically improving in 2017 for Williams tbh, since McLaren and Renault will likely surpass them

Last edited:
Soldato

It is hard, i would choose Mag short term or Jolyon long term.

Associate
I give the race a 2. Absolutely loved the radio message from Max "I am not here to finish fourth" As for the race, I thought it was boring and predictable. Alonso was brilliant, that guy is on another level. I don't know about the rest of you guys but every time I see a pass in F1 now, my first thoughts are, was that within the rules? Hamilton got the start he was looking for and stayed out front. Rosberg did what he had to do and followed Hamilton home. Red Bulls are getting quicker and could interfere with the drivers championship. Tell you what, if Liberty Media want more races in American they need to improve the show big time because the current one is awful.

Soldato

Right now, I'd be inclined to give the seat to Jolyon, when the car has not let him down he has come on leaps and bounds in the second half of the season so far.

Wasn't he on schedule to beat KMag again at Austin until the VSC, not to mention the team would not help him progress when he rapidly caught Kmag earlier in the race?

Is JEV available next season? Random name that drops into my tired head.

Soldato
How many seasons has Mag had? Compared to JP's single season, and he is already competing right up with him - only one choice really.

Just dont see KM as anything special - Maybe JP will be an also ran as well, but right now KM just looks bang average

Soldato
I'm surprised how well Palmer has adjusted, I thought he'd be terrible but is actually doing quite well. Commercially (for advertisers / sponsors) Magnussen has it for me. Palmer just doesn't come across as very likeable in the media.

Man of Honour
as others have said depends what you want. palmer has a potentially brighter future and could possibly be much better. Kmag is the safer bet you know what you're getting, but unlikely to improve.

Associate
I had an epic weekend in Texas.

Sat up at Turn 1 on the hill in General Admission all weekend in some great weather, met some cool people from all over the world, drank over priced beer, made the track invasion (By queuing up 15 laps before the end) and legged it all the way down the S/F straight.

Made it in front of the podium and hung around for a while after the race, was in a small bunch of Brits who kept shouting to Johnny Herbert and were trying to distract him. He eventually came over with Damon Hill when they were off the air and had a short chat to us all.

Poor show from the track though, kicked us off the track 20-30 minutes earlier than planned so we could "Make it to the Usher Concert". Nobody gave a damn about the Usher post race concert, the track officials didn't get their way so they got the Police involved, who forced us off the track.

Still, 10/10 weekend and some epic sunburn/tan lines in random places to boot.

Same again next year maybe, along with Canada. :D

Back
Top Bottom