**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
I’m in the market for tyres in the near future (again…)

This time on a car I’ve just bought which has different tyres on each axle.

I was sold on Asy 6, but the wear rates seem pretty high.

They seemingly do on SC7 as well.

PS4S seem to be better, but unsure of any other options.

Anyone have recommendations?

Man of Honour
S5 is the one. I’m contemplating taking the Cup tyres off. Contemplating…

It’s a compromise tyre that works well when hot and far from well when not. Going to need to swap all 4 soon but don’t want to lose vast amounts of grip and feel.

Soldato
S5 is the one. I’m contemplating taking the Cup tyres off. Contemplating…

It’s a compromise tyre that works well when hot and far from well when not. Going to need to swap all 4 soon but don’t want to lose vast amounts of grip and feel.

I take it this is on the GT R?

Boils down to what you're trying to achieve.

Is it that you're not happy with the cold grip of the Cups?

I have lost steering feel in all the Michelin tyres I've fitted, coming from other brands.

135i - Dunlop -> PS5

Found significant steering feel loss, but improved ride quality and traction. It never came back, even after 1k miles on them, and making sure they're well inflated

Boxster - Goodyear Supersport N rated -> PS4S N rated

Noticeable steering feel loss, better ride quality and superior grip once they settled in. They seem to wear quite quick. I'm into 5-5.5mm with only about 1.5k miles on them. 7.2 new I think.

The SC7s seem to be well regarded. If you've got the money to chuck at the car, perhaps give them a go first?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Would you replace these tyres? Week 51 2018 Michelin PSS, lots of tread.
However, note the cracking..

ySophC4.jpeg

hjKde7Y.png

Man of Honour
Seen that a lot with 2018/19 tyres, possibly other years, but I've had 2 sets of Bridgestones of that era go that way. Shouldn't be an issue as it stands but I'd keep an eye on it, mine quite quickly went downhill from there.

Don
Would you replace these tyres? Week 51 2018 Michelin PSS, lots of tread.
However, note the cracking..

ySophC4.jpeg

hjKde7Y.png

Depends how much use they are going to get?

If you are going to get through the tread depth in a reasonable time e.g. <6 months then no I would keep

If they are an occasional car e.g. weekend car then probably worth replacing

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Thanks for the feedback. It's on an M2 and I noticed on the test drive that they'll happily spin in 1st and 2nd in the dry.
Now is that because they're become brittle over time, or because they're Pilot Super Sports :p

Associate
Hi,

I have a query regarding the wheel alignment. I got all 4 wheels balanced at ATS Euromaster last month.
It so happens that I noticed this morning that they have swapped odd tyres on each axle, meaning put one of the rears at the front and vice versa. I didn't realize it quickly because they are all the same make but a different model. Whenever the tyres are up for a change, I get them done on each side of the axle. The rears are up 20k miles and the fronts are at 9k miles.
Hence the request to have them swapped back.

Have let them know and got booked in to have them swapped as they were before over the weekend. Hopefully, I won't be charged for this as it is their mistake.
My query is, will I have to do the wheel balancing again considering the weight difference at the front because of the engine?

Thanks,
LowEndTorque

Man of Honour
Hi,

I have a query regarding the wheel alignment. I got all 4 wheels balanced at ATS Euromaster last month.
It so happens that I noticed this morning that they have swapped odd tyres on each axle, meaning put one of the rears at the front and vice versa. I didn't realize it quickly because they are all the same make but a different model. Whenever the tyres are up for a change, I get them done on each side of the axle. The rears are up 20k miles and the fronts are at 9k miles.

Have let them know and got booked in to have them swapped as they were before over the weekend. Hopefully, I won't be charged for this as it is their mistake.
My query is, will I have to do the wheel balancing again considering the weight difference at the front because of the engine?

Thanks,
LowEndTorque
No, balancing is based on the wheel not attached to the car.

Associate
Hi,

Thanks,
LowEndTorque
Continuing on the above. Went to the local ATS and they swapped the tyres as before without charging me any fees. Although they did mention that if you swap the rear to the front it needs to be rebalanced, however of you are putting the fronts to the back it doesn't need to be.

While swapping the front to the rear they noticed a screw in the tyre. The puncture was repaired, but weirdly the tyre never lost any pressure.
As a safe measure I got two new tyres fitted today on the rear axle as they were at 20k miles. Had enough tread about 5mm, but I do motorway miles every week hence the decision to replace them citing the puncture repair. I would have replaced them in 4-5 months down the line anyway.

So two new Autogreen Smart Chaser SC1s - 215/55/R16 97W XL rated, for my 59 plate Mondeo.

Edit: I did ask National Tyres, why one tyre is first week of January 2024 (0124) and the other a late 2022 (4322), but was told it does not make any difference. I didn't argue or debate it, however felt that it was little uncool to put such an old stock on one side.

Images of the screw in tyre below.

Last edited:
Associate
Put the new Yokohama AD09 semi-slicks on the rear of my M2c recently and really impressed with them so far. They are even grippier than PS4s and won't kill you in the wet either!

Man of Honour
Put the new Yokohama AD09 semi-slicks on the rear of my M2c recently and really impressed with them so far. They are even grippier than PS4s and won't kill you in the wet either!
Wait until it's wet and cold. It's not a tyre I'd be using on a road car personally.

Back
Top Bottom