Unreal Tournament news on the horizon!

Soldato
I hope the guys who did Ballistic Weapons do it for this one, that mut was some awesome fun. Hope you don't need a gamespy account (or any accounts) like you did in UT3.

Associate
You missed one it was 99 > Q3 > 2003 > 2004 ppl forget about 2003 ;0

UT better than Q3? hmm I always remember playing Q3 since the .demo came out, it was way more fun atleast I spent way more time playing Q3 online than UT.

UT for me was just good singleplayer and at lan's, back then 56k modem meant that Q3 online was just better online, where UT online was pretty bad with the netcode. It really meant that unless you had faster internet or were playing at LAN it was only good with bots.

I'm tied on which was really better though, technically UT for sure, though both had great mods, third party maps, I enjoyed playing both in the end. UT soundtrack was definitely better than Q3 overall. And Q2 soundtrack was better than Q3.

UT2k3 was forgettable after UT2k4 came out and lived on past all the other craap that came out from Epic and ID afterwards.

Can only hope it Epic get back to making a good PC game, not some consolized No like UT3

Man of Honour
Unreal engine had the better rendering tech but idtech3 did a lot of other stuff better in regards to game mechanics and "netcode". Q2 and Unreal are tied music wise for me - both very good in their respective ways, I was quite dissapointed by the music in Q3 though its not really what you played that game for.

Associate
I'm in a definite minority here:
I bought the original UT on release and loved it.
Then UT2003 and UT2004 came a long, still great games, but couldn't quite reach the heights of the first one.
When UT3 was released, I disliked it. Over the years I installed and de-installed it several times, always searching for that UT-something the previous games had. Finally it clicked: it took me years to realise that UT3 actually is the best and most fun of the lot (although my experience in all these games is limited to single player). I love it now, especially with all the original UT1999 remade maps, it's fantastic. UT3 rules!!!
Meaning that I couldn't be more excited at this news, I have the highest hopes for this.

Associate
always searching for that UT-something the previous games had. Finally it clicked: it took me years to realise that UT3 actually is the best and most fun of the lot (although my experience in all these games is limited to single player).

I really think its just because there is nothing better anymore that doesn't feel outdated that you feel it rules.

And I did similar thing hating UT3 on release, installing it months/years later, its not the same. The music soundtrack is total garbage, the gameplay is chunky and its just so dumbed in its interface design.. I mean I could go on slamming it, to me ut2k4 is better game to install again competitively its still got a few keys maps that are played. UT3 was a disappointment that I could not forget.

Man of Honour
Q2 and 3 never not had on my HDD(s), Q1 comes and goes mostly just the odd run through some of the SP now and again when I feel like it.

Not really had any of the unreal games installed for awhile though did install the original awhile back to run through some of the epic SP maps like bluff eversmoking and sunspire.

Associate
It would be nice to see another UT game, I'd agree with everybody here that it needs to go back to it's roots. UT99 has always been the best in series for me, the orginal just had such a good atmosphere and feel to it, I have the soundtrack sitting on my phone as well :p

They need to bring the Ripper back as well, I loved that gun.

I've always thought of UT99 and Q3 being pretty equal. For pure deathmatch and fast action Q3 wins every time, but UT99 evens it out by being a much better team game with more variety. I've always kept them both installed and visit them every now and again, I seem to get worse and worse every time I play though :D

Soldato
Unreal Tournament had some jaw dropping maps

Facing Worlds CTF was one of those 'wow' moments in Multiplayer for me and classics like Deck 16

Q3 I loved playing The Longest Yard

Back
Top Bottom