Upgrade Advice

Associate
Hi all,
I have recently upgraded a few of my PC parts and have been considering upgrading the rest. The following are what I have upgraded:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600
RAM - Corsair VENGEANCE LPX DDR4 RAM 16GB 3200MHz
Motherboard - MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Motherboard M-ATX
I am looking to upgrade my PC case first as I am using an old Lian Li case. I am not 100% sure if I should upgrade the GPU however, as it is a GTX 1070, but I am considering it.
Knowing that I might upgrade the GPU and have a M-ATX motherboard, what case should I buy? I'd ideally like a budget, smaller one, but make sure that it could fit an RTX 3060 for example, as the larger the case, the less leg space I get and I don't want to be spending too much money on one.
Many Thanks.

Man of Honour
Hi.

What is your budget for upgrades ?

What resolution you gaming at if that's your main use ?

Sure a smaller case is easy to sort .

Do you like RGB ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd say my budget is around £50, but this can vary.
I mainly play on 1920x1080 HD resolution.
RGB would be nice, but if not I don't mind.

Man of Honour
I'd say my budget is around £50, but this can vary.
RGB would be nice, but if not I don't mind.

Man of Honour
I am looking to upgrade my PC case first as I am using an old Lian Li case.
An old Lian Li case is likely to be superior to a budget micro-atx case.

I am not 100% sure if I should upgrade the GPU however, as it is a GTX 1070, but I am considering it.
A GTX 1070 is fine for most games at 1080p, but it can struggle with some of the newer ones. It depends on your needs really.

According to TPU's database, a 3060 12GB is 37% faster. If it was me, I'd want more than that. You can get a 7700 XT for just over £400 and that is 122% faster or a 7900 GRE for over £500 and that is 196% faster.

Associate
OP
11-112-099-22.jpg
Why do you say that the Lian Li case will be better? The photo attached is the case that I currently own but just in better condition.

It is the Lian Li PC-7B but mine has a dvd tray instead of the top rectangle.

Regarding the GPU, I wouldn’t really like to be spending that much, but if it is the better option I will. Is it worth upgrading from my current GPU to a GTX 1080 Ti for example, or should I aim for something more powerful.
I play a mix of games including Valorant, which my PC currently runs very well. Fortnite, Helldivers 2 and I’m also looking to play some slightly more graphic intensive games. My monitors refresh rate is 180Hz so there is no point in getting a GPU that can give me more FPS than that. What do you think?

Man of Honour
11-112-099-22.jpg
Why do you say that the Lian Li case will be better? The photo attached is the case that I currently own but just in better condition.

It is the Lian Li PC-7B but mine has a dvd tray instead of the top rectangle.

Regarding the GPU, I wouldn’t really like to be spending that much, but if it is the better option I will. Is it worth upgrading from my current GPU to a GTX 1080 Ti for example, or should I aim for something more powerful.
I play a mix of games including Valorant, which my PC currently runs very well. Fortnite, Helldivers 2 and I’m also looking to play some slightly more graphic intensive games. My monitors refresh rate is 180Hz so there is no point in getting a GPU that can give me more FPS than that. What do you think?
I think @Tetras means build quality.

As for your old case the MSI 100r I recommend above will have far superior air flow because of the design and Fans.

A 1080ti is equivalent performance to a 3060 which would rule it out unless you get a bargain.

You should consider how much more performance you want and if your prepared to pay , you have upgrade figures above but it's not just FPS if you prefer graphics intense games.

Caporegime
I am looking to upgrade my PC case first as I am using an old Lian Li case. I am not 100% sure if I should upgrade the GPU however, as it is a GTX 1070, but I am considering it.

Are you suffering temperature issues with your current case? Is it noisy? What's the issue that makes you want to replace it.

The big difference with modern cases is that they tend to have clear front panel airflow since it's no longer normal to stuff DVD and HDDs, etc. in the top half of the case at the front. You'll also find support for water cooling radiators and the like. If you don't need that stuff there's no reason to upgrade your case.

Man of Honour
The reason it is expensive is because of two things: 1. 1080 Ti was one of the best cards nvidia produced (in terms of longevity and how much performance it offered) and 2. since the crypto boom GPU prices have been permanently higher and the performance offered has stagnated (you have to pay for a tier higher, to get the same performance that you used to).

If you spend £300, for example, it is barely worth bothering because you're buying into the kind of performance you already have.

Associate
OP
I’ll consider whether or not I should upgrade the GPU then if I am paying more for a performance increase. I am mainly looking for FPS because I am a competitive gamer, in the higher ranks of most games.

The reason for upgrading the case is because of the airflow. My CPU’s temperature averages around 75-90°C which causes my fans to work overtime, the fans are also quite noisy so I wanted better cooling, hence the airflow. So I will most likely buy the M100R case and then consider the GPU whether I am happy or not regarding the performance.

Man of Honour
The reason for upgrading the case is because of the airflow. My CPU’s temperature averages around 75-90°C which causes my fans to work overtime, the fans are also quite noisy so I wanted better cooling, hence the airflow. So I will most likely buy the M100R case and then consider the GPU whether I am happy or not regarding the performance.
When you're gaming? What cooler are you using? The 5600 shouldn't be hard to cool at all, even with a case that has poor airflow.

Associate
OP
I’m using the fan that came with it. The PC might need a clean though, I think it may also be a bit dusty which is also probably contributing to the temperature. It’s when i’m gaming, the CPU’s temperature is completely fine when i’m not

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I’m using the fan that came with it. The PC might need a clean though, I think it may also be a bit dusty which is also probably contributing to the temperature. It’s when i’m gaming, the CPU’s temperature is completely fine when i’m not
Upgrading the stock cooler with a decent tower cooler like the peerless assassin would get you much better temps than replacing the case, in my opinion.

Associate
OP
I’ll think about it, but I honestly would rather just take the case, as the current one has had issues with putting the graphics card in and I’m worried about putting a new one in if i upgrade since the last one I had to cut one of the brackets off to fit in my GPU.

Associate
I’ll think about it, but I honestly would rather just take the case, as the current one has had issues with putting the graphics card in and I’m worried about putting a new one in if i upgrade since the last one I had to cut one of the brackets off to fit in my GPU.
You really should think on new CPU cooler but you can always see how things go with a case swap first. If you do both, you'll likely find it is all good.

Associate
OP
I just did a check and it wasn't as bad as I thought. The highest it actually got to was 87 degrees and averaged around 84. It was bad the other day because the radiator was turned on next to it. I've turned it off now though. I'll buy the case and then see how it goes.
Is there anything else that I should buy, except the graphics card, that could give me a performance boost? Are there any tweaks that I should make in my bios?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom