• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading 4090 to 5090 - minimising upgrade cost.

Associate
I ended up receiving my payment for the 4090 and have bought a 7900xtx :)

I'm happy with timing of my switch, anything from 5-7 months to wait, and I had £1300 in mind for the lowest price I wanted to part with it for, any more of a loss would have felt like a serious burn having owned it for only 10 months.
Bought it brand new for 1879.99, after all. For those who got their 4090's for 1500-1600 or even 2nd hand, then you probably lack the urgency I had to sell it :)

Team AMD for the first time :p

Soldato
I ended up receiving my payment for the 4090 and have bought a 7900xtx :)

I'm happy with timing of my switch, anything from 5-7 months to wait, and I had £1300 in mind for the lowest price I wanted to part with it for, any more of a loss would have felt like a serious burn having owned it for only 10 months.
Bought it brand new for 1879.99, after all. For those who got their 4090's for 1500-1600 or even 2nd hand, then you probably lack the urgency I had to sell it :)

Team AMD for the first time :p
Not sure that will prove sound business as the 7900XTX will probably be going to £500 used next gen while the 4090 going for nearly 1k.

Soldato
Easyrider used to call this the Easy shuffle and back in the day it was legit. These days you don't have a clue what price range the card you are aiming for will come in at. You in theory get max price for your card selling it before the release of the new gen so have more to put into the new card. Personally I just use my card until its no longer powerful enough for my needs.

Man of Honour
I've found having two PC's negates most of the cost when upgrading as you can just swap GPU's into the slower PC and sell the two gen back card but you're alway going to lose out on these BIGBOY cards no matter what you do for me Sim Racing is my hobby and hobbies cost lots of money and once you have all the gear Sim Racing is relatively "cheap"

Associate
I tend to sell my systems a few months before a new gen arrives and then start afresh. It helps me justify the cost of any upgrades.

But recently I’ve been more tempted to just re-purpose the rig and put it in a spare bedroom.

Soldato
If you can afford a 4090 then you're not be concerned for buying a 5090. Only those with deep pockets and don't care about money, have a 4090 and therefore will just get a 5090 anyway as they can afford it.
It's definitely a mindset as well as having enough money. My son buys very expensive clothes and 2 weeks into the month needs a loan of money where as i could buy a 4090 every month and still have plenty to live on. I guess if i was Richer than i am i would maybe do it but i just think the 4090 along with most cards are a rip off so choose not to. I can also get credit cards with 0% interest for 18 months and pay in up in smaller amounts but as i say i don't like buying expensive stuff that i don't need. Those that play games like Cyberpunk and want to see full path tracing and every other effect are more likely to take the plunge. Most people who are Rich got there because they don't chuck money down the drain where as i like to see money in my bank in case i really need it. Peace of mind and not wanting to support what i see as company's taking the ****. Would i love a 4090 yea i would but i don't need one as my 7900xt does what i need and even then it's the most i ever spent. When buying the 7900xt it seemed a lesser evil compared to what else was on the market and old Vega 64 was on it's knees so was a forced purchase.

Last edited:
Associate
It's definitely a mindset as well as having enough money. My son buys very expensive clothes and 2 weeks into the month needs a loan of money where as i could buy a 4090 every month and still have plenty to live on. I guess if i was Richer than i am i would maybe do it but i just think the 4090 along with most cards are a rip off so choose not to. I can also get credit cards with 0% interest for 18 months and pay in up in smaller amounts but as i say i don't like buying expensive stuff that i don't need. Those that play games like Cyberpunk and want to see full path tracing and every other effect are more likely to take the plunge. Most people who are Rich got there because they don't chuck money down the drain where as i like to see money in my bank in case i really need it. Peace of mind and not wanting to support what i see as company's taking the ****. Would i love a 4090 yea i would but i don't need one as my 7900xt does what i need and even then it's the most i ever spent. When buying the 7900xt it seemed a lesser evil compared to what else was on the market and old Vega 64 was on it's knees so was a forced purchase.
i spend a lot of my time at my pc and i dont drink/smoke so i have some disposable income which gets invested in the one thing i actually do which is gaming :)

Back
Top Bottom