• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading 4090 to 5090 - minimising upgrade cost.

Soldato
I look at them posts as
'I could buy a new 4090 every month, but I won't because my other half won't let me '

That Sounds more like it :cry:
Yep there is definite truth to that in my case. It still wouldn't be hard to buy one for most in here if that was the priority for excess cash. I prefer an easy life so let my wife have her fun shopping. There is most likely a lot of people in here with a lot more money than me that don't see the worth in a 4090 and some with less than me that have one.

I mean Kaapstad said he never had a lot of money and was buying 4 Titans every gen until they got rid of Sli. That's nuts to me but that was his priority after his bills I assume.

Man of Honour
I'm loving all the 'I could buy a new 4090 every month, but I won't' posts. If I had that sort of spare cash I definitely would, and be playing CP2077 non-stop, not posting on the forums like this. Still I can't wait to pick up a 2nd hand 4090 for £700. A founders would be nice, any of you money bags decide to sell - hit me up

Different people, different choices. I have spare money because I'm a tightwad (and lucky). Being a tightwad, I'm not going to spend £1500+ on a graphics card even though I could and not care about the money. I don't place all that much value on pretty graphics anyway. Maybe my age has something to do with it - when I started gaming home computers were monochrome text only.

I couldn't buy a 4090 every month, but I could buy one every 3 months. Maybe every 2 months if I scrimped for it. But what's the point? I'd feel like a mug if I bought one, let alone repeatedly. I wouldn't pay £700 for a second hand graphics card, either. I wouldn't pay half that for a second hand graphics card.

And nvidia doesn't care. The gaming market is trivial to them. So they're just fishing for whales.

Associate
I could also get a 5090 (would be 2 months leisure money) but I’d rather spend it on the kids for their clubs/sports etc and put a bit away for a rainy day. Plus the missis would guilt trip me if I spent over £500 on a gpu citing “you’re only playing games not doing anything productive- why do you need a 4090 or whatever!?? “

So the only way I can get a high end card is basically once the kids are independent adults. :(

Soldato
I am really trying to talk myself out of wanting a 5090 but i know i will cave in and order one, even though i really don't need it. Since getting back into PC gaming i have been all over the place with GPUs. I started with a 3090, downgraded because i didn't need it...upgraded to a 3080..upgraded to a 4090...downgraded to a 3070, upgraded to a 4080 and then i finally settled on a 4090. I hardly make use of my 4090 but i know i will want to upgrade :o I really need to learn how to resist shiny/the bestest things!

Back
Top Bottom