UPS for router

Associate
We’re having some electrical work done in our house which means the power is off and on for a few weeks.

Both me and my wife work from home most days so I’m looking for something to keep the WiFi on.

I have a Vodaphone router in modem only mode going into a Uniquiti Cloud Key and then off to 3 access points.

I need something that can power them for a few hours.

Ideally nothing too expensive, complicated or OTT as it’s not for permanent use.

I have no idea what I’m looking for so would appreciate some help please!

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Mike

Associate
I brought a Eaton 3SM36B for my router only was about £50 and with claims up to 90 mins depending on load. It lasted just over 2 and 1/4 hours for a single router it has 4 barrel adaptors to go straight into the router. I did consider a Cyberpower BR1200ELCD has 6 plug outputs and is about £160 for a single router should last quite a while given a typical router would be between 4-6W This mode sugggests at 60W output around 80 min run time.

Associate
I'm not sure if I'm checking the right items, but it looks like from a quick search, the UniFi Cloud Key uses up to 13W (max, which is what we should take, because if it's too much, we have left over spare), and I don't know if there's any different routers from Vodafone, I would expect so, but the ones I can find online are suggesting roughly 20W to 30W. So assuming both of these devices are in proximity to each other, you'll need a UPS or battery system that can provide at least 50W (13W Cloud Key + possibly 30W router) per hour you intend for it to last.

I can't believe any access points would use less than 5W each, so that's another 15W. They'll need to be individually powered if they're not close to the main grouping of equipment. So if you can work closer by to the equipment to access the network/internet, you can then not purchase any further equipment to keep the other access points active; only needing to keep the main group of network equipment alive instead.

Be aware that UPS typically have a power/time ratio that on raising/lowering one value, the other typically goes in the opposite direction proportionally (so needing double the power; 100W instead of 50W, means you reduce the time it can remain powered by the UPS by half). However, right at the very extremes (ultra low power or extreme power needed), this falls off and is no longer relational in that manner anymore.

I recently had a thread on something similar this, where I needed to keep up to around 30W of equipment alive, in case the national grid did reinstate and intialise the rolling blackout thing. So for my parents place I had to grab a UPS of some kind that could keep the communications equipment (internet and VOIP phone) alive (in case mobile connections get swamped). And the UPS I got (Cyberpower 1500VA/900W) has been tested and confirmed to power the devices for a little over 3 hours (just enough for the rolling blackout plans). But this UPS and other heavy battery time UPS tend to be on the more expensive side; looking at £280+ at least for a new one. Although in the case of an actual UPS over a battery backup, you could use it afterwards to keep NAS or electrical devices (main gaming rig, TV, etc) from being impacted by any sudden outages also.

Associate
OP
Thanks both.

I forgot I also have a network switch which I’ll need to factor in. If I can keep it at or around £100 I’ll be happy. I could also just have the vodaphone router doing the WiFi too; that way I’ve only got to power that rather than everything else too.

Associate
If you can turn the WiFi back on and power off any devices you don't need to by doing so, you basically save a lot on powering devices needed and how long any power backup can last for. Each satelite access point dotted around the residence will also need its own power supply basically, so that's extra cost that can be mitigated by working closer to the router and its WiFi connection.

The only concern is that online reports have the Vodafone routers at up to 30W use. Which might be a bit much for the smaller battery ups like the Eaton 3S Mini's, as the model that Shoeyuk posted would officially from their graphs only last 30 odd minutes or less with 30W power draw.

How long an outage time are you expecting and needing a UPS to cover? And will it be intermittent (going out every so often over a period of time)? Or it's flat out gone for x amount of time? As this would dictate what options you have available to go for.

:: edit ::
Are you able to post the model of your router? See if we can't find actual info on it. Would help give more accurate esitmates then.

Last edited:
Associate
If an alternative is required, have you also thought about grabbing a mobile data connection for use during the outtage period? At that point you only need to keep the connecting hotspot/share device powered and thus it might be easier to do. Although this will of course need to meet requirements you need as well (might need secure connection you can't get from mobile, etc) and whether you can get a decent mobile connection in your area for data.

Associate
OP
The router is a THG3000, which is 12v 2.5A so 30W?

If I could get 3 hours out of it, then that would be great. But in reality it’ll probably be 20-30 mins a few times a day.

I did have a mobile data usb stick thing when we first moved in and it was painful; we get at best 1 or 2 bars of 3G, so it’s not workable really.

Associate

If I could get 3 hours out of it, then that would be great. But in reality it’ll probably be 20-30 mins a few times a day.

I did have a mobile data usb stick thing when we first moved in and it was painful; we get at best 1 or 2 bars of 3G, so it’s not workable really.

That's a shame about the mobile option, as that would have likely saved you a lot of hassle.

Well, the good news is that THG3000 has been measured to use as little as 12-15W for typical use and possibly even less, so the 30W is basically worst case scenario but hopefully isn't what yours is running at (since it also needs to be fully loaded out and running everything to get to that number).

In theory, those mini UPS could power your router in a pinch with those power outage time estimates. But the issue is you'd need to potentially switch them out for another one if they can't recharge in time before the net outage happens. And the swapping itself would also lead to an outage, so this method (multiple smaller UPS units) is probably not ideal. You probably want a single larger UPS unit that can handle that entire period no matter how many times it goes down for.

Whilst something like APC and Cyberpower UPS are out of your price range, a quick look around on the rainforest sees a Powerwalker UPS model that offers 2200VA/1200W, which should be plenty for your use case, and is a little over £100 right now, but less than £150. You will need to source your own IEC to Power Distribution Unit for standard plugs, but that should (in theory) cover you for your 3 hours (if not more).

Be warned though, that these larger units are heavier (6-8KG or more) and so when the time comes when it's no longer able to work, removal might be an issue (needs to be recycled properly and of course, it's size and weight might be troublesome for some to move).

Looking into some of the reviews for the Powerwalker UPS models however, suggest there might be some troubles with it; fan stays on, etc. And some others saying it's not a proper battery backed up UPS. Will look into it further. Hopefully someone can recommend something in the mean time. But yeah, one large unit sounds like the route you really need to go unless if those power outages has enough time in between to recharge each depleted UPS battery (usually takes a fair while).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That's a shame about the mobile option, as that would have likely saved you a lot of hassle.

Well, the good news is that THG3000 has been measured to use as little as 12-15W for typical use and possibly even less, so the 30W is basically worst case scenario but hopefully isn't what yours is running at (since it also needs to be fully loaded out and running everything to get to that number).

In theory, those mini UPS could power your router in a pinch with those power outage time estimates. But the issue is you'd need to potentially switch them out for another one if they can't recharge in time before the net outage happens. And the swapping itself would also lead to an outage, so this method (multiple smaller UPS units) is probably not ideal. You probably want a single larger UPS unit that can handle that entire period no matter how many times it goes down for.

Whilst something like APC and Cyberpower UPS are out of your price range, a quick look around on the rainforest sees a Powerwalker UPS model that offers 2200VA/1200W, which should be plenty for your use case, and is a little over £100 right now, but less than £150. You will need to source your own IEC to Power Distribution Unit for standard plugs, but that should (in theory) cover you for your 3 hours (if not more).

Be warned though, that these larger units are heavier (6-8KG or more) and so when the time comes when it's no longer able to work, removal might be an issue (needs to be recycled properly and of course, it's size and weight might be troublesome for some to move).

Looking into some of the reviews for the Powerwalker UPS models however, suggest there might be some troubles with it; fan stays on, etc. And some others saying it's not a proper battery backed up UPS. Will look into it further. Hopefully someone can recommend something in the mean time. But yeah, one large unit sounds like the route you really need to go unless if those power outages has enough time in between to recharge each depleted UPS battery (usually takes a fair while).
Thanks so much for your replies; it’s appreciated. I’m looking at the

CyberPower BR1000ELCD​

as somewhere in between a larger unit and the smaller ones. It’s 600W/ 1000VA so hopefully should do a decent amount of time of just the router. Sound reasonable to you?

Associate
Thanks so much for your replies; it’s appreciated. I’m looking at the

CyberPower BR1000ELCD​

as somewhere in between a larger unit and the smaller ones. It’s 600W/ 1000VA so hopefully should do a decent amount of time of just the router. Sound reasonable to you?
Looking at that ones power graph, it looks like it's nominal time of 60 minutes for 60W of power draw +- 10%. And because you no longer get the same ratio after the graphs they give you, if you really are only pulling 15W, I would imagine for that 1/4 drop in pull, you'd probably get x2 the up time from it. And it'll try to recharge once power is on, so you might be able to get 3+ hours from that if the outage each time isn't too long, or at least get close enough to it.

Also, that one has 3 sockets that are battery backed up, those ones are the ones you want to plug your router into. The other 3 are surge protected, so don't use those except for anything you just need power for but can turn off suddenly if the power goes out. Anything that needs to stay on during any power irregularities, make sure to place onto the battery backed up side.

Associate
OP
Looking at that ones power graph, it looks like it's nominal time of 60 minutes for 60W of power draw +- 10%. And because you no longer get the same ratio after the graphs they give you, if you really are only pulling 15W, I would imagine for that 1/4 drop in pull, you'd probably get x2 the up time from it. And it'll try to recharge once power is on, so you might be able to get 3+ hours from that if the outage each time isn't too long, or at least get close enough to it.

Also, that one has 3 sockets that are battery backed up, those ones are the ones you want to plug your router into. The other 3 are surge protected, so don't use those except for anything you just need power for but can turn off suddenly if the power goes out. Anything that needs to stay on during any power irregularities, make sure to place onto the battery backed up side.
Perfect thanks.

I didn’t realise that about the plugs, so very good to know.

I’ve ordered one for next day delivery. Will report back!

Soldato

Not to derail your thread, you mentioned putting your router into modem only more - is that just an option on the GUI to toggle it? I've got an old Vodafone router that I don't think can be placed in modem only mode, only on a rolling contract with voda now so could upgrade and secure a new router. Looking to basically use a USG gateway I've just acquired.

Associate
OP
Not to derail your thread, you mentioned putting your router into modem only more - is that just an option on the GUI to toggle it? I've got an old Vodafone router that I don't think can be placed in modem only mode, only on a rolling contract with voda now so could upgrade and secure a new router. Looking to basically use a USG gateway I've just acquired.

I checked and I havent actually put it into modem only mode, I thought I had but I've just connected the cloudkey over ethernet and moved all my wifi connected things over to the new network. You can turn off the wifi, but I don't think you can set it up as modem only mode.

I should say that I really do not understand wifi / networks etc and never have so the above setup might be stupid!

I got the ubiquiti bits in preparation for getting full fibre, which I am having installed in a couple of weeks through Gigaclear. The guy I spoke to said you can put their router into modem only mode.

Associate
OP
The UPS arrived next day and I charged it for a few hours before setting it up with just the Vodaphone router plugged in so at least I can set up key components (just work laptops really) to run off that WiFi.

Today the electrician turned off the power a few times and it worked perfectly. At some point I’m going to plug the modem, router, Ethernet switch and ancillary items up l, cut the power and see how long it lasts.

All good so far.

Associate
Most excellent. :)

Yeah, if you have the time (electrician not working a few days because weekend etc) it's always good to know exactly how far your UPS can manage in case you need to change the loadout or when everything is all done and dusted you move it to other devices.

Although you might not be able to plug all those devices in and have them powered (Again, only 3 sockets have battery backup). Definitely modem, router and switch, but ancillary items would go beyond that limit.

Associate
OP
Most excellent. :)

Yeah, if you have the time (electrician not working a few days because weekend etc) it's always good to know exactly how far your UPS can manage in case you need to change the loadout or when everything is all done and dusted you move it to other devices.

Although you might not be able to plug all those devices in and have them powered (Again, only 3 sockets have battery backup). Definitely modem, router and switch, but ancillary items would go beyond that limit.
Would plugging a multi plug adapter into one of the battery back up plugs work? Or is it just one item per socket?

Associate
Would plugging a multi plug adapter into one of the battery back up plugs work? Or is it just one item per socket?
That will probably depend on what you are adding. I can't see anything in the manual that says not to, however you will need to stay below the maximum overall current the device can supply to a given socket and you should check your specific manual just in case.

The manual that I found doesn't say a per socket limit but you will need all devices to be less than 13A in total for the plug in the wall anyway. I would also try to have an exact number of sockets available to the devices you need, group the smallest loads on to a multiway and blank off any unused sockets if you are approaching 13A.

Do you have a list of all the loads you plan to attach, their maximum current draw values and if there are any on the 3 that don't function as a UPS, can you mark out which ones they will be?

Back
Top Bottom