Vauxhall Astra 1.6 2005 reg engine problems

Soldato
Is it 3 or 5 door? you could sell it privately for a good bit more than your quotes!

It's still false economy though, but if you've a burning desire to get rid of it what people write here won't really change your mind :)

Associate
OP
After what people here are saying I've reconsidered and I'm trying to get multiple quotes for the work. Sort of expecting it to be £400-500 though to fix it all assuming there's nothing else needing done that get discovered in the service like brakes etc.

Just out of interest when should a cambelt be checked as it is still on it's original as far as I'm aware and it's at 60k approx miles now? Don't know if these are checked during services, could ask I guess.

As for the car was looking on autotrader, and it seems Astras of the same age and spec but higher mileage get about £2500-3500 there, mostly if not all trade advertisements though. Granted mine has a fair few scrapes, scratches and at least one dent but still going by those values maybe I would be better off getting it fixed. No point in me asking peoples opinions here if I don't at least consider what's being said to me :p.

Associate
OP
Just thought I'd update this, got the car repaired in the end at an independent garage which seem good. Cost just over £200 in all, for the coilpacks / spark plugs, service and the other niggling issues including boot fixed.

A lot cheaper than anywhere else seemed to be suggesting.

Glad I didn't flog the car now, a lot cheaper than trying to upgrade car (which would probably have been a downsizing) and even if I do change car I can probably flog it for more than I was being offered now :).

Soldato
Just thought I'd update this, got the car repaired in the end at an independent garage which seem good. Cost just over £200 in all, for the coilpacks / spark plugs, service and the other niggling issues including boot fixed.

A lot cheaper than anywhere else seemed to be suggesting.

Glad I didn't flog the car now, a lot cheaper than trying to upgrade car (which would probably have been a downsizing) and even if I do change car I can probably flog it for more than I was being offered now :).

Woohoo finally :D Well done on not selling :p

Back
Top Bottom