Vintage Cassette / FM tuner

Soldato
got a couple of vintage items off ebay, a Tuner and a Cassette Deck. i dont plan to add anything else. the cassette will record some tapes direct from a PC line out.

im hoping these will do the job for my requirements? i have liimited space and these will fit either side of the units.

Soldato
Issue with tape decks is they're very mechanical items, rubber bands etc easily start perishing by now, timing will be off etc. Maybe minidisc is another alternative?

You'll use line input on the speakers. Also you could try using tape loop, that way you can monitor the recording to the tape/minidisc (monitor recording level etc)
On a AVR or regular amp you'll use the tape in/out feature, with record/listen function. Not sure how you'd get yours working in similar fashinon, perhaps line 1 source direct to the PC, and line 2 is PC second line out (if you can do that) into tape deck then onto speakers?

Soldato
OP
Issue with tape decks is they're very mechanical items, rubber bands etc easily start perishing by now, timing will be off etc. Maybe minidisc is another alternative?

You'll use line input on the speakers. Also you could try using tape loop, that way you can monitor the recording to the tape/minidisc (monitor recording level etc)
On a AVR or regular amp you'll use the tape in/out feature, with record/listen function. Not sure how you'd get yours working in similar fashinon, perhaps line 1 source direct to the PC, and line 2 is PC second line out (if you can do that) into tape deck then onto speakers?

Already installed working fine. the Cassette deck was refurbished with belts replaced fully tested and cleaned.. I have the Tape Deck and Tuner plugged into the RCA inputs on the speakers and the line out from PC into the Line in on tape deck. works fine, as soon as you start recording the tape deck plays the recorded output as well (but only while recording). PC also plays direct to the speakers over bluetooth

Soldato
That is a Yamaha tape deck, that will be good quality.

I have some Pioneer decks from early 90's, they are digital timing controlled.

Tape can sound remarkably good, you need a good source, and setting the dubbing level up correct, there was also huge quality difference in tapes and tape decks.

The disadvantage with tape is the hassle of setting everything up, and making the recording, however there is something special about just pressing play on the tape deck, and picking up where the hi-fi was previously switched off.

*Edit, in your video your dubbing level looks to low, the meter should be higher, and glancing just under the red led's. The TDK tape your using is good quality for a normal position tape. General rule, chrome tapes can go .5db more, metal tapes 1db more. That said chrome tapes were not much difference than metal, and even good quality normal position tapes like that TDK, or Maxell can sound very good.

Last edited:
Soldato
Shame regarding licensing with Dolby, new tape decks can't have it.

Oh would recommend using desktop speaker stands, raise them speakers.

I never recorded with dolby, as it removed to much of the audio.

Back in the day I recorded with chrome & metal tapes, and if you set the dubbing level correct, I only noticed the background noise on the space between tracks, and that was only really specifically listening for it.

Agreed on the stands.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That is a Yamaha tape deck, that will be good quality.

I have some Pioneer decks from early 90's, they are digital timing controlled.

Tape can sound remarkably good, you need a good source, and setting the dubbing level up correct, there was also huge quality difference in tapes and tape decks.

The disadvantage with tape is the hassle of setting everything up, and making the recording, however there is something special about just pressing play on the tape deck, and picking up where the hi-fi was previously switched off.

*Edit, in your video your dubbing level looks to low, the meter should be higher, and glancing just under the red led's. The TDK tape your using is good quality for a normal position tape. General rule, chrome tapes can go .5db more, metal tapes 1db more. That said chrome tapes were not much difference than metal, and even good quality normal position tapes like that TDK, or Maxell can sound very good.

i just left the levels in the middle, i can mess about with adjusting them.

Soldato
i just left the levels in the middle, i can mess about with adjusting them.

When your recording, you listen back via the tape output, and you can monitor where the dubbing level should be. Basically you set the recording level just below the point you hear the audio distort from the top of the dynamic range clipping.

By setting the recording level as high as possible without clipping, you maximise dynamic range and you reduce the most noise.

Last edited:
Soldato
When your recording, you listen back via the tape output, and you can monitor where the dubbing level should be. Basically you set the recording level just below the point you hear the audio distort from the top of the dynamic range clipping.

By setting the recording level as high as possible without clipping, you maximise dynamic range and you reduce the most noise.

Tape loops are being phased out my stereo amp has them but avrs I think lack them

Soldato
OP
I went to to use the tuner module this morning, and no sound :( the display is on and searches channels, and the signal LED is lit, but no sound, (speakers are fine as new) any ideas , or is this likley some failure at capacitor level

Back
Top Bottom