Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
It’s from Amazon. If it’s no good for what you want, send it back. The challenge is that it runs OpenWRT and there are MANY versions and drivers etc. are being constantly updated. Most of the negative reviews seem to revolve around people loading up the WireGuard server with clients (9+) and the router can’t handle that sort of load. I’ve also seen people running bleeding edge drivers complaining about the 2.4GHz performance. I’ve got one running away quite happily in a granny flat and it’s fine. It’s basically a big open-source community thing.

Last edited:
Associate
There's a lot of marketing nonsense and paid for reviews when it comes to Asus.
Watch a minute of this and try not to cringe.

Also @RobTi if you look at any product long enough you will see problems. The difference here is gl inet are atleast holding their hands up and saying "yeah we messed up let us try and fix the problems". With other manufacturers you wouldn't see anything.

Last edited:
Associate
It’s from Amazon. If it’s no good for what you want, send it back. The challenge is that it runs OpenWRT and there are MANY versions and drivers etc. are being constantly updated. Most of the negative reviews seem to revolve around people loading up the WireGuard server with clients (9+) and the router can’t handle that sort of load. I’ve also seen people running bleeding edge drivers complaining about the 2.4GHz performance. I’ve got one running away quite happily in a granny flat and it’s fine. It’s basically a big open-source community thing.
Thanks ordered

Associate
To my surprise, didn't receive a follow up retention call after the first one; they must have changed their retention process in the last 18 months.

In the end; the wife has signed up in her name; current contract ends on the 10thth April with new contract in hers starting on the 11th.

There was a £61 cashback offer with £50 bill credit via a comparison sight.

Ordered the M500 package, volted to 1gig @ £33 a month, which works out just under £26 a month with the cash back & bill credit.
What is ridiculous is that i will have to return my current router whilst they dispatch a new one..

Unsure how seamless the switch will be but i will be sure to let those interested know!
I could be without internet for a day but thankfully able to tether on 5G for a while if push comes to shove.
Did this dance awhile ago, the renewal cost was just insane, ended up signing up as a new customer m500 + volt + upload addon so I got 1000/1000 for £39 which I'm ok with tbh.

Associate
Wow.

Asus response to this? Just make the affected routers EOL and don't patch anything. :cry:

Extra info: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-end-of-life-announced-by-asus.89314/

Some of the routers only got 1.5 years of "support" before being made EOL.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Wow.

Asus response to this? Just make the affected routers EOL and don't patch anything. :cry:

Extra info: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-end-of-life-announced-by-asus.89314/

Some of the routers only got 1.5 years of "support" before being made EOL.

"The researchers do not specify the exact method used to breach the ASUS routers"

RT-AC68U is 10-11 years old.

Soldato
Interesting. Never heard of that brand before but it looks like it has what I wanted which is basically 2.5Gb in and out, wifi 6. Not sure what it's performance over WiFi is though. Went with the Asus as it's reviewed and tested well.

Other than your condescending nature, your post was helpful.
As I mentioned a while back it might be a bit early to recommend the GL-MT6000 (Flint2) as many people are still having problems with 2.4Ghz, which I'm thinking should be sorted in due course. My colleague is one of those with the Flint2 and he has many devices that use 2.4Ghz, like his CCTV cameras, central heating thermostat, printers etc. so he is finding it a bit frustrating at the moment. (Check the GL.Inet Flint2 forums for more details)

I think I will pick one up and test it out and see how it compares as it is a good bit of kit with good hardware (though the firmware seems to be holding it back at the moment) and the proof of the pudding is in the eating - not just what people tell you.

Soldato
To my surprise, didn't receive a follow up retention call after the first one; they must have changed their retention process in the last 18 months.

In the end; the wife has signed up in her name; current contract ends on the 10thth April with new contract in hers starting on the 11th......

No, I had the same thing happen several years ago and never got a retention call and ended up doing the same as you, having to put it in the missus name then go the cashback route. Though I did get a retentions call last year from which I was able to get the decent deal I'm on now.

It's just the luck of the draw it seems; you get it more often than not but are not guaranteed to.

Associate
No, I had the same thing happen several years ago and never got a retention call and ended up doing the same as you, having to put it in the missus name then go the cashback route. Though I did get a retentions call last year from which I was able to get the decent deal I'm on now.

It's just the luck of the draw it seems; you get it more often than not but are not guaranteed to.
What was the deal? recently they have been so bad it seems. £78 for 1 gig etc, where as I got it for £33 (m500 volted)

Soldato
As I mentioned a while back it might be a bit early to recommend the GL-MT6000 (Flint2) as many people are still having problems with 2.4Ghz, which I'm thinking should be sorted in due course. My colleague is one of those with the Flint2 and he has many devices that use 2.4Ghz, like his CCTV cameras, central heating thermostat, printers etc. so he is finding it a bit frustrating at the moment. (Check the GL.Inet Flint2 forums for more details)

I think I will pick one up and test it out and see how it compares as it is a good bit of kit with good hardware (though the firmware seems to be holding it back at the moment) and the proof of the pudding is in the eating - not just what people tell you.

The only people having issues with 2.4GHz are running public SSIDs and WireGuard Servers which is hardly a normal use-case. I’ve got one in a ‘home’ environment and it’s completely stable. Ironically, the Flint 2 uses the same MediaTek chipset as several ASUS routers and the Ubiquiti U6-LR access point, so it’s reasonable to assume they would suffer from the same bugs seeing as the bugs are actually in the MediaTek drivers, not the Flint 2 firmware per se, because that’s a collection of open source routines (OpenWRT) which is considered one of the most stable on the planet unless you grab a development firmware.

And unless I’m missing something there have been no confirmed bugs reported in 2024?

Soldato
The only people having issues with 2.4GHz are running public SSIDs and WireGuard Servers which is hardly a normal use-case. I’ve got one in a ‘home’ environment and it’s completely stable. Ironically, the Flint 2 uses the same MediaTek chipset as several ASUS routers and the Ubiquiti U6-LR access point, so it’s reasonable to assume they would suffer from the same bugs seeing as the bugs are actually in the MediaTek drivers, not the Flint 2 firmware per se, because that’s a collection of open source routines (OpenWRT) which is considered one of the most stable on the planet unless you grab a development firmware.

And unless I’m missing something there have been no confirmed bugs reported in 2024?

What firmware are you currently using?

Soldato
What was the deal? recently they have been so bad it seems. £78 for 1 gig etc, where as I got it for £33 (m500 volted)
I got what used to be called the Ultimate Oomph not sure what it is called now but it was I believe the highest package with 1Gb BB, Sky Sports, TNT Sport, Cinema, Kids etc, Netflix, 2 boxes, Phone w/ free evenings and weekends. for £48 /month.

I was lucky last time around but most likely won't be at the end of this contract. :)

Soldato
No idea, I haven’t touched it since late January when I installed it. I’ll start a new thread for this. This one is supposed to be about Virgin Media.
Well as quite a few people look to change their Virgin Super Hub often because of the poorer WiFi then it does have some bearing.

This was the reason my colleague got the Flint2 and he is not what I'd consider an advanced user like yourself but he's still having issues with 2.4Ghz so it will be interesting to see what 2.4Ghz devices your using with yours and what firmware you're on.

Last edited:
Soldato

Not to diminish the issue with the Flint2’s 2.4Ghz performance - I believe it’s an upstream WRT issue and a fix is coming - and new buyers should be made aware of the current issue, especially if someone is recommending it here, but given it’s an enthusiast class product, it’s not that unusual for people to have separated routing, switching and wireless at this point. Obviously it’s sold as an AIO device and needs to perform as one.

Soldato
Well as quite a few people look to change their Virgin Super Hub often because of the poorer WiFi then it does have some bearing.

This was the reason my colleague got the Flint2 and he is not what I'd consider an advanced user like yourself but he's still having issues with 2.4Ghz so it will be interesting to see what 2.4Ghz devices your using with yours and what firmware you're on.

I think you have to define ‘poor WiFi’ on the SuperHub 5 because literally WiFi isn’t something that can magically be made better. I keep telling the story of how I do FOC support for pensioners in the south Norfolk area and they ALL complain of poor WiFi until I bring the router or access point out from behind the TV or drawer they have hidden it away behind or under. And the old lady complains because it ruins her display of knitted kitten toys. So I fit an old UniFi UAP-AC-lite to their ceiling and magically everything gets better. Who knew?

My understanding is that the 2.4GHz WLAN issue is a MediaTek problem but that it works fine under most circumstances. The old couple I installed the Flint 2 with don’t have a huge amount of technology. A couple if smart TVs and a set-top box are hard wired and they have a Dahua IMOU doorbell setup that is 2.4GHz and their phones and iPads will probably connect on 5GHz.

If you post in the new GL.Inet thread we can discuss/diagnose it there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did this dance awhile ago, the renewal cost was just insane, ended up signing up as a new customer m500 + volt + upload addon so I got 1000/1000 for £39 which I'm ok with tbh.
Is that £39 including the cost of the sim? if so thats very good.

I currently have £29 plus sim cost which totals at about £43 month, my automated retentions offer is £36 plus sim, but unclear if it includes a April 2024 rise.

My sister recently upgraded them to gig1 for a total cost (not using volt) of £55.

Soldato
Is that £39 including the cost of the sim? if so thats very good.

I currently have £29 plus sim cost which totals at about £43 month, my automated retentions offer is £36 plus sim, but unclear if it includes a April 2024 rise.

My sister recently upgraded them to gig1 for a total cost (not using volt) of £55.

My contract was ending end of April I took the offer and it said no price rise till 2025

Soldato
How long do you have to wait after you cancel to then sign up as a new customer? I thought it was a few months? Or did you use another name for the new account? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom