Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Have a look on the back of a white SH3, pilot area is Manchester IIRC - I worked in the industry and still keep in touch with friends who work for several service providers in different capacities.

Have a look on the back of a white SH3 - you'll soon see exactly what I'm talking about. Pilot area is Manchester IIRC it's been happening since last year but afaik it's not gone beyond closed staff testing. I worked in the industry and still keep in touch with friends who work for several service providers in different capacities.

i can't say much but i have a sh3 and i'm on the test panel, i haven't heard anything about it

Soldato
My Superhub 2ac came yesterday and I set it up etc, the speed hasn't got close to 200mb yet (wired or wireless, the best I've had is 146). Also the wifi seems to be having lag spikes for ~3 seconds every couple of minutes. Any idea what could be causing that? I've got it in 5ghz, I tried 2.4 which also did the same, and I've switched over to go through a different channel. I know WiFi isn't as good as wired, but I need it to be stable. Online gaming with constant lag spikes is pretty horrific.

Soldato
i can't say much but i have a sh3 and i'm on the test panel, i haven't heard anything about it

I used to have to do UAT for ICOMS/CableMaster as well as upgrade testing etc. Getting up on the day new code rolled and having to test etc was always fun, but not as bad as having to come in at stupid o'clock or on Sundays to test system upgrades were functional on the live database before all hell broke loose on Monday.

My understanding is that the pilot is small and region specific atm (pretty sure I was told Manchester), but lets be honest the long term goal has to be that POTS is antiquated and expensive so moving everything to IP makes sense. COSAR liability would be controlled from the ISP side and it's less regulated so the obligations are lower having spent many, many hours with OFCOM (as was) auditors.

Soldato
Just looking into taking them up on the upgrade from 152Mbps to 200Mbps.

I see that I'm required to book an engineer to install the new Super Hub, what exactly do they do? Is it not a simple case of swapping my hub over to the new one?

Currently getting: -

5077114228.png

We had two Virgin engineers in the office to swap over our old router to a new hub. It was a nightmare, they were useless. I had to complain for weeks to get my £50 back.

Soldato
My Superhub 2ac came yesterday and I set it up etc, the speed hasn't got close to 200mb yet (wired or wireless, the best I've had is 146). Also the wifi seems to be having lag spikes for ~3 seconds every couple of minutes. Any idea what could be causing that? I've got it in 5ghz, I tried 2.4 which also did the same, and I've switched over to go through a different channel. I know WiFi isn't as good as wired, but I need it to be stable. Online gaming with constant lag spikes is pretty horrific.

What was the speed like before your upgrade to 200mb?, close to 152mb?
If your not getting near 200mb on wired that its a problem with virgin, more than likely a oversubscribed area!.

Although when i upgraded i was getting 200mb daytime but during peak hours it was dropping to 100/120.
Saw a man working on my cabinet the other day and since then peak time speeds have also been 200 so im afraid its hit and miss what the problem is.
(should have kept quiet!, just done a speed check and back down to 140!).

Wouldnt bother asking on the virgin support forums they always come out with the same answers.

Last edited:
Soldato
What was the speed like before your upgrade to 200mb?, close to 152mb?
If your not getting near 200mb on wired that its a problem with virgin, more than likely a oversubscribed area!.

Although when i upgraded i was getting 200mb daytime but during peak hours it was dropping to 100/120.
Saw a man working on my cabinet the other day and since then peak time speeds have also been 200 so im afraid its hit and miss what the problem is.
(should have kept quiet!, just done a speed check and back down to 140!).

Wouldnt bother asking on the virgin support forums they always come out with the same answers.

Well I just moved in to this house, it was still on 30mb before that! So no idea what the limit of the line was before. But tbh, I'm not bothered about not getting to 200mb yet, since I have constant disconnects on games - Much bigger issue, and I'm certain it's due to the Router, not the line.

Edit: Just messed around on the laptop which was wired, and seemed to get similar results to WiFi, also this evening I've been streaming wirelessly from my NAS drive with no issues, whereas WoW is disconnecting every 20 mins and having lag spikes every couple of mins, so I guess it is down to the line. :/

Last edited:
Soldato
I finally got in touch with a friend who is having the same issues with speed and instability, but he doesn't do any online gaming so didn't notice the constant dropping out/lag spikes. I guess I'll phone VM today when I've finished work

Soldato
I finally got in touch with a friend who is having the same issues with speed and instability, but he doesn't do any online gaming so didn't notice the constant dropping out/lag spikes. I guess I'll phone VM today when I've finished work

Try a speediest in safe mode wired direct into router and maybe try doing the same wireless as well.

I always do this first just to narrow the problem down.

Soldato
guys, i need to rent out my flat for 4 months before moving into it myself. Obviously i'll need a basic broadband connection in place for these four months.

When i move in though i want a superfast 200meg one and possibly a sports tv package.

My question is: if i signed up for virgin media now with their cheapest broadband only package - how easy would it be four months down the line to upgrade to a much better package? Would I lose out on the half price for 6 months offers that they have in place...if so it's probably not worth it...

Soldato
Try a speediest in safe mode wired direct into router and maybe try doing the same wireless as well.

I always do this first just to narrow the problem down.

I couldn't use the PC wired, but I tried the laptop wired and that was stable, but slow in the evenings, but considering I got full speed in the middle of the night, I figure this is due to over subscription to the line. My main issue atm is even in the middle of the night, the likes of WoW and Diablo are disconnecting constantly - Wired and wireless. Everything else is working though, when they disconnect I often have Twitch on the go, or streaming from my NAS - Both of which carry on with no issues.

Soldato
Any new install caries a new contract for those services that are installed - technically you would be eligible for new bundle offers at the time but it depends on how bothered the sales person is.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I'm paying £33 for 100mb just broadband without phone, tv etc. I've been with VM for 4 years now, if not 5. Not sure if I should try to get that price down? Is anyone else on here just on the 100mb broadband?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I'll do that tomorrow, any way of getting a newer superhub? :p Could say that the WiFi signal is really bad from it? (Tbh I wouldn't be lying lol)

Last edited:
Soldato
After an outage I rang and queried about my line speeds as I never seem to achieve 200meg down. They are sending me a new superhub 3 and an engineer next week as down stream power seems high.

Anyone using the new hub 3? Didn't know there was a hub 3 until I Googled it. Phone support suggested new hub might sort it.

Hope the new hub or techeck visit sorts it.

Back
Top Bottom