Virtual Desktop Vs Steam Link

Underboss
Tried Steam link tonight on only one game (Automobilista 2)

The difference to me :

VD) runs no problems, but i think the game tears, but graphics are sharp

SL) Tearing effect has gone, but less sharp

Game performance graphics are set to Ultra (I've tried High and tried Ultra tonight on SL to see if the sharpness would improve)

any idea if i could improve things?

Last edited:
Associate
I've only had a Quest 3 about 10 days. I've tried it in 2x PC's (3090 and 4090) and not seen any tearing at all. I couldn't get it as sharp as say a Reverb G2, but could get it looking very playable without much latency.
I'd try running VD set to Godlike v264+ and 400Mbps, and lower the game graphic MSAA settings down a touch. Godlike encodes 3120x3120 rather than the 2600x2600 which ultra encodes.
What SteamVR resolution are you running?

Last edited:
Soldato
You need to enable VD performance overlay and check things are ok....then run fpsvr and check gpu/cpu.

Set shadows and reflections to off or as low as they will go. MSAA is a big factor as mentioned above but will introduce shimmering if you haven't the gpu for it.

If you really want to push the absolute max graphics on the 3090, you are going to have to get stuck into openxr toolkit with opencomposite. That will give you +10% boost straight away.

Underboss
OP
ok , just tried WIRED for comparison
that's defiantly the sharpest tool in the box so far, but sadly i get no sound in the headset (tried changing it in windows settings to each of them, nothing) so i would have to use the soundcard which is doable i suppose

i will try VD again (ill try wired first) and take shadows off and see if there's any difference

Soldato
ok , just tried WIRED for comparison
that's defiantly the sharpest tool in the box so far, but sadly i get no sound in the headset (tried changing it in windows settings to each of them, nothing) so i would have to use the soundcard which is doable i suppose

i will try VD again (ill try wired first) and take shadows off and see if there's any difference

You have to choose oculus audio device I think in the sound output settings (click on the sound icon in the bottom right of taskbar).

Underboss
OP
There was not that option in the windows, settings, sound

I tried about 5 different sound sources none of them worked unfortunately

Wireless says virtual device
But I haven't got that same option via wired iirc, I'd have to check though

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom