Voter ID comedy

Soldato
48 and doesn't have a driving license or passport to use instead?

I believe the veterans ID is new so wasn't on the official list, will be sorted for next time. Sounds reasonable.

Also most people's polling stations are within a 5-10 minute walk of their home address. I'm sure he could have easily made his way home and got an accepted form of ID.

Soldato
Boris is a tit. :D

More annoying ID antics, veteran ID not valid:

Shock as non-valid form of ID isn't accepted.
Are people outraged that a bus pass isn't acceptable either or is it just because he's a veteran.

Why not introduce a government app you can use to vote along with postal would surely cover most people.

Last edited:
Soldato
Weird that postal vote declaration form think that nobody between 18-24 does PV as the DOB you fill in is DD MM 19YY. It’s certainly the case for my last two PVs

Wondering if anyone writes 20 above the 19, your vote is invalid as written outside the boxes.

That's what we thought as well but I guess as they know who you are they'll send you relevant form.

Soldato
That's what we thought as well but I guess as they know who you are they'll send you relevant form.
Even at polling stations they put your voting slip number by the list of registered voters when they cross your name off when you visited.

The parties that I voted for I get mail shots from those parties and my friend who votes for a different party has the same too

Associate
Honestly......

Why are there no ID cards in the UK?

That soldier story just sounds like an emotional clutch at straws yarn.

There are some chronic backwards things still in the UK and USA..

Labour (Blunkett) tried to start introducing voluntry ones after 9/11. Then May became PM and cancelled all of it.

The government said the move will save £86m over four years and avoid £800m in costs over the next 10 years that would have been raised by increased charges. An allied decision to cancel the next generation of biometric fingerprint passports will save a further £134m over four years. Savings to the public under the whole package will total £1bn

The deputy prime minister, Nick Clegg, said: "The wasteful, bureaucratic and intrusive ID card system represents everything that has been wrong with government in recent years."

And even some trade unions:

Brendan Barber of the TUC also welcomed the decision: "Scrapping identity cards is an important sign that the new government is committed to safeguarding civil liberties.

"With public spending under close scrutiny, identity cards were a costly folly that would have done nothing in reality to assist the fight against terrorism and would have been an unwelcome intrusion into people's personal liberty, with a likely disproportionate impact on black and ethnic minority citizens," he said.

So basically everyone aside from Labour at the time were opposed to it.

Amusing how much information we give to government and private companies these days yet having one card apparently breaches "civil liberties". In this day and age it's a nonsense, just introduce one (so long as it doesn't cost billions.. which it will if the Tories are involved, but then again they'd never introduce one).

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd go one further and link your ID to your address. When you move house you don't have to remember to tell dozens of companies where you're going, just update the central database once and anybody that needs to know will know.

Back
Top Bottom