VP Force Rhino - FFB Joystick

Soldato
Not sure if there's a better section for this but I thought some people here would appreciate this...

Any sim racer is going to tell you that there's no point buying a steering wheel without it having Force Feedback, but that hasn't been an option in the flight sim space for some time (I THINK this is because of some patents)

Regardless, the open source community has been working on this for a LONG time, and slowly but surely there's been a bunch of dedicated people that have finally put it all together.

One of the standout players in this space has been a guy that goes by Walmis. He's finally put it all together in the form of an open source design with some freely available software that he then funds by selling kits, and fully built units via his discord: https://vpforcecontrols.com/

I received my unit before Christmas and finally got an opportunity to use it over the break - and it's a bit of a game changer!

Think Microsoft FFB Joystick on steroids :D

From left to right...
VP Force Rhino
Winwing Super Libra
Microsoft Force Feedback

5hh80sS.jpg

This thing is a beast - I've not been paying attention a couple of times and this thing just rips right out of my grip if you crank it to 11 :cool:

Moving away from my original MS FFB joystick to a "good" joystick base that was the Winwing Super Libra always had compromises. Yes, I could use it with nice grips, yes it worked better in my ramshackle wooden cockpit, but it always lacked that tactile feedback.

The Rhino solves that. One of the best features for me has got to be the "dynamic centre". This works great for trimming aircraft like the F14 or Apache where the centre of the joystick position can move. The feeling of adding trim to ACTUALLY remove tension from the joystick is exactly as it works in the real world and it works great with this joystick - just like it does with the MS FFB but I can add my specific grip.

On top of that you've then got all your "effects" via VP Force Telemetry. This is a custom piece of software that runs alongside your game that can pick up certain actions/situations and add rumbles and effects that the game might not have natively in it's own FFB implementation. It's a nice touch in DCS because the FFB is done "per aircraft" - so the F14 works great out the box without this, but the F18 for example really benefits from it.

So yeah, current wait times for the motors and circuit boards he's created are about a month I think... full kits are 12months lead time :cry:

And if you can't wait... go build your own!

Last edited:
Soldato
Microsoft sidewinder force feed back = patent issues MS lost the case

the whole set up looks good. do you have 3 mini displays as well? in those square cut outs.

that does look a beast though, solid and just right for the sim community. im just thinking of all those helicopter pilots in multiplayer games using these and being ice cold flying around and shooting stuff or being super pilots and pointing out targets to onboard infantry to target and shoot.

i still have my MS FFB and drag it out every ones in a while. there solid and still good even now.

Soldato
OP
No screens currently as I exclusively play in VR so not a necessity.

Yeah, for heli flying it really is a game changer. The MSFFB is amazing on its own but you’re limited by the number of buttons, especially in the Apache

MSFFB for old warbirds though - I’ve been using it since my dad bought it on the day it was released and its never missed a beat (apart from the dark ages when Windows 8, I think, buggered a bunch of compatibility with it!)

I originally found out about the Rhino while investigating how to put a custom joystick on a MSFFB actually!

Associate
my waiting list time is nearing its end :) so crunch time before they send me an invoice

I had a couple of questions if you don't mind @RoyMi6 ?

1. What was the all-in price in the end once you factor in shipping and import taxes?
2. Are there any after market covers for those external cog components?
3. Obviously this solution is ideal for heli's and jets with FFB support, but what about space sims would you still use the Rhino for that?
4. How would this work with the classic goose neck extension you find on heli's and centre stick jets... would it have to sit on the floor due to the height of the base?
5. What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swal... oh nvm I can look that up ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
my waiting list time is nearing its end :) so crunch time before they send me an invoice

I had a couple of questions if you don't mind?

1. What was the all-in price in the end once you factor in shipping and import taxes?
3. Obviously this solution is ideal for heli's and jets with FFB support, but what about space sims would you still use the Rhino for that?
4. How would this work with the classic goose neck extension you find on heli's and centre stick jets... would it have to sit on the floor due to the height of the base?
5. What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swal... oh nvm I can look that up ;)
Is that an African or European

Soldato
OP

I had a couple of questions if you don't mind @RoyMi6 ?

1) I think shipping was free actually. Tally up your cost here http://order.vpforce.eu/ and add on 20% for your Tax if you get stuck for import duties (like I did)

2) Yes https://discord.com/channels/965234441511383080/1169287017268531225

3) 100%. Apart from the fact it would be a massive pain for me to swap out with another joystick, it’s an amazing “simple” joystick base as well. Everything else is crap in comparison :D

4) Very likely yes. It appears the one marmite thing with this might be the height of the unit itself making it a little awkward for some people’s setups. But yeah, plenty of people with gooseneck extensions. Check the discord.

5) Not sure, but it appears there’s a paper written on the subject! https://link.springer.com/article/10.3758/s13423-023-02331-0

Associate
3) 100%. Apart from the fact it would be a massive pain for me to swap out with another joystick, it’s an amazing “simple” joystick base as well. Everything else is crap in comparison :D
well I have a Virpil Mongoose CM3 base which is hardly crap ;) I can of course re-use it as a left stick HOSAS base, but yeah I take your point hence my question you don't really want to be swapping out bases between sims

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
well I have a Virpil Mongoose CM3 base which is hardly crap ;) I can of course re-use it as a left stick HOSAS base, but yeah I take your point hence my question you don't really want to be swapping out bases between sims
Well... once you go FFB it's hard to go back. If it uses cams and springs, it's crap now :cool:

Why do you think people are going down the FFB rudder pedal route as well :D
YlivqnR.png

Soldato
OP
Well its on order and paid for now, looking forward to try it out soon hopefully.

Did it take long for you Roy once you'd paid for it?
Ehhh 2 or 3 weeks I think.

Roy, got any links for what's going on there? looks like a super easy mod

https://discord.com/channels/965234441511383080/965234441511383083/1169301199430881280 - not quite final yet.

Walmis, the developer of the Rhino, is the progress of making this as a kit, so selling the 3D printed parts, motor and the VPForce FFB board that he made (I think the same one that goes in the Rhino DIY kit)

Soldato
the link didnt seem to work for me, but may be thats because ive not joined the group/channel.
do they do anything to protect against items getting trapped in the gear/belt? my brain tells me that should be on the opposite side for safetey...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
the link didnt seem to work for me, but may be thats because ive not joined the group/channel.
do they do anything to protect against items getting trapped in the gear/belt? my brain tells me that should be on the opposite side for safetey...
Yeah you will do. And there’s custom prints to cover the gear and belt.

Soldato
Ehhh 2 or 3 weeks I think.

https://discord.com/channels/965234441511383080/965234441511383083/1169301199430881280 - not quite final yet.

Walmis, the developer of the Rhino, is the progress of making this as a kit, so selling the 3D printed parts, motor and the VPForce FFB board that he made (I think the same one that goes in the Rhino DIY kit)

Ah ok, need to look into that - the hardware side is simple… always the electronics and programming that makes me delay such projects.

Soldato
OP
Just a heads up that pretty much everything you pointed to as "not 3D printed" (cogs, input mounting plates, fan cover) is, in fact, 3D printed :D

You had a chance to hook it all up yet?

Associate
Just a heads up that pretty much everything you pointed to as "not 3D printed" (cogs, input mounting plates, fan cover) is, in fact, 3D printed :D

You had a chance to hook it all up yet?
I've got it mounted now, I'll have a play with it this afternoon.

I've ordered some smaller extension parts as well to try along with the physical limiters its going to require some experimentation to get right...

Back
Top Bottom