VR desktop software

Associate
Really pumped to start using my Rift for virtual desktop, seeing as how I couldn't afford both that and a nice 34 inch Ultra-Widescreen monitor too.

I told my partner to expect to lose me on a daily basis now when I go to 'work'...in space! :D or underwater, on top of a mountain...

Definitely my first VR app purchase. Has anyone used something like this before for a long period of time and could comment?

Soldato
It looks really interesting when you see it in a video, but will be interesting to see how well it works in reality with the current resolutions on headsets. As the Rift's optics are slightly better, this is a good reason for me to keep both orders, where I want/need greater detail.

Soldato
SteamVR is offering something similar for free I think, but not sure how limited or otherwise it is?

This paid app lets you also watch videos as well doesnt it? Does it create a virtual cinema environment?

Soldato
SteamVR is offering something similar for free I think, but not sure how limited or otherwise it is?

This paid app lets you also watch videos as well doesnt it? Does it create a virtual cinema environment?

Among other things yes. The video is pretty good at covering what it can do, and it appears to be quite a bit.

Soldato
struggling thinking about this. he says if you have multiple desktops you will see them all together.

This suggests it isn't capable of fooling the OS into it being a widescreen display, I pretty much want to make a desktop size of my choosing....not still be required to buy more screens.

Caporegime
struggling thinking about this. he says if you have multiple desktops you will see them all together.

This suggests it isn't capable of fooling the OS into it being a widescreen display, I pretty much want to make a desktop size of my choosing....not still be required to buy more screens.

Exactly what i was thinking, seems rather limiting.

Don
This app used to be free when it was in beta and one of the limitations was that it still showed your desktop as it was on your desk. Ie, if you have a single 16:9 screen, that is what it showed you. If you had 3 screens, again that is what it showed you.

It looks like they've been unable to overcome that limitation.

All it does is map your desktop as a texture to a 3D object in VR space.

Associate
Really pumped to start using my Rift for virtual desktop, seeing as how I couldn't afford both that and a nice 34 inch Ultra-Widescreen monitor too.

I told my partner to expect to lose me on a daily basis now when I go to 'work'...in space! :D or underwater, on top of a mountain...

Definitely my first VR app purchase. Has anyone used something like this before for a long period of time and could comment?

That looks pretty sweet. What interests me most is the home cinema mode - if the headset can convincingly reproduce the feeling of having a huge cinema screen in front of you that that would be a killer draw for me.

Soldato
There are alternatives such as the Avegant Glyph which may do the media streaming better. However that's priced itself out of the running now for me since the pre-order discount has gone.

Anyway I'll most likely gives this a go when the HMD arrives.

Soldato
I am still unsure whether to go with the Vive or the Rift. However being able to virtualise my desktop and not having to deal with monitors is something that really interests me.

Like others have mentioned the fact that all it does is map your monitor setup is really disappointing. I was hoping to have say one monitor but then have three virtual monitors etc. :(

Soldato
Hopefully they can update it in the future to map additional virtual desktops like you'd have in W10 anyway into VR as well.

Soldato
There are options for extra VR displays without more monitors. There's the headless ghost, which is a small hdmi stick that emulates a display, and I've read you can also plug several cables from your graphics card to the same monitor.

You don't necessarily need to have more monitors, just trick windows into thinking you do :D

Soldato
Having tried it on a Vive now it's still a good bit of software but the demo appears to be based on the PC output before it goes to the headset and it's not that clear unfortunately. So get a demo if you can before you think you'll be watching all your media on the first gen HMDs.

I've not tried an Oculus but the screen door effect on the Vive is fairly obvious when streaming video in this sort of app so be warned.

Desktop resolution may be a factor so I'll try a lower res over the weekend.

Last edited:
Associate
I've only tried this using my DK2 and it was invaluable at times to get things working correctly.
I haven't looked at the price but anything that means less having to take off your headset for more mundane tasks is a good thing.

Soldato
Bought this yesterday and got a refund shortly afterwards, it's not as useful as I expected and while the cinema mode watching films was cool, the resolution and SDE are too much of a distraction for that type of experience.

Having said that, the actual virtual desktop looked and felt much better than Steam's own implementation.

Back
Top Bottom