Wanting Gnome Desktop

Associate
I've seen many screenshots from the Gnome desktop and i would really like to get this OS onto my Pc, now i'm currently downloading the LiveCD from the Gnome website but i'm unsure if this is the "actual" software i am after or just a sort of demo, i've tried searching for any distributers but i can't seem to find any, the website says that its a free Software so i'm a little confused to what exactly i am downloading and how i go about purchasing the actual software..

http://www.gnome.org/start/2.12/

Is the link where i have started downloading my torrent, any help on this would be much appreciated.

Caporegime
If you downloaded an iso you just burn the file to a CD using Nero or whatever.

The software is entirely free. No cost, and you can do what you like with the source code too.

You can't install it in Windows. Ubuntu is a whole other operating system. Sorry if I'm patronising you there, just got the feeling you might not be totally au fait with this.

Associate
OP
No need to appologise i'm a complete newb at anything other than windows, if i have an old version Suse already partitioned on my my hard drive, would that effect anything..

I downloaded a file hoping that it would have everything i needed and burnt the entire folder to a disc and rebooted, nothing happened so i read that i need to alter my Bios to be able to boot from disc, now i am unable to enter Windows and i'm forced to use my Suse, which is what i'm on now..

I'm redownloading a more "specific" iso thats:

http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/releases.ubuntu.com/5.10/ubuntu-5.10-install-i386.iso

So after i have installed this im going to burn it and reboot, hopefully this will work as reading commands and kernals and such things are starting to hurt my head.

Associate
OP
Ok so i've downloaded the correct and nearest ISO and burnt it to a new disc, for some reason my system doesnt pick it up and wont autorun' ive tried altering my BIOS so it will boot from the CD Drive but that doesnt seem to make any difference, any more help on this please ?

Soldato
It sounds like your not burning the CD properly, you cant just shove the image file on the CD.

In nero I think you click file > burn image to disc ? (at least that's what it is in CD BurnerXP Pro).

If your within SuSE run k3b from the run command option and click file > burn image to disc (or similar).

Back
Top Bottom