Warhammer chess set?

Soldato
Hi all I fancy picking up the paint brush again. Used to paint warhammer 40k figures back in my youth and got reasonably good at it and fancy doing some more.
I don't play the game, have no real interest in it but like the painting side and thought a chess set would be a good little hobby /project.

What to get though for chess? I was thinking Lord of the rings but choosing the pieces might be tricky.

Maybe space marines vs eldar? Or just 2 factions of marines, space wolf vs blood angels or whatever.

Any ideas on what to go for that has figures that could be good chess pieces?
Open to ideas really.

Soldato
Space Marines vs Orks would be classic. There was actually a video game essentially based on exactly this concept (with a few extras), called Regicide. (and I believe the game is also mentioned in some of the books, so is effectively 'in universe').

If you wanted something 'more similar' you go go Space Marines v Chaos Space Marines.

Soldato
OP
Thanks.. Space vs chaos might work well to keep the peices fairly similar..
Maybe a light grey space wolf side and a very dark grey chaos colour scheme to keep more inline with the more traditional black and white chess peices.

Soldato
If you can be bothered to go Terminators for one side, you could go Deathwing Dark Angels, they're bone white/cream primarily, and then do Black Legion Chaos, so you'd have white and black :)

That'd be very fitting - 1st Legion vs Chaos '1st Legion'.

deathwing-wal.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks, yeah I think that could work well.. Creme /ivory more natural vs very dark/ grey metallic more demonic /steam punk looking looking

Associate
Cool idea, would be great to play with.

Tyranids could work very easily also if that's your flavour. Many small models on offer for them that are very distinguishable. Daemons are also a good one, i think Eldar could be hard to pull off.

Chaos Marines only can just be marines with spikes and skulls.

Using banner carriers as the king could be cool, and the bigger character leader model for the queen. Or a Sisters of Battle model for a female look.

You also have Primaris now which are taller marines. And there's scouts or imperial guard for the pawns.

Do post pics when you get started!

Soldato
Some possible model suggestions if you DID go with Dark Angels (Deathwing) v Black Legion

Deathwing -
Pawns - Terminators
Bishops - Chaplain in Terminator
Knights - Ravenwing Biker or Deathwing Knight
Rooks - Librarian in Terminator OR Deathwing Knight (if you didn't use them as knights).
Queen - Deathwing Banner Bearer
King - Deathwing Commander

Chaos -
Pawns - Black Legion Space Marine
Bishops - Dark Apostle (or the cultists his model comes with)
Knights - Bloodletter Khornate Daemon or Chaos Marines with Jump Pack
Rooks - Chaos Sorcerer or Dark Apostle if not used as Bishop
Queen - Cypher or Chaos Terminator Lord or Aspiring Champion
King - Chaos Terminator Lord or Cypher

You could swap Cypher and the Chaos Lord around dependent on which model you wanted to be the king :)

Basically Dark Angels vs Fallen. VERY thematically appropriate and very visually distinct. The fallen are basically Dark Angels that fell to chaos during the Heresy. Some of them still alive; and no reason they wouldn't have joined the Black Legion.

Cypher has been seen fighting with both loyalists and chaos; and no one really knows his true allegiance, so perfect thematic Queen/King for the Chaos army and perfect justification for them to be fighting Deathwing Dark Angels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom