Was it worth a delid?

Associate
As title says. Video should give the info.

Boots up at 5.7 ring 5.3. i'm just too much of a chicken to run R23 with the voltage it sucks. I dont want to destroy it. At 5.5GHZ Max temp is 75ish but load vcore 1.4v. Would love to see the potential of this chip under LN2 but too late I guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends what your temps/clocks were before to determine if it was worth it.

Was effective on the 13th Gen with direct die cooling, 30+ degree reduction on all P-cores.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well You see I would have agreed delid is usually never worth it but i have decided to stick with this CPU for another 6 years or so. Also I VR DCS and MFS2020 which i belive make use of fast cores. Now i'm aware 12gen+ AMD Zen 5 will eat 10900k for breakfast but I just want to get the most for my money out of it performance and longevity. So prior to delid my temps were 75-80 degrees @ 5.3GHZ, However at 1.3ishv under load. Now it pull just shy of 1.3V in R23.

I want to run 5.5GHZ all core, however whats unusual is that under sustained load @ 5.3GHZ for about 15min of gaming (only happened in cyberpunk 2077) my computer will just turn off/restart with no warning. All temps GPU/CPU are more than fine. I kept the side cover off took off the grills upped the fans to max and the issue is gone. I wonder if VRM's have a max safe temp limit before the cause this shut down issue?I dont think Ram could cause this? It is set at 1.55V with timmings as tight as a ducks as*

Timmings as shown. I know people dont tend to use XTU to show timmings. These timmings were set in bios not in XTU. Also you can see the temps I had prior to delid. So a drop of 20ish degrees isn't too bad.

Last edited:
Associate
Delided my AMD ryzen and direct mounted, dropped 20 degrees, so yeah it was worth it. The process was super easy with the DeLid Mate. Would do it again.

Soldato
Do people tend to reuse the old lid with better TIM, or go for a direct mount solution? I liked the idea of reusing the lid as it gives a bit of protection, but not sure if you then sacrifice temp for it.

Associate
Do people tend to reuse the old lid with better TIM, or go for a direct mount solution? I liked the idea of reusing the lid as it gives a bit of protection, but not sure if you then sacrifice temp for it.
Its a tradeoff - you usually need dedicsted waterblock for bare die, so Id imagine most people reuse the IHS.

Associate
If you enjoyed it. It was worth it. All hardware will be obsolete in a few years. May as well have some fun with it
My only problem is losing warranty, but I must admit delidding was fun back in Intel 3 gen days. Bare die would be great for watercooling tho.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive got 3 and all of them de-lidded, I wouldnt change the water block or put the lid back on unless I was selling them, if you use the right tools, then theres nothing to sweat about, my 7900 non X took a long time to get the lid off, probably about 40 or 50 turns each way with the tool, I got bored and took to the drill for that one, my 7900X3D I could have probably of pulled the lid off by hand, only about 4 or 5 turns of the tool and it was off, its just a case of cleanup then, the solder is very soft and I just gently scraped it off with a guitar pick, you can use LM to get rid of the rest of the solder residue after that, the SMD's are already protected by some sort of hot glue type substance, and for a 15-20oC drop, yup it was well worth it, longer boosts, higher boosts, better F-Clocks.

Where Ryzen 7000 is concerned, the IHS is just ridiculously thick, and all because they wanted to keep compatibility with AM4 coolers, they should have just changed the lot, everything else changed, new motherboard, CPU and RAM required, what difference does it really make to require a new £50 cooler added to that lot, im sure most companies would have just come out with some sort of replacement bracket to make their coolers compatible anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom