Waterproof running jacket recommendations

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I run a few times a week and one of the biggest barriers right now is rain. I’m after some recommendations for a waterproof running jacket under £130 that is actually waterproof and yet breathable.

My research has landed me on this one so far.

Also bonus points for any other tips for running in the rain.

Soldato
May not be any help what so ever but just wear a tee. You’re gonna shower after anyway. Don’t see the point of wearing a waterproof jacket.

Tee in rain and snow. I tend to wear gloves when in the snow though as my hands go numb.

*edit*

I’d say the most important thing for running in the rain is waterproof trainers. I’m using on cloud runners. They’re great in the rain. I use to hate having wet feet from the puddles.

Last edited:
Soldato
As above. It’s difficult as anything decent isn’t generally very breathable. I’ve a Montane Via jacket and whilst it’s the best I’ve found. I only really wore it in <5c ran because otherwise I got too hot in it.

Also depends on distance. If only running for an hour then you’ll never get into a bad state really. Regardless of clothing.

Caporegime
I run a few times a week and one of the biggest barriers right now is rain. I’m after some recommendations for a waterproof running jacket under £130 that is actually waterproof and yet breathable.

My research has landed me on this one so far.

Also bonus points for any other tips for running in the rain.

Find it strange that it doesn't include the weight, breathability and waterproof rating - all quite important for a waterproof. NVM, found on the ronhill site, it actually looks a decent jacket.

I'm just about to buy one of these, for both hiking and running. Light, high breathablity, and waterproofness.

You can get it from the JP website for £115, if you're happy to wait on delivery.

May not be any help what so ever but just wear a tee. You’re gonna shower after anyway. Don’t see the point of wearing a waterproof jacket.

Tee in rain and snow. I tend to wear gloves when in the snow though as my hands go numb.

*edit*

I’d say the most important thing for running in the rain is waterproof trainers. I’m using on cloud runners. They’re great in the rain. I use to hate having wet feet from the puddles.

Dreadful advice. Running for hours whilst soaking and freezing cold is absolutely miserable. This is coming from someone who is quite happy to be miserable and cold too :)

Last edited:
Reactions: LiE
Caporegime

They also do the JP version that has no pit zips, which is lighter.

Not a running jacket, I just want something very light for both hikes and runs. Same as myself, but hoping to get to 50k by July.

Soldato
Dreadful advice. Running for hours whilst soaking and freezing cold is absolutely miserable. This is coming from someone who is quite happy to be miserable and cold too :)

Each to their own. Although I never run for hours, I’m a 5k/10k guy so that maybe the difference as well. Although even when i’m soaked right through and it’s stuck on skin tight i’m still not too bothered by it - might just be that it’s just not long enough.

Soldato
I have to say, I agree on his advice, but it's very much a personal thing.

If it's cold or wet I usually wear a decent base layer to trap some heat, but wearing any sort of waterproof and I sweat rivers and end up wet anyway.

I tend to dress light while running and carry a light fleece and coat in my hydration vest for any stops. Did this while marathon training last winter when it was chucking it down and it worked nicely.

All that said, I think it's will worth having a decent light waterproof, and it seems that most people are happy to run in them

Caporegime
Each to their own. Although I never run for hours, I’m a 5k/10k guy so that maybe the difference as well. Although even when i’m soaked right through and it’s stuck on skin tight i’m still not too bothered by it - might just be that it’s just not long enough.

I agree, a bit. But when it's under 5c and you're soaking wet there is very little less miserable. In the summertime, I'll happily run in a 'warm' shower.

If I'd ran through the rain this winter, with no jacket, I'd been soaked through and frozen. I'd rather be cold from some sweat than drenched.
I have to say, I agree on his advice, but it's very much a personal thing.

If it's cold or wet I usually wear a decent base layer to trap some heat, but wearing any sort of waterproof and I sweat rivers and end up wet anyway.

I tend to dress light while running and carry a light fleece and coat in my hydration vest for any stops. Did this while marathon training last winter when it was chucking it down and it worked nicely.

All that said, I think it's will worth having a decent light waterproof, and it seems that most people are happy to run in them

I only wear mine, if it's cold and wet (or some serious rain). There's a difference between some sweat wetness and freezing cold rain though, I don't mind a bit of sweat if it keeps me a good temp.

Soldato
I'm also going to throw this out there. It's windproof rather than waterproof but when it's been chucking it down i probably prefer it to my proper waterproof

Last edited:
Associate
I have the OMM Kamleika and can definitely recommend it, but I think you'll struggle to find it under £130.

Best I've found with very quick search is about £165 but I've never purchased from the site in question before - https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/kamleika-jacket/
Also have the OMM Kamleika. Its about as waterproof and breathable as your going to get. You will still get sweaty thought it can't remove at the same rate you produce sweat, especially when you pick up the pace. The material is good as its not too russely

There is a cheaper model that is around the £140 mark, it's a lighter weight one, without pockets.

Last edited:
Soldato
had been using a montane featherlite (just pit vents) for last 5+ years,
decided to go for a gore paklite since amazon have an offer currently, and it will be an amazon warranty;
amazon try to sell an accidental damage guarantee now, new too me - does that mean if I come off my bike, or trip runnning if i were ready to pay £10/year

Best I've found with very quick search is about £165 but I've never purchased from the site in question before - https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/kamleika-jacket/
OMM smock looks nice - would have been tempted, versus a full zip version , lower water ingress possibility , lower encomberence for cycle/run even ski or harness.

e: these https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/omm-halo-smock-running-jacket/

Last edited:
Soldato
gore packlite medium , although nicely constructed/light turned out too small for shoulders/thighs
- just 50cm across at top of thighs which wouldn't allow enough running leg articulation versus montane
32" waist usually wearing base+intermediate layer

53618031861_9c6c5680ce_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom