WEC 2024

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Not sure how popular it is on here, but quick reminder the first round of the WEC 2024 is starting tomorrow, with race on Saturday.
Qualifying is 12:50pm on Eurosport 2 on Friday.
First part of the race from 7:30am Saturday.
Looks like some great cars this year with the new regulations and changes.

Soldato
There's a hell of an entry list with both cars and drivers for this season. Very much looking forward to the opening race and seeing where everyone is following the BoP changes. Hopefully they've made a decent job of it!

ajf

ajf

Soldato
OP
Peugeot in the top 10 for the start :D
Like the fact they went down a different route last year, even if ultimately, it wasn’t quite as fast. Sadly more ‘normal’ car coming soon.
Only one Toyota in top 10 though. Still not sure what happened to the other one that made it so slow - relatively!

The Aston LMGT3 sound nice too!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Should be a great season if they can match the Toyotas. I had planned to do Spa this year but sadly I’ve a clash so I can’t attend. Was taking my dad and had booked my house down the road and everything but had to cancel it. Not Group C good due to the platform sharing but still good.

Associate
Shame balance of performance makes every result questionable. Porsche seem to have really benefited and Ferrari and especially Toyota lost out.

At least if Porsche are favoured you can still have a good few cars competing.

Man of Honour
Shame balance of performance makes every result questionable. Porsche seem to have really benefited and Ferrari and especially Toyota lost out.

At least if Porsche are favoured you can still have a good few cars competing.
Yea BOP is the only issue, never liked the concept

Last edited:
Soldato
The "tweaks" are often questionable.its always over done and robs performance from some too much, leading to this sort of race. Hopefully they manage to make a better job next time out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Missed the first round sadly. Massive fan of GT racing. I prefer the GTWC (GTWorld/SRO) coverage though as its lot more accessible.

I dont mind BoP, I get that its a bit controversial. Yes, they dont always get it right and I dont envy the person who has to formulate it. I feel over a longer term it balances out. Yes some get penalised more than others but I think it does more good than harm. Probably helps that I'm not biased towards any specific team.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
OP
Was all excited for Peugeot after that finish until it fell apart (the result, not the car!) :(
I think BOP makes sense in general but I dislike how it’s fiddled with right up to the race in some cases. It would be better to see something like the ‘success ballast’ the BTCC use I think.
IMSA version of WEC is next weekend. Should be able to stream it here:

Last edited:
Soldato
So after seeing Porsche with an outright win in both IMSA/WEC opening races, I wonder what BoP changes FIA will randomly make for the next race... Currently looks like it might not be a Porsche landslide for Sebring but can always craftily sandbag until the day.

In other news, rather surprised to see Ganassi and Cadillac are parting ways at the end of the season. Those thunderous machines would be a huge miss if another big name doesn't take them up.

Last edited:
Soldato
So after seeing Porsche with an outright win in both IMSA/WEC opening races, I wonder what BoP changes FIA will randomly make for the next race... Currently looks like it might not be a Porsche landslide for Sebring but can always craftily sandbag until the day.
Not really going there way so far. They've still managed to stay in the fight but I feel thats just down to the luck of the numerous FCY's looking very much hobbled and dosnt seem to right the bumps very well at all.

This track though... as much as I love it, its looking completely knackered. I get that the bumps are a large part of the character here. However its like they are racing on a ploughed field. Not just that though the whole place looks like a complete dump. Really could do with some investment. You could be mistaken for thinking all they have done since it opened in the 50's is repaint lines put up some billboards and cut the grass.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sebring does look very tired. Was thinking that the Cadillac rides the bumps very well but even through turn 1 it appears to be shaking itself to death. Whilst they're aiming to grow and build upon the new interest, they need to make sure the circuits are up to scratch.

Porsche have seemed to get some well timed FCY, but like you say it's not their day. Acura or Cadillac for the outright here.

Last edited:
Soldato
Certainly was! Can't believe the 7 is up at the front. Helped by the oil leak on the 10 and the 31 finding both a Ferrari and the barrier I guess! Been a hell of a race. Bring on these two hours.

Soldato
Looks epic. Has shown some great promise, particularly in poorer conditions. Although we see minimal running in such conditions and even less now we're getting more and more races in the middle of deserts.

Back
Top Bottom