Weeds in lawn

Associate
Anyone got good suggestions for how to easily get rid of lots of weeds in my lawn.
Don't want to use herbicides because of the kids.
And also, how short do you cut your grass. I tend to cut our lawn quite short and I wonder if that's letting the weeds get in and take over.

Last edited:
Soldato
The weeds will still get in regardless of the length of the grass.

Ultimately you can't stop them, so it's more about ongoing maintenance. You can get pet/child friendly weed killers. Even so I tend to zone off an area of the grass to focus on. That plus a good knife I find to dig around the weed and pluck them out - need to ensure you get the root otherwise it'll just grow back in a few weeks time.

Keep on top of them over the summer and you'll find less and less of them.

Associate
OP
The weeds will still get in regardless of the length of the grass.

Ultimately you can't stop them, so it's more about ongoing maintenance. You can get pet/child friendly weed killers. Even so I tend to zone off an area of the grass to focus on. That plus a good knife I find to dig around the weed and pluck them out - need to ensure you get the root otherwise it'll just grow back in a few weeks time.

Keep on top of them over the summer and you'll find less and less of them.
Thanks. I'll have a look for child friendly weed killers. Have just read @danlightbulb lawn recovery thread. Better get myself a scarifier, and more grass seed.
We live next to a field so lots of weeds around. I'm not after a perfect lawn, but just something a bit more grassy than we'vegot currently. Some bits are more weed than grass.

Soldato
I cant see how, people use selective weed killers because there is no easy way, they grow and spread like cancer even in terrible rocky soil that nothing else likes to grow in. You will find weeds there loving it

Last edited:
Associate
I have a Fiskar weed puller that pulls weeds out at the roots....quite therapeutic sniping weeds out of the grass well! It won't stop them coming back but it's been the best method I've found (so far).

Soldato
Just pull them out!

I have the same problem. I can't use chemicals because I have pets. I bought a cheap weed puller (cost £5. Get one with a really fine tip), and started one year pulling them up. The first year I probably went out a dozen times, pulling up weeds, but this has reduced now to less than an hour, once, in the spring, and a few more checks during the course of the year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom