Weird noise coming from Shuttle?

Associate
Hi

Since a couple of days I've noticed a weird noise from my Shuttle SD11G5 (Pentium M 770, 2GB, Samsung HD, evga 7800GT). Whenever the computer is "doing something" (accessing HD), i get a high pitched (annoying!!) noise. I already opened it up but can't seem to locate where it's coming from.

Also whenever I move my mouse, I get a weird "scratching" noise.

Anyone has experience with this or knows what I can do about it? (turning up fans not to hear it anymore is not an option ;) )

Man of Honour
which samsung is it.. the spinpoint?

I've noticed to that it's quite noisy during heavy I/O.. it's by far the noisiest component i have in my spec. Shame since it was regarded as being almost silent in operation.

Associate
OP
Yes,

It's the 200GB version. But I've never noticed it before. It's almost a scratching, squeaking noise. Really annoying.

Associate
OP
Thanks mate.... Is it high pitched?

This has started 2-3 days ago. Before everything was dead silent. Nobody else who has the same problem? What about the mouse thingy? What could that be?

Soldato
is it a sqeeling noise??? sometimes you get this from the PSU i think when its under stress, though it will sound like its comming from the graphics card (could very well be that also)

Associate
OP
As far as I can say, it's coming from the hard drive. The noise changes with HD activity. I think I will RMA it, as it's only 2-3 months old.

I should be looking for another hard drive I guess....

Soldato
i'm having a similar problem with mine, but its more of a ticking, which matches the pattern on the active LED's on my ram, but its coming from near the cpu. especially when scrolling the mouse

Back
Top Bottom