• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What AMD cpu for a budget gaming build?

Associate
Hey guys - 500 to 600 max.

bread and butter build - im thinking the 5600/x with an RX6600/XT.

What would your choice be, those are mine.
The selling market for a gaming PC is seems saturated now to the point of the windows key been bought for £10 is the only area your gaining over a pre built from a larger company, some builds I can smoke the pre builts on such as the 7800X3D/7900XTX - but dropping into a budget build is like rolling under the door in an Indiana jones movie - just... made... 50p..... ill take it... yes!
If you go on ebay you'll find guys selling their rigs just to get some cash back before they bottom out and become utterly unattractive to buyers, making a budget build apparently pointless if the buyer does not mind 2nd hand from ebay.

Whats your go to budget build for gaming?

Permabanned
I chose a 5700X, as 8 cores so a little bonus backup cores IF needed in my ownership, it allows my RTX 4070 to max out, and I've yet to find ANY game it compromises/holds back the GPU, be it Cyberpunk, Alan Wake 2, TLOU, etc etc, and bar BG3, I've played/completed basically everything out in the last year...

I was going to get a 5800X originally, then found out that was only 6% faster, you can easily push a 5700X well above that with a simple overclock, mine actually beats it in multi core on Cinebench and is only 4 points under in single core.

You can also if bothered often clock a 5700X to 4.7GHz all core with an undervolt at the same time, pretty common/easy. I just didn't feel the need, but may do in future IF required, but all i use it for is gaming and so far so good :)

I looked at a 5800X3D, and in the games that actually use the 3D cache, there isn't 'that much' in it to justify the cost/jump over a 5700x, FWIW I've had no issue playing for example CS2 at 1440p at 465-560 FPS with zero 0.1/1% lows/stutters, so don't worry about falling down that rabbit hole that people will preach.

A 6600XT will be fine for 1080p gaming, a 6700XT or 6750XT would be a better bet though or a 2nd hand 6800 non XT if you can find it. Personally would just get a 6700XT, the 5600X will be fine if you find one cheap enough, but definitely consider a 5700X if you can afford it new or 2nd hand :)

16GB ram is more than enough, try go for 3200MHz CAS 16 timing.

If it works it works, and if it works for you, go for it.

Associate
OP
Indeed!
I got quoted £700 for a 3600 cpu and a 3060 at 12gig. Guy said some parts would be 2nd hand, i mean i know my psu and the tier list and a lot of pre builts are coming in with those ropey PSU.
There are some though doing it the right way (which im one of) - im not actually buying for my self im just trying to get the budget PC option down for buyers.

Associate
Something like this is about as good as I could do while all being in stock.

I put 1TB in because 512GB isn't much cheaper and games are getting huge these days.... pick a different case if preferred but this one looked ok for airflow (install PSU with fan facing down for extra exhaust!)

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £557.29 (includes delivery: £7.99)​
I'm sure someone else will be along shortly with some better ideas (cough @Tetras @mickyflinn cough)​
Edit: If you want a better cooler, pick up a Thermalrite Assassin King for around £16 elsewhere - It's just about keeping my 5950x in line at the moment!​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That sounds like a horrific price for a 3600/3060 pc :(
Not the most appealing deal.
Its still a little difficult to get the price of 3600/3060 with 12 gig of VRAM down to the £500 brand new.
I partially blame ebay sellers - if you get £10 knocked off something brand new thats been used for 4+ years it seems to be the norm now.
Of course no ones building a budget PC with a 3600 processor if you have a clue ATM.

I put 1TB in because 512GB isn't much cheaper and games are getting huge these days.... pick a different case if preferred but this one looked ok for airflow (install PSU with fan facing down for extra exhaust!)

My basket at OcUK:

I'm sure someone else will be along shortly with some better ideas (cough @Tetras @mickyflinn cough)​
Edit: If you want a better cooler, pick up a Thermalrite Assassin King for around £16 elsewhere - It's just about keeping my 5950x in line at the moment!​

Nice build - you might be able to drop the motherboard to B450m-k and then put that saved cash into the 5700x.

Associate
Nice build - you might be able to drop the motherboard to B450m-k and then put that saved cash into the 5700x.

Not unless you can find that motherboard for a fiver :p - I was only going by what's available in stock at OCUK as we're not allowed to mention competitors.

There's definitely a few areas that I've compromised more than I'd be happy about for my own build - I'd like a 5700x minimum, better PSU, probably change the motherboard for the Gaming X or MSI Gaming plus as well as an AXT case, again probably more in the £50-70 range rather than £30.
... but then we're getting on for £700+ all told!

Associate
OP
Not unless you can find that motherboard for a fiver :p - I was only going by what's available in stock at OCUK as we're not allowed to mention competitors.

There's definitely a few areas that I've compromised more than I'd be happy about for my own build - I'd like a 5700x minimum, better PSU, probably change the motherboard for the Gaming X or MSI Gaming plus as well as an AXT case, again probably more in the £50-70 range rather than £30.
... but then we're getting on for £700+ all told!

No dubt man, do you think a few more quid spent on a motherboard makes a big difference?
Gaming FPS wise and stability - id say stability might be the factor, from what ive seen gaming boards tend to add maybe 5-10fps i could be wrong though - overclocking i tend to avoid unless its my own rig.

Associate
It'd be worth it to me, as the VRMs on the boards I mentioned are a lot better for not that much money. This would be even more of a concern if you're planning on building systems for other people, who may potentially want to drop in an upgraded CPU (5950x/5800x3d) down the line....

Check out the VRM tier list on the LTT forums: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1137619-motherboard-vrm-tier-list-v2-currently-amd-only/

I'd take it with a pinch of salt, but the MSI Gaming Plus I mentioned is ranked as A tier (good enough for 5950x maxed out on air/water) while the Gigabyte Gaming X is tier C (5900x if keeping voltages in check).
In contrast the DS3H is tier D and the B450 version is tier E (so probably fine with a 5700x but not much more).

You shouldn't see much difference in FPS, at least until it's throttling the CPU, but with the lower tier boards there is more potential for that to happen

Soldato

My basket at OcUK:

Great build. Its a little more but I’d swap the memory for this.

Associate
Soldato
the only change i would make to the spec is a 5600 not a 5500 It has double the l3 cache and supports pcie gen 4 which the 5500 does not, and its only £25 more

I chose a 5700X, as 8 cores so a little bonus backup cores IF needed in my ownership, it allows my RTX 4070 to max out, and I've yet to find ANY game it compromises/holds back the GPU, be it Cyberpunk, Alan Wake 2, TLOU, etc etc, and bar BG3, I've played/completed basically everything out in the last year...
but the GPU is not a monster is it. a 4070 is a good GPU but should be easy to max out at any res now day.
I was going to get a 5800X originally, then found out that was only 6% faster, you can easily push a 5700X well above that with a simple overclock, mine actually beats it in multi core on Cinebench and is only 4 points under in single core.
you can also over clock the 5600...
16GB ram is more than enough, try go for 3200MHz CAS 16 timing.
no its not get 32gb

Last edited:
Permabanned
but the GPU is not a monster is it. a 4070 is a good GPU but should be easy to max out at any res now day.

you can also over clock the 5600...

the only change i would make to the spec is a 5600 not a 5500 It has double the l3 cache and supports pcie gen 4 which the 5500 does not, and its only £25 more
My ASUS Dual 4070 can play anything you throw at it at 4K DLSS3.5/FG/Reflex at 60+ fps, even AW2 at max settings with RT/PT off.

It is only a 2.5 slot dual fan card that will fit in pretty much any case, all whilst completely silent with the fans barely kicking in ever when it bothers to go above 60C, which isn't often, with zero coil wine in a completely whisper quiet system...

So I'd say it's pretty decent...

The 5700x gives him an extra couple of cores for a bit of future proof headroom, they overclock like beasts, I had 4850mhz out of mine on all core when I played with it last night as a first try just playing with PBO/CO...
It scored a 921 in Cinebench 2024 and a 5800x stock did 824... So I'd call that a win.

Last edited:
Soldato
In row power it’s same as a 3080. Fake frames are mmmm. At 4k the 4070 can throw out 30fps mid to low settings.

7600x can crush every game you pay cores are not that important, there is a big deviation over if you need 6 or 8.
but on a low budget 5600 and put extra cash into GPU

Last edited:
Permabanned
In row power it’s same as a 3080. Fake frames are mmmm. At 4k the 4070 can throw out 30fps mid to low settings.
So you've never actually used one and are misquoting nonsense from kids on YT then...
At native 4K it can use high settings in TLOU with the latest patch and achieve 58-64fps depending on the level... So no.
It also will happily do max settings in Rachet & Clank at 56-58fps native 4k...

Having tried DLSS3.5 on and off it is VERY hard to tell, so I couldn't care less. Considering the price difference of your 4080, I'd say I win.

Back
Top Bottom