What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Ricky Stanicky - 5.5/10

It's not as bad as I thought it might be as it started, but I struggle with movies like this where the main characters are d*cks who change themselves right at the end of the movie. (I think I struggled with Up for the same reason?)
I think if it wasn’t John Cena playing the role of Ricky, the movie would’ve been dead in the water.

Man of Honour
I've got no 'real interest' in the subject matter, but I'd watch it cause it's a Nolan and the casting, if I walk into it open minded, will I like it? I'm just thinking a less is more approach.

You’ll need to be mindful of two things:

(1) it’s a dialogue heavy film.
(2) it’s not in a strict chronological order - which is very ‘Nolan-y’. This isn’t a spoiler because that becomes obvious about 2 minute in.

Man of Honour
Black Rain (1989)

Haven't seen it in along time, probably back on VHS.

Great looking film, a very 80's sounding score, good acting and direction. My only real criticism is, despite the Japanese setting, it's still a story we've all seen before, even for a film made in 1989.

7/10

Soldato
Poor things
Easy 9/10. Incredibly unique film that treats the audience like actual adults.

I think I would have considered it a masterpiece if the pacing was a bit better particularly in act 3 which feels rushed compared to the rest of the film.

Unlike the dire Barbie film this is a great example of how to make a film about female empowerment and masculinity whilst not beating your male audience with a 'you bad' stick.

Last edited:
Soldato
Poor things
Easy 9/10. Incredibly unique film that treats the audience like actual adults.

I think I would have considered it a masterpiece if the pacing was a bit better particularly in act 3 which feels rushed compared to the rest of the film.

Unlike the dire Barbie film this is a great example of how to make a film about female empowerment and masculinity whilst not beating your male audience with a 'you bad' stick.
I personally thought this film was dire. All the men were either useless or evil. More female empowerment claptrap with unlikeable characters. Nothing to hold your interest at all. No idea what all the hype is about. And I'm normally a fan of lanthimos. Terrible film.

Last edited:
Soldato
And I'll say this again, Nolan needs to fire his audio mixer, the dialogue is so difficult to hear.

His films can be terrible on dialogue (Tenet, Interstellar were the worst for me) but I saw Oppenheimer twice at the cinema. First in a Showcase X-Plus and the dialogue was perfectly fine, could hear everything clearly. The second in a Cineworld liemax, and could barely make out a lot of the dialogue, even though I had already seen it.

The difference was that apparent, so maybe it's not just Nolans fetish for bad dialogue audio :p

Mobster
Soldato
That really annoys me when the action is stupid loud and the dialogue is quiet.
I have a setting on my tv that fixes this however :D

Yeah so do I but the issue is more how Nolan puts background noise or effects whilst people are speaking. He does it on purpose as it is more realistic, I remember reading about it for Tenet after that stupid scene on the boat where I don’t care what anyone says, it was completely unintelligible.

Be interested to hear what you think. It certainly doesn’t feel like three hours, I just came away feeling quite cold about the whole thing and I wasn’t expecting that.

Suspended
I wanted to watch 'Anatomy of a fall' last night

My wife didn't fancy a 2 1/2 hour foreign language movie, so we ended up watching (the almost equally lengthy) Argylle

I wish I had fought my corner more, absolute rubbish.

5 plot twists too many, and I didn't
Believe Bryce Dallas Howard as a brainwashed ass kicking super spy.

3/10

Last edited:
Soldato
Poor Things - 7/10

I liked parts of the film. I was really bought into it in the beginning, but as Bella becomes more learned my interest waned. I think it needed a further edit, as there were parts that dragged and parts that seemed rushed, such as the return to London.

I’m not sure about the plaudits for Mark Ruffalo, I don’t see it, but I thought Willem Dafoe was much better and Emma Stone was brilliant, of course.

Overall, I never really ‘enjoy’ Lanthimos films, they’re more of an experience than anything. And I probably wouldn’t watch it again.

Soldato
I tried watching Poor Things but switched it off after an hour as it wasn't holding my interest and I kept looking at my watch. Not sure why but it obviously just isn't my kind of film.

I think I'm only gonna watch it if it wins the Oscar for Best Picture. It looks so annoying. :D

Soldato
Some others recently...

Damsel - surprisingly good. A bit of a dodgy start, but actually ends up being a fun adventure. Millie Bobbie Brown is pretty good in in it too. Ray Winstone, not so much. 7/10.
Tiger Stripes - unusual but decent horror. Decent acting from a young cast. 7/10.
The Origin - a great horror set in the stone age. Original and very good. 7/10.
Loop Track - a pretty great horror/thriller. Certainly a bit different. 6/10.

Last edited:
Yesterday I watched All Quiet On The Western Front (1930).
Surprisingly good given the age of it. Worth your time in my opinion.

Watching the 1979 version today - halfway through it as I post this!

The new version is good too.

All three variations of the book capture the hopelessness pretty well. I haven't read the book.

Soldato
Dune 8/10

Could have done a little more with the ending, felt a bit rushed compared to the rest.

Still a great film, hopefully they can make a third, will be interesting for sure if they do !

Back
Top Bottom