What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Highlander - Not seen this for what must be 20+ years and if you like over the top music/explosions and the illogical destruction of the surrounds that would make Micheal Bay proud then oh boy this is one for you :D I'd forgotten just how 80s this film is.
Im not really a fan on remakes of old films but this is calling out for one, the backstory makes it.

Soldato
Highlander - Not seen this for what must be 20+ years and if you like over the top music/explosions and the illogical destruction of the surrounds that would make Micheal Bay proud then oh boy this is one for you :D I'd forgotten just how 80s this film is.
Im not really a fan on remakes of old films but this is calling out for one, the backstory makes it.

Who could they cast these days?

It isn't easy finding actors with the skill to play a Scottish character with a French/American accent and an Spanish/Egyptian character with a Scottish accent.

Soldato
Hitmans Wifes Bodyguard. Terrible, turned it off before halfway. While it's hardly a classic the first was great entertainment, watched it three times! This is just awful in every way.

Last edited:

taB

taB

Associate
The Land of Saints and Sinners (Netflix)

Surprisingly good "assassin takes on one more job before retirement" thriller based in Ireland and starring Liam Neeson amongst others.

Think it benefits hugely by not being made or set in the USA so there is some actual depth to it, developed characters etc

+ Colm Meaney.

Better than the usual Netflix dross.

Associate
Who could they cast these days?

It isn't easy finding actors with the skill to play a Scottish character with a French/American accent and an Spanish/Egyptian character with a Scottish accent.
a remake? Who could they cast? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235529/?ref_=nm_flmg_unrel_4_act :)

Man of Honour
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)

Better than "Rise" in almost every way and probably the best of the reboot/remake trilogy.

Just "War" to watch before "Kingdom" next weekend.

8.5/10

Reactions: Kyo
Associate
Emily the Criminal (2022) - 8/10

An interesting story about desperate people turning to victimless crime due to their financial strains and the American labor laws not really giving them much of a choice.

The plot covers the ups and downs of their journey with the odd tense moment, escalating to a fitting and somewhat realistic finale.

Strong acting and character development as it shows their relationship grow and you begin to sympathize with them and their humble ambitions.

Whilst the attitude of “once a criminal, always a criminal” if given motive, means, opportunity and a morally grey compass is unfair, it’s hard to ignore in some cases.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
The Next Three Days - never watched this movie before. Saw it on prime and was pleasantly surprised how good it was, it by no means was perfect but Russell Crowe put in a good shift. My only grip was the ending not exactly satisfying but nevertheless it was enjoyable. 7/10.

Soldato
Arthur the King - surprisingly pretty good. I love a good companion movie and no better setting that a Extreme adventure race. It has been adapted by Hollywood but has not strayed too much from the true story. Mark is pretty solid, as well as his crew. 7.5/10
Yeah, I've just watched this and really enjoyed it. I would perhaps go as far as 8/10. The dogs face descending into the water was perhaps a step too far but apart from that, rather enjoyable and a little inspiration too tbh.

Reactions: Kyo

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Yeah, I've just watched this and really enjoyed it. I would perhaps go as far as 8/10. The dogs face descending into the water was perhaps a step too far but apart from that, rather enjoyable and a little inspiration too tbh.

yeah that was over dramatic and a bit cheap imo. Still thoroughly enjoyed it though. I read the real Arthur successfully went back to Sweden and lived a further 6 years with a loving family.

Last edited:
Associate
No Escape - Solid 7/10

Thought I was going into a corny action film and then it basically turned into a horror film lol. I was not mentally prepared for how tense this was going to be.

Man of Honour
War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

Maybe because I've seen it three or four times now I do feel it's about twenty minutes too long, but still a good film overall.

The CGI is mind blowingly good and the Atmos soundtrack is used to full effect during the battle scenes.

"Bad Ape" adds some comic relief that's a little out of place at times and especially noticeable compared to the previous two films, when watched back to back.

7/10

Associate
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace 4/10

25 years have not been kind both quality and culturally wise. The acting and constant attempts at humour are poor. The racial stereotyping is cringe inducing.

The pod racing sequence still mostly holds up and the final Darth Maul fight.

Oh and Jar Jar Binks…. Amending my score down 10 points -6/10

Man of Honour
Tarot

I fancied something pretty silly and popcorny so why not head out for an early viewing of some horror dross?

Well, there is good reason why, because this film was embarrassingly ****. It could not be lazier and more contrived with its plot, set-up and execution. There are some good effects and the actors are ok but it’s just so bland and full of nothing that I was, ironically, dying for it to end.

2/10

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace 4/10

25 years have not been kind both quality and culturally wise. The acting and constant attempts at humour are poor. The racial stereotyping is cringe inducing.

The pod racing sequence still mostly holds up and the final Darth Maul fight.

Oh and Jar Jar Binks…. Amending my score down 10 points -6/10
And incredibly still better than the dross sequels KK came up with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom