What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Tarot

I fancied something pretty silly and popcorny so why not head out for an early viewing of some horror dross?

Well, there is good reason why, because this film was embarrassingly ****. It could not be lazier and more contrived with its plot, set-up and execution. There are some good effects and the actors are ok but it’s just so bland and full of nothing that I was, ironically, dying for it to end.

2/10

I had been thinking of going to see that, so I'm glad you took one for the team so we don't have to now :p

• Haha
Reactions: Kyo
Caporegime
The Fall Guy 6/10

Proper switch your brain off and watch the action type film. Don’t let the plot bother you.

Fine if you don’t go in expecting Shakespeare.

Same. I'd liken it to edging, it constantly felt like it was about to get awesome and then would stumble over in a long dialogue which just killed the moment, time and time again. It also felt like it had all the pieces for an epic puzzle, but the pieces just didn't fit correctly. It just lacked flow.

Still a decent couple of hours tho.

Soldato
"In the land of saints and sinners" on Netflix. Actually one of Liam Neesons better films of late, which to be fair isn't saying a lot. Plays a much more complicated character than normal. Some decent supporting performances too.

6.5/10
Yeah, I quite enjoyed it. Reasonably simple story line, good enough acting. 6.5/10 is probably about right, maybe even a 7 on a generous day.

Don
Same. I'd liken it to edging, it constantly felt like it was about to get awesome and then would stumble over in a long dialogue which just killed the moment, time and time again. It also felt like it had all the pieces for an epic puzzle, but the pieces just didn't fit correctly. It just lacked flow.

Still a decent couple of hours tho.
I think Emily Blunt is possibly miscast in this, certainly pretty much all the worst of it involves scenes with her.

The Fall Guy - 7/10
I'll be generous, bit of a let down with the romance sub-plot that doesn't totally work because of the above, but the rest of it is good fun, nice practical stunts and the credit scenes showing them being done for real is a nice touch.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Haven't watched the original in a few years.

Watchmen - Ultimate Cut. An extra hour on top of the theatrical cut. 3.5 hours ! Forgot how well made it was. One of Synder best work imo amd up there in this genre. It really did have a solid cast that brought Alan Moore's work to life. Near Perfection. 9/10.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Gojira -1.0.

At the end of WWII, failed kamikaze pilot Kōichi Shikishima suffers a crippling combination of survivor's guilt and PTSD following his narrow escape from Gojira's attack on an island garrison of the Dai-Nippon Teikoku Rikugun.

Returning home to find Tokyo bombed to ruins and his parents dead, he attempts to rebuild his life in the company of an orphan baby and a young woman whose parents were also killed by the American bombings.

Nuclear experiments by the US army cause Gojira to mutate and grow prodigously, and he attacks the Ogasawara Islands for no apparent reason. Briefly repelled by a lucky blast from a sea mine, he returns later to finish off whatever's left of Tokyo.

With the US military too nervous to intervene in case Vladimir Putin drops a nuclear weapon on Times Square, and the Japanese government bizarrely deciding it's best if they just do nothing and hope Gojira goes away, Shikishima and his buddies must work with a private sector consortium to defeat the monster once and for all, using... bubbles and balloons? :confused:

I liked the retro setting, and the low-tech approach to beating Gojira. I also enjoyed this iteration of his atomic breath, which was powerful enough to vaporise an entire heavy cruiser. The effects are good too. But that's the most I can give it.

For a 2 hour movie, Gojira -1.0 has atrocious pacing. There's too much 'human interest' material, and most of it involves humans we've been given too few reasons to be interested in. Gojira himself barely appears, and doesn't do much when he does; he's not even the main focus of the plot, he's just a plot device for a different kind of story.

I rate Gojira -1.0 at 16.65 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a bitterly mediocre 5/10 on IMDB.

Last edited:
Soldato
Gojira -1.0.

At the end of WWII, failed kamikaze pilot Kōichi Shikishima suffers a crippling combination of survivor's guilt and PTSD following his narrow escape from Gojira's attack on an island garrison of the Dai-Nippon Teikoku Rikugun.

Returning home to find Tokyo bombed to ruins and his parents dead, he attempts to rebuild his life in the company of an orphan baby and a young woman whose parents were also killed by the American bombings.

Nuclear experiments by the US army cause Gojira to mutate and grow prodigously, and he attacks the Ogasawara Islands for no apparent reason. Briefly repelled by a lucky blast from a sea mine, he returns later to finish off whatever's left of Tokyo.

With the US military too nervous to intervene in case Vladimir Putin drops a nuclear weapon on Times Square, and the Japanese government bizarrely deciding it's best if they just do nothing and hope Gojira goes away, Shikishima and his buddies must work with a private sector consortium to defeat the monster once and for all, using... bubbles and balloons? :confused:

I liked the retro setting, and the low-tech approach to beating Gojira. I also enjoyed this iteration of his atomic breath, which was powerful enough to vaporise an entire heavy cruiser. The effects are good too. But that's the most I can give it.

For a 2 hour movie, Gojira -1.0 has atrocious pacing. There's too much 'human interest' material, and most of it involves humans we've been given too few reasons to be interested in. Gojira himself barely appears, and doesn't do much when he does; he's not even the main focus of the plot, he's just a plot device for a different kind of story.

I rate Gojira -1.0 at 16.65 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a bitterly mediocre 5/10 on IMDB.
Agreed.

Utterly disappointing.

Melodramatic, badly paced, horrible lead actor (both in ability and character) and just not much fun to watch. Some of the effects were great. I liked Godzilla (when it appeared) and it had a good opening 15 mins. Gutted. After all that hype. 5/10.

Caporegime
Agreed.

Utterly disappointing.

Melodramatic, badly paced, horrible lead actor (both in ability and character) and just not much fun to watch. Some of the effects were great. I liked Godzilla (when it appeared) and it had a good opening 15 mins. Gutted. After all that hype. 5/10.

It was also very limited in scope; the entire thing looked and felt like a much smaller movie than Shin. Even the amount of damage caused was negligible by Toho standards, as if Gojira was just some awkward local problem for a single prefecture to take care of.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Rain man

Probably never ever watch it ever again, but I guess at that time it was ground breaking with superb acting from hoffman but Cruise just played the part badly literally just angry for 2 hours.

Soldato
Movies I have enjoyed recently:
  • Deadstream (8/10). Brilliant! Have watched this before. Please check it out!
  • Disappear Completely (7.5). After visiting a crime scene, an ambitious and insensitive tabloid crime photographer, falls victim to a mysterious illness that makes him lose, one by one, his five senses.
  • You'll Never Find Me (7.5). Patrick, a strange and lonely resident, lives in a mobile home at the back of an isolated trailer park. After a violent storm, a mysterious young woman appears at his door seeking shelter from the elements.
  • Anatomy Of A Fall (8/10). Incredible really. Some of the best acting I've ever seen (by Sandra Hüller). A woman is suspected of murder after her husband's death; their half-blind son faces a moral dilemma as the main witness.
  • Attachment (6.5/10). Maja, a Danish has-been actress, falls in love with Leah, a Jewish academic from London. Leah suffers a mysterious seizure, and Maja returns with her to London. There, she meets Leah's mother, Chana, a woman who could hold dark secrets.

Soldato
Godzilla Minus One - 6.5/10

I'll straight up say it. I've watched it very late and avoided every spoiler known to man and with the accolades this got I was expecting something special as I am a fanboi. I preferred Shin - seen it countless times and I can't say I'll watch this that much when I do purchase it for my collection.

This film just didn't click with me and whilst I enjoyed it, I was somewhat bored with the human element. Shin had loads of human led plot which I found engaging to watch but the plot here was just boring to me and the main protagonist didn't really click. Spikeyboi as terrifying usual was awesome but I felt there needed to be more of him.

Suspended
Haven't watched the original in a few years.

Watchmen - Ultimate Cut. An extra hour on top of the theatrical cut. 3.5 hours ! Forgot how well made it was. One of Synder best work imo amd up there in this genre. It really did have a solid cast that brought Frank Miller's work to life. Near Perfection. 9/10.
Frank Miller's work?

img

img

Associate
The idea of you 6/10
Anne Hathaway looks good and chemistry was pretty good on screen really. I've seen much worse and if we scale onscreen chemistry at a 0 from 'You People' then they did well.

Man of Honour
Tangled - Catching up on some Disney before we visit next year. Actually good fun.

The Banker - Making use of the 3 months free trial. Good film. Performances are really good, surprising given one of the actors is Anthony Mackie.

Back
Top Bottom