What is most likely to cause high fuel consumption?

Associate
OP
the correct answer is: driving above 50 mph

my first answer is agrresive braking , but the correct answer is driving above 50mph...

i do some question papers, aggresive braking and acceleration will consume more fuel will be the asnwer, but the above question is difeerent...anybody can tell me why driving above 50 consume more fuel? ...

Soldato
anybody can tell me why driving above 50 consume more fuel? ...

I'm guessing it's taking the engine a lot more work to overcome wind resistance which gradually becomes more turbulant as you cut through it, which means more fuel is spent causing a net movement in the direction you want at a constant speed.

Soldato
the correct answer is: driving above 50 mph

my first answer is agrresive braking , but the correct answer is driving above 50mph...

i do some question papers, aggresive braking and acceleration will consume more fuel will be the asnwer, but the above question is difeerent...anybody can tell me why driving above 50 consume more fuel? ...

I think the test is wrong, I've done a long run with my car at 55MPH and averaged 35MPG, did another run at 78MPH and got 38MPG. Both runs were ~250 miles. I emailed the guy who runs the website asking for clarification anyway.

Soldato
That is a very poor test, several of the questions have more than one answer and many are worded poorly.

Use the official practice tests instead.

Soldato
b. Aggressive braking

If you slow down lots you have to speed up lots which uses more fuel.

Every time you brake you're converting kinetic energy into heat energy (friction on the brakes). The harder you brake the hotter your brakes become, meaning more kinetic energy wasted.

[TW]Fox;14720289 said:
You need to use fuel to accelerate back up to the speed you aggresively braked from.

Poorly worded question and assumptions all round.
Braking aggressively does not increase fuel consumption at all.

Braking to a stop, aggressive or not doesn't increase consumption.
However, as you all have pointed out, braking when you don't have to, does.

However, this is all about assumptions and they probably mean still moving, not stopping.
Oohhh I hate theories, half of them need to be re-written. (at least in jersey).

Soldato
Theory test answer is C, Driving above 50mph as agressive braking, does not mean you have accelerated aggresively.

50 MPH is generally seen as the most economical "average" speed by the authorities, although like the braking it depends on the vehicle you are driving and how you are driving.

:D

Soldato
I think the test is wrong, I've done a long run with my car at 55MPH and averaged 35MPG, did another run at 78MPH and got 38MPG. Both runs were ~250 miles. I emailed the guy who runs the website asking for clarification anyway.

I get much better economy at 80mph than I do at 60 or 70. No idea why though. I'm driving up to York later tonight so I'll test this out again (assuming the traffic isn't too bad)

Soldato
Something to do with gearing I'd imagine.

I remember when I had my space saver spare wheel on and had to get to work down the A380, so had to do 50. My fuel consumption was reading 95mpg by the end of it :eek: - I can only think that the guage gets less accurate either side of the average norm

Associate
I totally disagree with that test.

Driving above 50mph should significantly decrease fuel consumption. Assuming it's a constant speed in a high gear.

Aggressive braking would definitely increase fuel consumotion, purely for the reason that your wasting energy that you've already used up. Scanning the road ahead and using acceleration sense to avoid braking altogether uses far less fuel.

Soldato
Poorly worded question and assumptions all round.
Braking aggressively does not increase fuel consumption at all.

Braking to a stop, aggressive or not doesn't increase consumption.
However, as you all have pointed out, braking when you don't have to, does.

However, this is all about assumptions and they probably mean still moving, not stopping.
Oohhh I hate theories, half of them need to be re-written. (at least in jersey).

Correctamundo.

My answer would be driving above 50mph

Caporegime
Standing still in traffic kills my fuel economy. I get 10mpg and that's only because the guage won't display any lower than that.

Same here.....

P1010029.jpg

:D

Soldato
Aggressive braking & Going above 50mph

why?

Braking is burning off energy you used (fuel) to get moving. Try and coast up to lights, never brake on motorways just look far ahead and ease off etc.

Going above 50mph, drag gets higher and higher the faster you go so car has to work harder. Gearing causes the exact figure to change, so some cars may be able to cruise at 65-70, were as my shopping trolley looses mpg at anything over 50. IE 50mph is 40mpg, 70mpg is 31mpg etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom