What is the version of DOS in Windows 10?

Associate
I am wondering what the DOS version is in Windows 10? I can't find any answers in google. I want to try install the DOS from Windows 10 to a CF Card to try out in a retro machine just for experimentation. I'm guessing that the DOS that comes with Windows 10 might not be able to run without windows?

I did try FORMAT H: /S in the CMD but it gave an error

H: is my CF Card

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Thats a shame I quite liked some of the features in the command interpretation, plus being able to change text color.

0ljCxc4.jpeg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thats a shame I quite liked some of the features in the command interpretation, plus being able to change text color.

There are ways to change the text colour in DOS but I'm a bit out of the loop and it depends a bit on version, pretty sure there are distributions of DOS now which include most of the features found in 10/11.

Soldato
Copy this into a batch script and run it. Do it in a Windows 10 command prompt first, then on your DOS pc to see if it still works on that.

Code:
@echo off

for /F %%a in ('echo prompt $E ^| cmd') do set "ESC=%%a"

echo %ESC%[41mRed Background%ESC%[0m
echo %ESC%[42mGreen Background%ESC%[0m
echo %ESC%[43mYellow Background%ESC%[0m
echo %ESC%[44mBlue Background%ESC%[0m
echo %ESC%[45mMagenta Background%ESC%[0m
echo %ESC%[46mCyan Background%ESC%[0m

echo %ESC%[31mRed Forground%ESC%[0m
echo %ESC%[32mGreen Forground%ESC%[0m
echo %ESC%[33mYellow Forground%ESC%[0m
echo %ESC%[34mBlue Forground%ESC%[0m
echo %ESC%[35mMagenta Forground%ESC%[0m
echo %ESC%[36mCyan Forground%ESC%[0m

echo %ESC%[2;47;30mBlack on White%ESC%[0m

echo %ESC%[1;40;37mWhite on Black Bright%ESC%[0m
echo %ESC%[2;40;37mWhite on Black Normal%ESC%[0m
echo %ESC%[4;40;37mWhite on Black Underline%ESC%[0m
echo.
echo %ESC%[7mJust reverse the default colours%ESC%[0m

Google "ANSI escape codes in dos" for the various code numbers for different colours. I believe this may require DEVICE = C:\DOS\ANSI.SYS in your config.sys file on the DOS pc. I think a Windows 10 command prompt will already have this loaded.

The first line is the magic bit, it is a nifty way to create the "escape" character as a variable which can be used in a Dos script. Don't ask me how that bit works.

@Retro6

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom