What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Did you buy one of oakwoods build packs or are you flying blind?
Build pack. I wouldn't have a scooby w.r.t to materials. His bill of materials list is fantastic, just removes any major thought. Although I am 1 bucket of ballast extra and 4 bags of cement :cry: (I'd say that's in tolerance!).

I want whatever job dlockers has that he can do this much DIY on a weekday. I've been rushing home 45min early 3x a week to try and push forward.
Haha I have booked the time off. 4 days this week, and then ~4 days end of May.

I ordered the doors yesterday, they come May 28th. I am not bothering with a window so went for the 3M with integrated blindes....at 3k I will need to get some overtime in.

Soldato
Build pack. I wouldn't have a scooby w.r.t to materials. His bill of materials list is fantastic, just removes any major thought. Although I am 1 bucket of ballast extra and 4 bags of cement :cry: (I'd say that's in tolerance!).
Nice one, yeah I was considering buying one when I build mine. That rod system sold it to me, saves digging out, though I can't imagine they are cheap.

Do you have a rough idea how much the whole build will cost you?

Soldato
Nice one, yeah I was considering buying one when I build mine. That rod system sold it to me, saves digging out, though I can't imagine they are cheap.

Do you have a rough idea how much the whole build will cost you?
I track all of my spends (yes, every single thing) pretty autistic-ly. So far I am in £6155.35. Major costs were obviously wood, steal (£300), roof (£800), doors (£3k). Rods were £423 IIRC - cheaper than I expected.

Soldato
Not sure it's a man job but my plumber was round today and most my bathroom is finished. Just needs some final silicone and fixing a panel by the toilet then it will be done.

Enjoying that niche that can fit bottles in it @dlockers :D

WO1SssP.jpeg

Qncoqyr.jpeg

ADtmq7I.jpeg

cma04of.jpeg

New radiator in office too
2uALK9h.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
That makes me feel slightly better :p :D

-------

Slow day today. I barely slept - my carpal tunnel is kicking my ass. I need the operation on both hands but just don't fancy it enough :cry:

Get them done - It's like being reborn.
I had both done - The youth in training did a perfect job on right hand but consultant messed up left hand -Never known pain like it - but in the end it was well worth having them done.

PS -No sign of me ever having them done - No scar -nothing

rmvwo8r.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I had both done - The youth in training did a perfect job on right hand but consultant messed up left hand -Never known pain like it - but in the end it was well worth having them done.

rmvwo8r.png
How long was your recovery? My dad had both done at the same time and mowed the lawn when he got home.......... he was built differently to me tho :cry:

Associate

rmvwo8r.png
Definitely an operation worth having and within a few days I was putting up a feather edge fence. Only issue was the skin didn't knit together correctly and when the stitches were removed the wound fully opened up as I sat in the doctors office. Now that made me feel a little :(

Associate

Haha I have booked the time off. 4 days this week, and then ~4 days end of May.

I ordered the doors yesterday, they come May 28th. I am not bothering with a window so went for the 3M with integrated blindes....at 3k I will need to get some overtime in.
Loving your work and I have been watching some oakwoods videos for inspiration.
At the moment I need to build a large shed but don't know about material selection for the build. Have you come across anyone who builds an ultimate shed in the safe sort of way as oakwoods

Soldato
Loving your work and I have been watching some oakwoods videos for inspiration.
At the moment I need to build a large shed but don't know about material selection for the build. Have you come across anyone who builds an ultimate shed in the safe sort of way as oakwoods

My plan was to do a large shed like the above in similar style.

Soldato
Yeah the overall system is pretty straight forward, depending on your "ground". I mean the easiest rods were dug in about 15 mins per hole, MAX. And I guess a shed would be adequate a fraction of the size. The material cost grows exponentially with size though - the bigger you go, the more steal you need, the bigger doors you need, the more wood you need, the bigger the rubber etc. At 6k, take off 3k for the doors, and that's your base price for an unfinished no electricity "shed" shell of 6x3.5.

Associate
Yeah the overall system is pretty straight forward, depending on your "ground". I mean the easiest rods were dug in about 15 mins per hole, MAX. And I guess a shed would be adequate a fraction of the size. The material cost grows exponentially with size though - the bigger you go, the more steal you need, the bigger doors you need, the more wood you need, the bigger the rubber etc. At 6k, take off 3k for the doors, and that's your base price for an unfinished no electricity "shed" shell of 6x3.5.
I have actually dug out a base a put in a concrete base. My biggest issue is getting to grips with the sizes of wood required for a base, side walls, roof etc

Soldato
Managed to squeeze in a session before dinner pulling one of the trickiest cables - running under the floor where I haven't got any boards up, towards a light switch. Snapped the old cable so waited til after dinner and attacked it with string, wire pulling lube and work gloves. Result!

Just 3 more cables to pull on Saturday and I can totally call the council to come sign off my electrics :p

Soldato
How long was your recovery? My dad had both done at the same time and mowed the lawn when he got home.......... he was built differently to me tho :cry:
Can't remember now as it was in around 1990. My left hand was done again after about a month and was perfect - Thinking about it after posting I can't believe I went so long before it was done - The doc was a idiot -every time I went in he said the same thing -FWT.
I asked him after a while and he said Fair Wear and Tear.
It was only when doc was on holiday the temp Doc said it was Carpel so got me in.
Being left handed I do remember writing out cheques for shopping was a pain.
Like others have said -Get it done as soon as you can. You will thank us.

I don't think they slit you open now -It's key Hole surgery. :D

Associate
Had my hand done two years ago now & you end up with your hand looking like the image that's been posted.

The only thing that concerned me was when they drew on my arm a big arrow pointing out where to cut.

Reminded me of the old joke about someone going in to have their tonsils removed and they turned the table around in error and he left as an eunuch with a tear in his eye

Soldato
Can't remember now as it was in around 1990. My left hand was done again after about a month and was perfect - Thinking about it after posting I can't believe I went so long before it was done - The doc was a idiot -every time I went in he said the same thing -FWT.
I asked him after a while and he said Fair Wear and Tear.
It was only when doc was on holiday the temp Doc said it was Carpel so got me in.
Being left handed I do remember writing out cheques for shopping was a pain.
Like others have said -Get it done as soon as you can. You will thank us.

I don't think they slit you open now -It's key Hole surgery. :D

Cheques for shopping!!

Soldato
Looks good... I definitely need something similar. I am still using 2 old IKEA dining tables that once upon a time were desks. It is a right pain!

---------

Super slow progress today. I had to single lift the 3.5m spans and then the 6m big boy. Everything is bolted down now. Then started to tackle the joist hangers which have become another one of my top-least-favourite-things-ever.

My hands are FUBAR so it is tough going now. The roof arrived as a bit of a tease tho :cry:

GNrcNxv.jpg

Back
Top Bottom